Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Dec 12, 2014

I received a concerning email from one of my "beloved" Indian Agencies. I thought I had to share it with you all.

Thanks for your hard work and trust in us.

We would like to report that [email protected], & [email protected],) was entrusted with all the email ids of our good translators. She was terminated from the job because of wrong commitments to clients and tra
... See more
I received a concerning email from one of my "beloved" Indian Agencies. I thought I had to share it with you all.

Thanks for your hard work and trust in us.

We would like to report that [email protected], & [email protected],) was entrusted with all the email ids of our good translators. She was terminated from the job because of wrong commitments to clients and translators while in service.

The phone that was entrusted to her, was returned back to us formatted, physically broken and all the data was stolen and copied to her own phone.

One of our translator asked for her overdue payment from us. Kindly do not blame us for any trust you place in her (she may come forward with any other email id).

In case she writes (or else in our support), let her have a piece of your mind about stealing in this business of literate and learned people. How stealing from where you have worked is the worst form of starting a business.

She claims that you are ‘Freelancers’ and can work for anyone. Do let her know your views.
Affectionately,

xxxxxxxxx
Director & Senior Vice President
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ethics by proxy? Dec 12, 2014

DJHartmann wrote:
In case she writes (or else in our support), let her have a piece of your mind about stealing in this business of literate and learned people. How stealing from where you have worked is the worst form of starting a business.

She claims that you are ‘Freelancers’ and can work for anyone. Do let her know your views.

Although I simpathise with the agency and agree that the alleged behaviour is unacceptable, is it not a bit patronising that the agency emails their freelancers to tell them what to do in case the offender gets in touch?

ipv
ipv
Member (2015)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Me too! Dec 12, 2014

I received the same email, though I have never worked with this agency

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
What? Dec 12, 2014

Affectionately,

xxxxxxxxx
Director & Senior Vice President

It seems this Director & Senior Vice President is a bit misguided himself.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Relevant and irrelevant information Dec 12, 2014

Perhaps they forgot to say that she stole two rolls of toilet paper from their restrooms last time she visited their offices, and also took the chance to write the f-word with lipstick on the mirror there. A hired expert confirmed it was in her handwriting.

I could go nitpicking on their message, however IMHO what they SHOULD write is:

1. Please be notified that Ms. X is no longer employed by us, and has no other business relationship with us, therefore since (date) she is no longer authorized to do anything at all on our behalf.

2. FYI she was discharged for having deliberately infringed our internal policies and regulations on different occasions. If you have any unfinished business with her, kindly let us know the details, so we can follow through.

3. Since she has your contact information, it is possible that she will attempt to hire you for additional work. Please be aware that she will not be doing so on our behalf, but on her own, so we will not be liable in any way for anything going wrong there. In short: from now on, if you take any assignment from her, it will be your own decision, at your own risk.

Since we value your cooperation, we thought it would be fair to let you know.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Relevant vs irrelevant information Dec 12, 2014

It is proper to notify translators that she no longer works for the LSP XXX, and this is the only relevant information from this message.

Willy van Willigen
Willy van Willigen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with a more professional message to the involved Dec 12, 2014

I agree with José, all other information should not be published to people external to the translation agency. To my opinion it harms the reputation of the agency itself as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency Ethics

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »