Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2012

I just delivered a translation about 3 days late. It was a translation of approx. 35,000 words. While it ended up taking a lot longer than I had thought, I've had a month to do it and I should somehow have planned and organized the work process better. Because of the delay, I decided to subtract a small amount from the invoice, as a symbolic indication that I assume responsibility (and since I think that there must be some sort of consequences when agreements are not fulfilled). I've already sen... See more
I just delivered a translation about 3 days late. It was a translation of approx. 35,000 words. While it ended up taking a lot longer than I had thought, I've had a month to do it and I should somehow have planned and organized the work process better. Because of the delay, I decided to subtract a small amount from the invoice, as a symbolic indication that I assume responsibility (and since I think that there must be some sort of consequences when agreements are not fulfilled). I've already sent the invoice.

In any event, I was curious about hearing other people's opinions about appropriate measures when "we" end up delivering late.

What would be appropriate and tactful ways to indicate that responsibility is assumed? If an amount should be deducted, how would you calculate it, what percentage etc.?

Are there any more or less established practices on this matter?

Thomas

[Edited at 2012-10-11 08:23 GMT]
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 10:38
German to English
+ ...
Firstly Oct 11, 2012

I'd inform the client that you're going to be late. Some clients are not too worried by a late job, others are. It's then up to you and the client to agree on a reduction of the fee. I personally would offer 10% (but not in the first communication, since if the client is not much concerned, I'd not offer a reduction

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
Never happened to me, Oct 11, 2012

but I would warn the client before the initially agreed deadline and suggest partial deliveries.

Since your translation was rather long, this would have given the proofreader(s) the chance to start working on the agreed date and maybe even finish on schedule.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Assuming responsibility for late delivery

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »