Thread poster: Ourea
Ourea
Ourea
Austria
Local time: 10:28
German to English
Sep 11, 2021

Hi everyone,

I have just started out, so there is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding certain topics. I would be thankful to have your opinion on this matter.

Today I have received my first contract from a company. In the contract it states that during the term of the Agreement and two years following the termination of the contract I am not allowed to solicit, procure, promote, sell directly or indirectly, or entice away (without limitation) with any person, company
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have just started out, so there is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding certain topics. I would be thankful to have your opinion on this matter.

Today I have received my first contract from a company. In the contract it states that during the term of the Agreement and two years following the termination of the contract I am not allowed to solicit, procure, promote, sell directly or indirectly, or entice away (without limitation) with any person, company, client etc with whom I had been in contact during the performances of services.

Is this common standard and acceptable? Maybe its ok if I limit myself to a certain number of companies while I am working with this company? Still it makes me uncomfortable that whenever I am talking to a new client I would always have to ask whether they are in contact with any of the companies I am not allowed to work for.

Thank you for your time,

Ourea
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:28
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes, it is standard practice ... Sep 11, 2021

Ourea wrote:

Hi everyone,

Today I have received my first contract from a company. In the contract it states that during the term of the Agreement and two years following the termination of the contract I am not allowed to solicit, procure, promote, sell directly or indirectly, or entice away (without limitation) with any person, company, client etc with whom I had been in contact during the performances of services.

Is this common standard and acceptable? Maybe its ok if I limit myself to a certain number of companies while I am working with this company? Still it makes me uncomfortable that whenever I am talking to a new client I would always have to ask whether they are in contact with any of the companies I am not allowed to work for.

Thank you for your time,

Ourea

.... but this should not limit you to a few agencies. They just don't want you to "steal" their current clients. In my case, I work with 26 agencies in a certain field, and many of them compete with each-other in the same field. It is none of my business. You are freelance, and nobody can ask you not to work with anybody else.

Good luck,
Lee

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ourea Sep 11, 2021

This clause is not unusual, unfortunately. The time period varies from during the term of the agreement to one, two or even three years after the agreement has ceased. Just to show them that, even though you are a newbie, you will not accept blindly everything they send your way ask them as politely as you can for a complete list of their clients so you know which entities not to contact.

Christine Andersen

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Which variety is it? Sep 11, 2021

Anti-poach = do not attempt to form a direct client relationship with

OR

Full prohibition = do not take any jobs from anyone whatsoever in the slightest related to or contracting for said company?

In certain highly monopolized fields, the second variety could be brutal (IF you actually follow it to the letter). For example, a mere half dozen jobs could force you out of whole industries like oil & gas, medical, or consumer goods.

If it's just an
... See more
Anti-poach = do not attempt to form a direct client relationship with

OR

Full prohibition = do not take any jobs from anyone whatsoever in the slightest related to or contracting for said company?

In certain highly monopolized fields, the second variety could be brutal (IF you actually follow it to the letter). For example, a mere half dozen jobs could force you out of whole industries like oil & gas, medical, or consumer goods.

If it's just anti-poach, doesn't matter at all. Most companies that work with agencies wouldn't suddenly be interested in direct client relationships with a newbie anyway.

[Edited at 2021-09-11 19:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-11 19:31 GMT]
Collapse

Korana Lasić
Liviu-Lee Roth
Christine Andersen
Rachel Waddington

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Anti-solicitation clause Sep 11, 2021

Basically such clauses are designed to prevent you from stealing end customers. As Lee has pointed out, if you work for agencies, there is a likelihood that some jobs you get from the various LSPs originate from the same end customer. You need not care about the identity of the end customer.

I might also mention in this regard that the agency is your customer, not the entity engaging the agency. Thus, if you translate a document created by/for Scuderia Ferrari, the agency, not Ferra
... See more
Basically such clauses are designed to prevent you from stealing end customers. As Lee has pointed out, if you work for agencies, there is a likelihood that some jobs you get from the various LSPs originate from the same end customer. You need not care about the identity of the end customer.

I might also mention in this regard that the agency is your customer, not the entity engaging the agency. Thus, if you translate a document created by/for Scuderia Ferrari, the agency, not Ferrari is your customer. You cannot claim to have Ferrari is your client. Many translators don't realize that.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Christine Andersen
Philip Lees
Rachel Waddington

Ourea
Ourea
Austria
Local time: 10:28
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Sep 12, 2021

I appreciate your comments. Food for thought. Of course, I understand that they do not want me to steal their customers.

However, I am concerned that their gain is my loss. I am particularly apprehensive about this particular sentence: "with any person, company, client, etc with whom the consultant had been in contact DURING the performances of services". Obviously, the longer I work for them the greater the number of potential customers, agencies etc. I will be in touch with, whi
... See more
I appreciate your comments. Food for thought. Of course, I understand that they do not want me to steal their customers.

However, I am concerned that their gain is my loss. I am particularly apprehensive about this particular sentence: "with any person, company, client, etc with whom the consultant had been in contact DURING the performances of services". Obviously, the longer I work for them the greater the number of potential customers, agencies etc. I will be in touch with, which in turn increases the number of agencies/ customers I won't be able to work with for at least two years following the end of our agreement.

@Adieu: Full prohibition for two years for customers I used to work with during the agreement, but not every single customer who is related to the company.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
One year Sep 12, 2021

For starters, you could try to change 2 years to 1 year and see if they will accept that. But I have never heard, or seen any mention in the forums, of someone who ran into this situation. As long as you don't actively try to steal their clients, you shouldn't have any problems.

Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
Philip Lees

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Let's make it clear Sep 12, 2021

Ourea wrote:

However, I am concerned that their gain is my loss. I am particularly apprehensive about this particular sentence: "with any person, company, client, etc with whom the consultant had been in contact DURING the performances of services". Obviously, the longer I work for them the greater the number of potential customers, agencies etc. I will be in touch with, which in turn increases the number of agencies/ customers I won't be able to work with for at least two years following the end of our agreement.

@Adieu: Full prohibition for two years for customers I used to work with during the agreement, but not every single customer who is related to the company.

I signed similar NDAs about ten years ago for three LSPs (Language Service Provider) that have contracts in a specific field with a governmental agency (like FBI, DOJ, etc). Sometimes, I receive 50% of a project from one LSP and the other 50% from another. All three agencies know that I work with their competitors. No problems so far. It is purely a formality to prevent you from "stealing" their client.

Lee

Christopher Schröder

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Standard Sep 13, 2021

During the contract is obvious, and two years afterwards seems to be a fairly standard time.

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Freelancer, question regarding a non-compete clause

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »