ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:36
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2007

I would like to introduce you to a free online file backup service that I have been using called Mozy (www.mozy.com). You get 2 GB of free backup space. There is no setup fee, no credit cards, no payment and no account expiration.

Mozy is a secure and automatic remote backup service for any PC. It is very simple to install and configure. No external hard drive, CD's or DVD's are needed. All you need
... See more
I would like to introduce you to a free online file backup service that I have been using called Mozy (www.mozy.com). You get 2 GB of free backup space. There is no setup fee, no credit cards, no payment and no account expiration.

Mozy is a secure and automatic remote backup service for any PC. It is very simple to install and configure. No external hard drive, CD's or DVD's are needed. All you need is a broadband Internet connection.

You start by creating a Mozy user account which will allow you to download Mozy software and back up your data. Next, you install Mozy on your computer. Mozy will then perform backups automatically in the background at a specific time and at specific intervals (daily or weekly).

Your backup files are encrypted using 448-bit Blowfish encryption, and stored in a secure and remote location that is only accessible to you - from anywhere in the world. You have the option of using a Mozy key, or your own private key to encrypt your data.

You can get an extra 256 MB just by entering my referral code C5KREM during the registration process. This code will get you a total of 2,256 MB (or roughly 2.2 GB) free backup space. The good news is that I also get an extra 256 MB after you perform a backup with Mozy.

Kind Regards,
ATIL KAYHAN
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 11:36
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Norton 360 Jun 25, 2007

Hi Atil,
Thanks very much for the info. I've been looking for something to replace/add to the Norton 360 backup service I currently use. This looks perfect. I've just signed up and I entered your referral code, so hopefully you'll get some extra space for yourself!
All the best,
Owen

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just the service I need Jun 25, 2007

Thanks a million, Atil. I've just lost some data due to a lack of backup (a habit I've been trying to establish but no success so far). This service sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks for letting everyone know about it.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Security? Jun 25, 2007

Can you tell me more about how security works with this application please?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:36
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Security with Mozy Jun 25, 2007

Joanne Parker wrote:

Can you tell me more about how security works with this application please?

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for your question. Security of data is accomplished by:

* 128-bit SSL support (to secure your data during transport)
* 448-bit Blowfish encryption (to secure your data on Mozy server)

Here is the information regarding security at Mozy website (I copy and paste below).

IS MOZY SECURE?

Yes. When you use Mozy, your files are encrypted on your PC using 448-bit Blowfish encryption and then transferred the Mozy servers using 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. You have the option of using a Mozy key, or your own private key to encrypt your data. Note, that if you use your own private key, you must be very careful about not losing it, because if you do, we won't be able to help. It's impossible for us to decrypt your data when you use your own key. Most users opt to use the Mozy key, but it's up to you.

Encryption Preference

You have a choice of using Mozy’s own 448-bit key or managing your own private key to encrypt your data.

Remember, if you chose to use your own private key, you are responsible for remembering that key. If you forget your private key, you will not be able access your backed up files when they are restored.

BERKELEY DATA SYSTEMS PRIVACY POLICY
SECURITY

Berkeley Data Systems uses industry standard security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Although we make good faith efforts to store the information collected by Berkeley Data Systems in a secure operating environment that is not available to the public, Berkeley Data Systems cannot guarantee complete security. Further, while we take reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third-party "crackers" from obtaining this information.

The above is taken directly from Mozy website. (www.mozy.com)

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
ATIL

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:36
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Jul 1, 2007

This service looks great, I am configuring my Mozy right now

Cheers

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Privacy? Jul 21, 2007

I just cannot help but wonder what is in it for Mozy to offer us hospitality for free. Can you vouch for them?

Will they use the information we are providing them for free for purposes of phishing? I am sorry for being so suspicious, but I was hit by a bomb, someone used a fictitious name of my website and sent bunch of mails to people all over the world I had never heard of.

Marijke Mayer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back Up Your Files Online with Free Mozy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »