Téma indítója: Pedro Godfroid
Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Franciaország
Local time: 21:34
francia - angol
+ ...
Getting there Mar 20, 2012

I've just taken a look at your new profile and it's much better. I have a few small suggestions:

- In the keyword list, try and think more like a customer. It is the customer that will be searching and you have to try and imagine what they will search for. If I was a French agency looking for somebody to translate an IT document, I would probably search on "informatique". It's OK to stretch a bit. If you are a competent mechanicmechanic then you have some engineering knowledge. If you were an agency looking for somebody to translate an engineering document, which keyword would you search for?

- Lose outlaw and 1%. Most people won't understand it and most of those that do won't like it. I don't see an extensive career working as a translator for the San Bernadino chapter. Once again, think like a customer.

- "Other known IT areas" should be "Other IT areas known". The first one says that somebody knows them, the second says that you know them.

What you are facing is not easy but it can be done. Ask a 58-year old motorcycle riding ex-IT Director

Terry.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Franciaország
francia - angol
+ ...
Good! Mar 20, 2012

Pedro Godfroid wrote:
I feel like a blind men prodding in the dark with a stick...

If you don't feel like that at least half of the time, you aren't really trying.

The only people that never fail are those that never do anything.

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
angol - francia
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Playing the game. Mar 20, 2012

Terry Richards wrote:

I've just taken a look at your new profile and it's much better. I have a few small suggestions:

- In the keyword list, try and think more like a customer. It is the customer that will be searching and you have to try and imagine what they will search for. If I was a French agency looking for somebody to translate an IT document, I would probably search on "informatique". It's OK to stretch a bit. If you are a competent mechanic then you have some engineering knowledge. If you were an agency looking for somebody to translate an engineering document, which keyword would you search for?

But actually I do not have engineering experience. Apart from software engineering and it's not the same. And my knowledge of mechanics does not come from a formal education. I knew what a crankcase, a crankshaft, a camshaft, a gearbox, a clutch and all that jazz were in English before in French because of the notices and manuals I scanned as a boy. Then it's my more than 45 years of biker (I do not understand how people nowadays can be bikers and not know shit about mechanic).

- Lose outlaw and 1%. Most people won't understand it and most of those that do won't like it. I don't see an extensive career working as a translator for the San Bernadino chapter. Once again, think like a customer.

Actually I was trying to get that kind of customer for good reasons.

Of all the Kudoz I tried, the 2 that were accepted were not in my IT or literature "professional" areas but in mechanics. And most of my other answers and where I feel really better than others is mechanics. So, from what I've seen among the questions, expertise in IT is quite common while expertise with bikes and mechanics is seriously lacking.

Then I thought that, indeed, as you say, most will not understand but, contrarily to what you say, those who do will be the most likely to appreciate and to have work for me. Very few people can presume of my translation abilities and my experience there. I can. And I need to play all the cards I can. Necessity is a bitch

And, if everything else fails, who's gonna help me out but the bros?

- "Other known IT areas" should be "Other IT areas known". The first one says that somebody knows them, the second says that you know them.

What you are facing is not easy but it can be done. Ask a 58-year old motorcycle riding ex-IT Director

Terry.

When I got into this first it was trying to get a quick fix for a pressing and unexpected financial problem. I've learned that it's no use for that because it depends on boot-strapping and requires what I'm dearly lacking: marketing and sales ability, the most important, the ability to sell myself. Now I know it's a kind of lottery so I keep playing, just in case, but I know it does not depends on me but on chance. And I've been very happy in love in my life so my luck in games is extremely low. . But I still play.

And that was my error in IT: never get into management and stay a developer, a problem-solver. I did not know that we get dumped at a certain age due to prejudices. But, Hell, I got into computers because I'm a techie, not a person people. I understand^H^H^Hood machines, algorithms, data structures, not people and I find the idea of moving techie into management positions when we get older preposterous.

So, after I finish the polishing of everything and following the advice that people gave me, the acute phase will end soon and chronic will set on. I do not expect anything but, if it come, I'll be ready.

But I have to find quicker and more reliable solutions because things are not getting better

Tx for the advice and bye.

L&R

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
angol - francia
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
It does not work Apr 11, 2012

I've tried to follow all the advice I received but it does not work. Not a bit. Nothing, nada, zilch.

I'm ready to do *anything* to get a job but nothing works and things get worse and worse every day. It's a game of chance and I have no luck.

So thanks for all the advice and especially thanks to that person who gave me the opportunity to try ProZ but it's no use.

Anyway, I got a job for the next week-end: as a bouncer at a rowdy event. Interesting career c
... See more
I've tried to follow all the advice I received but it does not work. Not a bit. Nothing, nada, zilch.

I'm ready to do *anything* to get a job but nothing works and things get worse and worse every day. It's a game of chance and I have no luck.

So thanks for all the advice and especially thanks to that person who gave me the opportunity to try ProZ but it's no use.

Anyway, I got a job for the next week-end: as a bouncer at a rowdy event. Interesting career change at nearly 60 after a life in computers.

FTW!

Bye and thanks everybody anyway.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

[Edited at 2012-04-11 12:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 13:28 GMT]
Collapse

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
angol - francia
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
And still ready to work... Apr 11, 2012

And remember that I have nothing to loose. So for that job nobody will accept because of legal implications, bad pay (but some pay at least as I will only work for free to prove my worth) or whatever, I'm ready to accept it. Yes, that job you think nobody will accept, I'll do it and for cheaper than you think. Don't drop it. Pass it on to me.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

[Edited at 2012-04-11 13:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 13:11 GMT]

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
angol - francia
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
At last... but... Apr 16, 2012

At last somebody at least wants to test me and possibly give me work. But there's a problem: file format TTX. Of course, being a n00b in a tight financial situation, I cannot buy the extremely pricey Trados software So I'm looking for a free alternative to produce this kind of files. Any suggestion?

Tx and bye.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
MUNKATÁRS
"Meeting clients at ProZ.com" and "Getting started in translation" webinars Apr 16, 2012

Hello Pedro,

I've been following this thread and the good advice provided by colleagues here, and also the steps you have taken, specially to complete your profile, and I see that you have been doing a great job. However, note that translation projects will not be offered to you overnight. Getting started in translation takes time.

I would like to invite you then to attend two free webinars that may be very helpful to you. One is a webinar on "Meeting clients at ProZ.co
... See more
Hello Pedro,

I've been following this thread and the good advice provided by colleagues here, and also the steps you have taken, specially to complete your profile, and I see that you have been doing a great job. However, note that translation projects will not be offered to you overnight. Getting started in translation takes time.

I would like to invite you then to attend two free webinars that may be very helpful to you. One is a webinar on "Meeting clients at ProZ.com", offered on a weekly basis:

http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/additional-resources/#webinars

The other is a webinar on "Getting started in translation":

http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/additional-resources/#other_free_webinars

The next "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" webinar is this next Thursday:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/6433

As for the "Getting started in translation" webinar, the one for April has already taken place. However, there will be another one scheduled for May. In the meantime, you can watch this video presentation:

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/692

These two webinars will help you to learn more about the strategies you should apply to get the most out of ProZ.com and to meet clients.

Hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Pedro Godfroid
Pedro Godfroid
angol - francia
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Tx Apr 16, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Pedro,

I would like to invite you then to attend two free webinars that may be very helpful to you. One is a webinar on "Meeting clients at ProZ.com", offered on a weekly basis:

http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/additional-resources/#webinars

The other is a webinar on "Getting started in translation":

http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/additional-resources/#other_free_webinars

The next "Meeting clients at ProZ.com" webinar is this next Thursday:

http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/6433

As for the "Getting started in translation" webinar, the one for April has already taken place. However, there will be another one scheduled for May. In the meantime, you can watch this video presentation:

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/692

These two webinars will help you to learn more about the strategies you should apply to get the most out of ProZ.com and to meet clients.

Hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Lucía

Thanks for your kind advice and more.

I've already assisted at one of the free webinars and plan to do it to another in a few days. I was even planning to assist to a powow in Málaga but I'm not sure I can make it as I broke my bike and do not think I can fix it for then.

Tx again.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Olaszország
olasz - szerb
+ ...
not sure if this works Apr 16, 2012

but it has been discussed here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/191921-omegat_233_+_ttx_trados_tageditor.html

Pedro Godfroid wrote:

At last somebody at least wants to test me and possibly give me work. But there's a problem: file format TTX. Of course, being a n00b in a tight financial situation, I cannot buy the extremely pricey Trados software So I'm looking for a free alternative to produce this kind of files. Any suggestion?

Tx and bye.

--
Pedro Godfroid Goffin

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm a n00b. How to boot-strap?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »