Bárbara Hammerle López-Francos
Bárbara Hammerle López-Francos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:45
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2016

Hello,

I am thinking about asking my major customers for feedback. The idea is that I would like to find out if they are happy with my work or which aspects of my work should be improved. I developed therefore a short questionnaire (3 questions). But I have still some concerns about this practice. I am not sure whether customers (e.g. translation agencies) are willing to spend some extra time on such an activity even it takes only a few minutes. How is the best way of asking for fee
... See more
Hello,

I am thinking about asking my major customers for feedback. The idea is that I would like to find out if they are happy with my work or which aspects of my work should be improved. I developed therefore a short questionnaire (3 questions). But I have still some concerns about this practice. I am not sure whether customers (e.g. translation agencies) are willing to spend some extra time on such an activity even it takes only a few minutes. How is the best way of asking for feedback in your opinion?
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Good idea Jan 11, 2016

If it's only three questions, I think most of your customers would be happy to complete it. You could even send it with each job.
Customer surveys are also good marketing. They remind people that you exist, and they show that you care about their opinion.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not sure... Jan 11, 2016

Best feedback is repeat business, isn't it?

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 01:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always ask for feedback Jan 11, 2016

Hi. I do encourage asking for feedback, it helps you personally to know what your strong points are and what you should work harder on.

If you are sending a questionnaire then I guess it's not something you want to showcase on your ProZ profile or website. I don't think it'd be a good idea to let potential customers know what your weaknesses may be at this point.
If you are also interested in marketing yourself, ProZ's WWA entries are another good way to ask for feedback. It
... See more
Hi. I do encourage asking for feedback, it helps you personally to know what your strong points are and what you should work harder on.

If you are sending a questionnaire then I guess it's not something you want to showcase on your ProZ profile or website. I don't think it'd be a good idea to let potential customers know what your weaknesses may be at this point.
If you are also interested in marketing yourself, ProZ's WWA entries are another good way to ask for feedback. It personally has helped me a great deal.

Hope that helped. Go for it!

[Edited at 2016-01-11 19:03 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 11, 2016

Thank you very much for your replies.
The aim is, as Mariano indicates, that it should help me to know better what my strong points are and primarily what I should work harder on. I would never publish the answers on a website, as my weaknesses are confidential.
My concern is only that I do not want to bother my customers to much, as I think that they are working with plenty of translators and that the may not want waste precious time with my questions...

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:45
German to English
Nice idea, but ... Jan 11, 2016

... don't expect a lot of responses. Most questionnaires of all types generally receive less than 50% responses, and given the general culture in this industry, your response rate will probably be lower, and the answers are not likely to be very helpful i.e., uncritically good.

As Ms. Borges indicated, repeat business is the best indication of customer satisfaction.

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see... Jan 11, 2016

that there are very different opinions about that.
I think it is a pity that the answers would not be helpful (i.e. uncritically good), when I just want a constructive criticism that helps me improve...
But I understand, this makes them spend their precious time. So it might be unrealistic.
I agree, the best feedback is repeat business, but is there a way to recontact former customers which repeated business many times during several years, but suddenly they do not contact yo
... See more
that there are very different opinions about that.
I think it is a pity that the answers would not be helpful (i.e. uncritically good), when I just want a constructive criticism that helps me improve...
But I understand, this makes them spend their precious time. So it might be unrealistic.
I agree, the best feedback is repeat business, but is there a way to recontact former customers which repeated business many times during several years, but suddenly they do not contact you anymore or only very sporadically. Is there a way to find out why?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:45
German to English
Renewing contact Jan 11, 2016

Bárbara H wrote:
but is there a way to recontact former customers which repeated business many times during several years, but suddenly they do not contact you anymore or only very sporadically. Is there a way to find out why?

Probably not. Project managers often have favorite translators, and when they take another job, their replacements may also have translators they prefer to work with. As much as I hate to say it, sometime price pressure favors one translator over another, regardless of quality.

One way to renew contact is to send an updated CV/résumé, reminding the client that you had worked for them in the past. Make sure you use a phrase like "Barbara H updated résumé" in the subject line of your e-mail, to avoid being considered a random applicant.
Good luck!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The three questions.. Jan 12, 2016

How can I even guess if they will be available to answer the three questions, if I don't know what the questions are? : )

"Evaluation" and feedback may be similar, but they are not the same. In any case, the client should provide everything relevant to your overall performance within their feedback, with or without your asking questions.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:45
English to Thai
+ ...
LWA Jan 12, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Best feedback is repeat business, isn't it?

I agree with this idea. But many agencies rarely repeat businesses with new service providers, as I experience.
Pros has LWA. It is similar to the overall feedback of our service, though.

Soonthon L.

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That is good, but there is another better way Jan 12, 2016

Bárbara H wrote:

Hello,

I am thinking about asking my major customers for feedback. The idea is that I would like to find out if they are happy with my work or which aspects of my work should be improved. I developed therefore a short questionnaire (3 questions). But I have still some concerns about this practice. I am not sure whether customers (e.g. translation agencies) are willing to spend some extra time on such an activity even it takes only a few minutes. How is the best way of asking for feedback in your opinion?

Questionnaire is good, but direct conversation, if possible, is better. You can get more extensive and deeper feedback, including impression, critics, suggestion, and recommendation.

[Edited at 2016-01-12 03:55 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent idea Jan 12, 2016

I have done that several times (although with a slightly longer questionnaire) over the last twenty years and customers definitely appreciate that you make an effort to learn what they need. They love the chance to give feedback, even if they are really busy.

If you take their feedback seriously and take action to improve the areas they comment on, you will surely strengthen their perception of your services. However, do not send the questionnaire too frequently or they will grow ti
... See more
I have done that several times (although with a slightly longer questionnaire) over the last twenty years and customers definitely appreciate that you make an effort to learn what they need. They love the chance to give feedback, even if they are really busy.

If you take their feedback seriously and take action to improve the areas they comment on, you will surely strengthen their perception of your services. However, do not send the questionnaire too frequently or they will grow tired of it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for customer feedback

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »