Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Is making random answers in many pairs acceptable, or KudoZ spam?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:23
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 19, 2011

I'm not sure how much can I indicate the username/ID, but there is one Turkish-English translator here who kind of makes random answers to random KudoZ questions in different language pairs.

Looking on his answers from today only, he was able to provide answers in such distinct pairs (in addition to eng-tur) as por-eng, ara-eng, dut-fra, deu-rus, eng-ron, deu-esl, eng-ita, fra-eng, eng-ces.

I don't know how about other languages, but in the En-Cz pair his answer is comp
... See more
I'm not sure how much can I indicate the username/ID, but there is one Turkish-English translator here who kind of makes random answers to random KudoZ questions in different language pairs.

Looking on his answers from today only, he was able to provide answers in such distinct pairs (in addition to eng-tur) as por-eng, ara-eng, dut-fra, deu-rus, eng-ron, deu-esl, eng-ita, fra-eng, eng-ces.

I don't know how about other languages, but in the En-Cz pair his answer is completely off-track (I suspect some involvement of MT). As such, it is rather a spam than anything useful - it doesn't look much like "giving help". Is this "batch cross-language KudoZ action" normal?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same "phenomenon" happens... Apr 19, 2011

... with a Greek translator!

IPtranslate (X)
IPtranslate (X)
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
Noticed that... Apr 19, 2011

and agree with the statement that the replies are usually completely off-track!

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:22 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not acceptable but allowed and accepted Apr 19, 2011

Tomas Mosler wrote:

I don't know how about other languages, but in the En-Cz pair his answer is completely off-track (I suspect some involvement of MT). As such, it is rather a spam than anything useful - it doesn't look much like "giving help". Is this "batch cross-language KudoZ action" normal?

Fwiw, the 'answers' into English are also generally (way) off-track. Sadly, he is not the only person doing this. The fact people are allowed to produce total nonsense, in large or small doses, helps explain why Kudoz has become more a source of amusement than a source of help.
But beware-say nothing about their participation in a peer comment or elsewhere on the page. Rule 3.7 is there to protect them.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
We all know who he is Apr 19, 2011

and not even the disagrees he gets seem to stop him..

IPtranslate (X)
IPtranslate (X)
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
or Apr 19, 2011

writeaway wrote:

But beware-say nothing about their participation in a peer comment or elsewhere on the page. Rule 3.7 is there to protect them.

or Rule x.y or Rule s.t, or Rule v.w....Amusement, indeed...

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:23
English
+ ...
Talk about disagrees Apr 19, 2011

Diana Coada wrote:

and not even the disagrees he gets seem to stop him..

Some might start disagreeing with your answers once you started giving him disagrees…

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
yes, but... Apr 19, 2011

Rule 3.7 is there to protect them.

Yeah, but what about the rule 1.1 to protect US?

"Help" and glossary-building KudoZ are provided only for terms help and glossary building respectively. Use of the platform for advertising, discussions, or purposes other than getting or giving help with terms is prohibited.

His answers are apparently exactly as much help as getting spam, I say. Could any moderator / admin express the ProZ standing on this kind of behaviour?

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Website Apr 19, 2011

His website is an interesting read too, with poor English abounding and at least one somewhat comical typo!

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:49 GMT]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Indeed, this is not acceptable Apr 19, 2011

... but what to do, if the staff itself cannot control this "poly-misanswerer"?

Valeria Sciarrillo
Valeria Sciarrillo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Greek translator Apr 19, 2011

@Teresa: this Greek translator just answered completely wrong a question I was trying to answer, and when I disagreed, explaining the reason, they even hid their answer and gave another one, which is possibly right, even (it just got an "agree"!) :'( I don't like it when they "guess right", because points might give them more credibility than they actually deserve (seen their completely random and hasty answers). It's OK when a competent translator does this, but I hate having helped people who ... See more
@Teresa: this Greek translator just answered completely wrong a question I was trying to answer, and when I disagreed, explaining the reason, they even hid their answer and gave another one, which is possibly right, even (it just got an "agree"!) :'( I don't like it when they "guess right", because points might give them more credibility than they actually deserve (seen their completely random and hasty answers). It's OK when a competent translator does this, but I hate having helped people who just guess all the time.Collapse

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
well Apr 19, 2011

I believe they can. They can warn him (based on rule 1.1) and if that does not help, block access to KudoZ (in general or except for his pairs).

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
But how does rule 1.1 apply to constantly guessing with 100% incorrect answers? Apr 19, 2011

Tomas Mosler wrote:

I believe they can. They can warn him (based on rule 1.1) and if that does not help, block access to KudoZ (in general or except for his pairs).

1.1 "Help" and glossary-building KudoZ are provided only for terms help and glossary building respectively. Use of the platform for advertising, discussions, or purposes other than getting or giving help with terms is prohibited.

However this will stop you from even saying boo:

3.7 Commentary on askers or answerers , and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are strictly prohibited (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user).

[Edited at 2011-04-19 10:03 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:23
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nothing could be done Apr 19, 2011

As long as this person is not breaking the rules, there is nothing that could be done. And I recently found out that even if someone breaks a rule(s), say, making an offensive, personal/non-linguistic comments or comments to influence the asker's decision to choose which answer (which are by the way all strictly forbidden according to the KudoZ rules), site staff will not intervene. And it's not a spam, since I know that this person does not have any bad intentions, but only pure intention to he... See more
As long as this person is not breaking the rules, there is nothing that could be done. And I recently found out that even if someone breaks a rule(s), say, making an offensive, personal/non-linguistic comments or comments to influence the asker's decision to choose which answer (which are by the way all strictly forbidden according to the KudoZ rules), site staff will not intervene. And it's not a spam, since I know that this person does not have any bad intentions, but only pure intention to help the asker.

[Edited at 2011-04-19 10:09 GMT]
Collapse

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
see Apr 19, 2011

Writeaway, see above:
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/197057-is_this_acceptable_or_kudoz_spam.html#1726358

- spam or misleading answers is not in match with the purpose of giving help, or? That's about the same "help" as giving salt to the thirsty.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is making random answers in many pairs acceptable, or KudoZ spam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »