Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Would you bother answering if the points system were abolished?
Thread poster: Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Questions for answers... Jun 25, 2009

has been discussed before.
Somwhere in the past discussions about KudoZ, even before any KudoZ limits has been instituted, there has been a proposal to allow to have only a certain rate of asked to answered questions to be able to ask again. But it was dropped for many reasons.
Really, this will not work - or do you really want people to answer questions simply for the sake of aswering.
The system in its current is quite good imho. The main fław in this systems are askers and
... See more
has been discussed before.
Somwhere in the past discussions about KudoZ, even before any KudoZ limits has been instituted, there has been a proposal to allow to have only a certain rate of asked to answered questions to be able to ask again. But it was dropped for many reasons.
Really, this will not work - or do you really want people to answer questions simply for the sake of aswering.
The system in its current is quite good imho. The main fław in this systems are askers and answerers. Would everyone act accoding to the core value of the system, no one would complain. But as we are all only human and thus mistakeable, the system is as it is. There are language pairs, where it works nearly perfectly (German-Polish and vice versa for example) and language pairs, where there seems to be a war state at KudoZ. Humans, all humans, nothing else. Exactly as the differencies between all countries around the world. What goes in Germany may bring you in prison in the US or elswhere.
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jun 25, 2009

I'd be perfectly willing to answer if points were abolished. More willing than I am as the current system stands.

Andrea

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Paying with your KudoZ points Jun 25, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Let's keep money out of Kudoz; let's do it just for fun and a little bit of recognition via the points!

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but how about paying for directory ranking with KudoZ points? For every search in which you come up in the top 10, ten KudoZ points get deducted from your wallet, or something like that. Then you can use your KudoZ points to earn something, and if you stop doing KudoZ, you eventually stop earning. Which thread should this post go into? There are so many...

btlidia
btlidia
Spanish to Hungarian
+ ...
kudoz Jun 25, 2009

Hi!
I suppose people are honest, and they agree with a good response, even if they want too to receive some points.
Without points, I supose some would still keep responding, just helping the other in need, but we are human, we need recognition. I like to receive some points, even if I have very little time for reading questions and answering.
Lidia

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:13
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If there are no points, is altruism really the only motivator? Jun 25, 2009

You're still being seen by others in the industry, you're learning through research and from reading the fruits of others' research. Isn't it a case of continuing professional development rather than altruism? My motives for participating in Kudoz are to increase my knowledge and to contribute to the profession, which will, ultimately, be to my benefit. I'd prefer a no points system, but not because I'm altruistic!

[Edited at 2009-06-25 21:38 GMT]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
System is good Jun 25, 2009

I agree with Jerzy.

The system is good and IMHO, people should get rewarded for their willingness to help and share their knowledge with others.

Funny, this other topic http://www.proz.com/post/1157368#1157368 is going on at the same time today...

Monika

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The system in its current is quite good imho. The main fław in this systems are askers and answerers. Would everyone act accoding to the core value of the system, no one would complain. But as we are all only human and thus mistakeable, the system is as it is....

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
no point(s) Jun 25, 2009

I answer questions (I never ask them) simply because they represent an intellectual challenge. I am totally disinterested, which automatically puts me out of phase with the very "principles" underlying this site. I would be happy to answer for zero points. That is not what I am about. Anyway, until the day when I can spend the said points in my corner shop, collecting for collecting's sake - what for ?

I suspect the "old" members with lots of points are bound to disagree on this sub
... See more
I answer questions (I never ask them) simply because they represent an intellectual challenge. I am totally disinterested, which automatically puts me out of phase with the very "principles" underlying this site. I would be happy to answer for zero points. That is not what I am about. Anyway, until the day when I can spend the said points in my corner shop, collecting for collecting's sake - what for ?

I suspect the "old" members with lots of points are bound to disagree on this subject with more recent members, who have few or none. And that is why nothing will ever change. Too many vested interests .....
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No points from a KudoZers point of view Jun 25, 2009

I might very well be considered one of those dinosaurs with many points, earned over many years.
So you can always say, "yes you see it so and your opinion is so, because you have already so many points".
But believe me, KudoZ do not matter that much at all. As I started long time ago it was indeed a challenge to get more of them as others have, to be the KudoZ leader in my language pair. But I'm KudoZ leader anymore. So points do not matter for me just for the sake of the point.
... See more
I might very well be considered one of those dinosaurs with many points, earned over many years.
So you can always say, "yes you see it so and your opinion is so, because you have already so many points".
But believe me, KudoZ do not matter that much at all. As I started long time ago it was indeed a challenge to get more of them as others have, to be the KudoZ leader in my language pair. But I'm KudoZ leader anymore. So points do not matter for me just for the sake of the point.
What matters, is the position on this site.
Henry, the creator of this site, has said once (quite long time ago in fact): "Show up on the site to be noticed. The site is being noticed, so you will be too". And this is fact. When you read this thread, all who are in favour for points use the site for marketing purposes. So do I. But not only via KudoZ - participating in discussions, threads, helping others with their problems and participating in conferences, this is what matters.
Would I only think about being thanked and rewarded, I would never help so many with their Trados problems. But I do.
And I do answer KudoZ. But here I indeed expect to be thanked and rewarded. This is the only way in this system to keep askers humble. Sorry for sounding rude or harsh, but really - this is the biggest (in my eyes) and most important problem with this system. You say, there are other lists, where questions are asked and aswered without points. Agree. And I also agree, that that works fine. But please, how many are you on such list? How many questions are asked? People asking on such lists do ask for help after they have done their own research. They ask, because they are not able to find the solution fast enough, but they don't ask because they took a job far beyond what they can provide. And what abou KudoZ? People tend to ask dictionary questions, or expect answerers to do their job for free, don't do any research and don't provide any context. And when you ask for clarification, you sometimes are even shown the door (to put that very polite), how dare you to ask for more information. And how do you dare request any context? Be happy, that I provided you with a question, which when you answer I may reward with some KudoZ points. When a moderator asks then for closing very old questions, he or she will also be shown the door or - in the best case - earn no reaction at all.
Please don't understand, that I say all askers are so - certainly not. The vast majority of askers does not behave so. But unfortunately there are enough black sheeps. And I've met/seen some of them.
Keeping points is some kind of pressure. This is way I am for them.

But coming back to your original question: as I've already said, I would answer questions by certain asker.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you bother answering if the points system were abolished?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »