Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translation Survey: Translators, tell us about your process of doing translations
Thread poster: Riddhima
Jun 17, 2009

Hello Translators,

I am doing user experience design for a start up in New York City and am currently working on designing applications that will have elements of translation and localization. To better feed the design process are conducting extensive user studies to understand how translators translate documents, software, websites etc. Our ongoing efforts include connecting with translators all over the world, and get their insights on translation through a 10 question survey. I
... See more
Hello Translators,

I am doing user experience design for a start up in New York City and am currently working on designing applications that will have elements of translation and localization. To better feed the design process are conducting extensive user studies to understand how translators translate documents, software, websites etc. Our ongoing efforts include connecting with translators all over the world, and get their insights on translation through a 10 question survey. I would appreciate it if you could take out 10 min to fill it.

to fill out the survey please open the following link :
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=LRg7kGMvSHcZngVkmqSSLQ_3d_3d

If the study further interests anyone and you would like to participate, please do drop me a line with your information on [email protected] . We could setup a time to discuss it further.

Thanks in advance.
Riddhima
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:05
Japanese to English
Faulty survey Jun 17, 2009

Hi Riddhima,

I tried to fill out your questionnaire, but it's set up incorrectly.

I tried to answer the second question by typing an appropriate reply, but the form required me to tick an answer, none of which were relevant. So I stopped on the first page.

When making software or some other information product, testing is important. So is testing. Testing is also an important step.

PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:05
French to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 18, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:

Hi Riddhima,

I tried to fill out your questionnaire, but it's set up incorrectly.

I tried to answer the second question by typing an appropriate reply, but the form required me to tick an answer, none of which were relevant. So I stopped on the first page.

When making software or some other information product, testing is important. So is testing. Testing is also an important step.

After answering Other, could not move to next page

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Faulty Jun 18, 2009

Right, I tried it. I could not get past the second question. You need to redesign it and field test it first.

pltsanve
pltsanve
Slovenia
Local time: 15:05
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Works now Jun 18, 2009

It looks that the survey form works now (managed to complete it even after using the "other" field).

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
Nope, still broken Jun 18, 2009

You still have to check a box, even if none apply.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Didn't work for me Jun 18, 2009

I did the first page, but was unable to advance to the second page.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It works! Jun 18, 2009

If it doesn't work, perhaps you should try another browser.
It works with Firefox 3.0.11 (Windows XP)

pltsanve
pltsanve
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Browser Jun 18, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

If it doesn't work, perhaps you should try another browser.
It works with Firefox 3.0.11 (Windows XP)

Good point!
Firefox 3.0.11 on Windows XP worked for me, too.

Omer Dasbilek
Omer Dasbilek  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:05
Member (2013)
English to Turkish
+ ...
works with mozilla! Jun 18, 2009

I have completed that survey too..

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Non-working report Jun 18, 2009

Did not work with Safari 3.2.3 on Mac.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Works in Firefox Jun 18, 2009

Worked fine for me. Firefox 3.0.11 on Windows XP.

Riddhima
Riddhima
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and apologies for the confusion Jun 18, 2009

Hello All,
Firstly thank you very much for taking out time to answer the survey. I apologize for the problems that some of you faced while filling it out. The survey was tested prior to launch and we are currently looking into solutions to some of the problems you are facing.

I appreciate the efforts of the people who retried and filled the survey on a different browser. If anyone is still interested in filling out the the survey, please click on the link below -
... See more
Hello All,
Firstly thank you very much for taking out time to answer the survey. I apologize for the problems that some of you faced while filling it out. The survey was tested prior to launch and we are currently looking into solutions to some of the problems you are facing.

I appreciate the efforts of the people who retried and filled the survey on a different browser. If anyone is still interested in filling out the the survey, please click on the link below -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=LRg7kGMvSHcZngVkmqSSLQ_3d_3d

NOTE: it seems to work well with Mozilla Firefox 3.0 and Safari 3.2. We are still testing other browsers.

Sincere thanks,

Riddhima
Collapse

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
Not a problem with the browser Jun 18, 2009

I'm using the same version of Firefox as the rest of you, and I also tested it in the latest Explorer.

If you don't actually check one of the boxes, and only fill in the text field, you're not allowed to proceed. I'm assuming that those who say it worked checked at least one box in each question.

However, the questions in 2 for example exclude the possibility that you might have taught yourself, so checking one of the boxes would not be appropriate for many people.
... See more
I'm using the same version of Firefox as the rest of you, and I also tested it in the latest Explorer.

If you don't actually check one of the boxes, and only fill in the text field, you're not allowed to proceed. I'm assuming that those who say it worked checked at least one box in each question.

However, the questions in 2 for example exclude the possibility that you might have taught yourself, so checking one of the boxes would not be appropriate for many people.

I believe if you added another check box labelled 'Other' or something, the problem would be resolved.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
French to English
Confirm Jun 18, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
I believe if you added another check box labelled 'Other' or something, the problem would be resolved.

Yup. Looks to me as if "Other" on Q2 should be a checkbox.

I fudged my way past that and looked aghast at Q3, and hit the "quit" button.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Survey: Translators, tell us about your process of doing translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »