Lucy Collins
Lucy Collins  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 07:15
Russisch > Englisch
+ ...
Mar 12, 2012

Hello everyone

I wondered if anyone could give me advice about how to gain experience as a conference interpreter?I'd be happy to do this as a volunteer, of course.

I read somewhere that the European Social Forum used recently-qualified and relatively inexperienced interpreters, though I'm not sure it will be held again in the near future. Ideally, I'd like to find something along these lines.

Is there somewhere to find information about upcoming assignmen
... See more
Hello everyone

I wondered if anyone could give me advice about how to gain experience as a conference interpreter?I'd be happy to do this as a volunteer, of course.

I read somewhere that the European Social Forum used recently-qualified and relatively inexperienced interpreters, though I'm not sure it will be held again in the near future. Ideally, I'd like to find something along these lines.

Is there somewhere to find information about upcoming assignments?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Valery Shapovalenko
Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:15
Englisch > Russisch
+ ...
Try 'roaming' interpreter first. Mar 12, 2012

Dear Lucy,

I personally would suggest you to try the so-called 'roaming' interpreter assignment first. This is the one not taking part in the conference directly, but is handy when people want to talk each to other during the refreshment or coffee break. You hardly could ruin down the communication, except when met the two high-science professionals , so this is the best place to exercise. I did it in the same way. Th
... See more
Dear Lucy,

I personally would suggest you to try the so-called 'roaming' interpreter assignment first. This is the one not taking part in the conference directly, but is handy when people want to talk each to other during the refreshment or coffee break. You hardly could ruin down the communication, except when met the two high-science professionals , so this is the best place to exercise. I did it in the same way. Then found simultaneous interpreting much easier than the consecutive - off the burden to memorize 'all-that-stuff'

[Edited at 2012-03-12 19:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-12 19:34 GMT]

Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
Englisch > Ungarisch
+ ...
Qualifications? Mar 12, 2012

Lucy Collins wrote:

Hello everyone

Is there somewhere to find information about upcoming assignments?

Thanks for your help.

Have you trained as a conference interpreter? If yes, and you did well in your class and have the confidence to go for it, then just go ahead and take on whatever "real" paid job comes your way (preferably something low-level, though).
If you have done no training, it's probably not the best idea to jump in the deep end. At least read up on simul techniques and practice regularly for a couple of months before you try it in a real situation, preferably with an experienced conference interpreter who can give you some guidance. This is of course no substitute for a real course, but it can be a workable alternative.
If you have a go without preparation and fail, the fact that you're an unpaid volunteer is going to soften the embarrassment somewhat, but it will still be a very awkward situation.

[Edited at 2012-03-12 20:00 GMT]

Daniel Dąbrowski
Daniel Dąbrowski  Identity Verified
Polen
Local time: 08:15
Englisch > Polnisch
+ ...
But consecutive interpreting Mar 12, 2012

Torao-O wrote:

Dear Lucy,

I personally would suggest you to try the so-called 'roaming' interpreter assignment first. This is the one not taking part in the conference directly, but is handy when people want to talk each to other during the refreshment or coffee break. You hardly could ruin down the communication, except when met the two high-science professionals , so this is the best place to exercise. I did it in the same way. Then found simultaneous interpreting much easier than the consecutive - off the burden to memorize 'all-that-stuff'

[Edited at 2012-03-12 19:33 GMT]

is not about memorizing "all-that-stuff", but about a skillful note taking so that you can relieve your memory

[Zmieniono 2012-03-12 21:40 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Flämisch > Englisch
+ ...
No training, no CI. Mar 13, 2012

How to gain experience as a conference interpreter.
1. Try to get into a school for interpreters. In the UK, only bath, leeds and herriot-watt are left over.
The best one's are not easy to get in.
2. Be good or the best.
3. Only then gain experience by interpreting at low rates, which go up every month.

How would you deal when a speaker rattles through his/her speech.

No interpreter-training, no conference-interpreting, it is as simple as that. Y
... See more
How to gain experience as a conference interpreter.
1. Try to get into a school for interpreters. In the UK, only bath, leeds and herriot-watt are left over.
The best one's are not easy to get in.
2. Be good or the best.
3. Only then gain experience by interpreting at low rates, which go up every month.

How would you deal when a speaker rattles through his/her speech.

No interpreter-training, no conference-interpreting, it is as simple as that. You risk to go flat on your face when a high-speed speaker rattles on using a lot of idioms and you are in the booth having to deal with the situation.

Consec is skillful notetaking of the essence of each thought, as well as figures, names, titles. But what if you have never learned to develop a consecutive system?

[Edited at 2012-03-13 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Portugiesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Check these options out Mar 13, 2012

1) http://www.bath.ac.uk/cpd/courses/interpreting.html
2) http://www.cciconline.net/enrolment.htm

The problem is that no one will hire you without formal training. Even the links I provided are about courses that are aimed at professionals that want to update/improve t
... See more
1) http://www.bath.ac.uk/cpd/courses/interpreting.html
2) http://www.cciconline.net/enrolment.htm

The problem is that no one will hire you without formal training. Even the links I provided are about courses that are aimed at professionals that want to update/improve their skills.

The only way to go about it is to gain a Masters degree (the very few universities in the UK providing the course have already been mentioned). Entry is difficult. As far as I know they have about 15 contact hours a week and they expect you to also practice for another 15 hours a week. If you take it upon yourself to practice for 30 hours a week for a year then maybe you could apply to one of the courses at the links above where you can practice and get feedback from practicing/graduate professionals.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting experience as a conference interpreter

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »