Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
why do people thank me when I agree with their answer?
Thread poster: Lidia Maurutto (X)
Lidia Maurutto (X)
Lidia Maurutto (X)
Italy
Local time: 19:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

Kudoz seems to have a specific code of conduct, like the thanking thing. I don't really see the point, tho. Do I thank someone if s/he says agrees with me in everyday life? Maybe in a debate or a verbal fight, but I personally refuse to see kudoz as the fight platform sometimes it seems to be. I like the idea to share my opinion and help other translators, no winners and no losers.

So, sorry guys. I am not thanking you if you agree with my answers.

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
The point of thanking Aug 18, 2011

If your answer is chosen you'll recieve KudoZ points.
When colleagues agree, chances of you earning KudoZ points increase.
Besides, it's always nice to be polite

Happy translating!
Vera

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:37
Greek to English
In memoriam
Politeness Aug 18, 2011

As Vera said, it doesn't hurt to be polite.

Anyway, I don't think it's necessarily "thanks for agreeing with me in the argument", more "thanks for taking time to think about my answer".

Whatever the thanks are for, if it is a "Kudos code of conduct" then it makes sense to abide by the code, in the same way that I follow the Greek 'politeness code' when I'm speaking Greek, and the English code when I'm speaking English.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Something we learned in Kindergarden? Politeness? Aug 18, 2011

Lidia Maurutto wrote:
Kudoz seems to have a specific code of conduct, like the thanking thing. I don't really see the point, tho. Do I thank someone if s/he says agrees with me in everyday life? Maybe in a debate or a verbal fight, but I personally refuse to see kudoz as the fight platform sometimes it seems to be. I like the idea to share my opinion and help other translators, no winners and no losers.

Someone within the community complimented you on your suggestion by sending an Agree. What's wrong with that? I have no idea how this is related to any "debate" or "verbal fight" or any "fight platform". This is the KudoZ forum, not The Gladiators.

So, sorry guys. I am not thanking you if you agree with my answers.

It's optional anyway. Nobody said that you have to. Simply read FIRST what the screen says.

Grazie tante!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Politeness goes only one way? Aug 18, 2011

Dave Bindon wrote:

Anyway, I don't think it's necessarily "thanks for agreeing with me in the argument", more "thanks for taking time to think about my answer".

No, it is not. They don't thank when someone disagrees with them, do they? Even though the effort put into disagreeing is usually greater (as you need to substantiate your opinion).

[Edited at 2011-08-18 14:26 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Addendum: Politeness Aug 18, 2011

Lidia Maurutto wrote:
sorry guys

I am not a guy. Last time I looked I was female.

Lidia Maurutto (X)
Lidia Maurutto (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Politeness Aug 18, 2011

I never thought it might be considered rude not to thank someone agreeing with my answers, and if this is the case, I will change my attitude then. However, I often noticed some kudoz participants get very competitive, and the agree option seems to be used to take one side or another more for the sake of winning kudoz points (or to help that translator to get them) than explaining why one option is better than another. But of course this is just my impression, and I might be wrong, since I've j... See more
I never thought it might be considered rude not to thank someone agreeing with my answers, and if this is the case, I will change my attitude then. However, I often noticed some kudoz participants get very competitive, and the agree option seems to be used to take one side or another more for the sake of winning kudoz points (or to help that translator to get them) than explaining why one option is better than another. But of course this is just my impression, and I might be wrong, since I've just joined.

Thank u for sharing your opinion.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
not necessary, but nice Aug 18, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Dave Bindon wrote:

No, it is not. They don't thank when someone disagrees with them, do they?

[Edited at 2011-08-18 14:26 GMT]

I do.

Lidia Maurutto wrote:

I never thought it might be considered rude not to thank someone agreeing with my answers.

I think it isn't considered rude not to say thank you. It's just considered polite to do so.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 18, 2011

I agree with efreitag: I do thank people for their comments, even if they don't agree with me. They have given their time to think about the matter and who knows, maybe they are right.

Saying 'thank you' is a polite thing to do, just like the many other things that people do that we thank them for.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks after points are awarded or the question is closed Aug 18, 2011

I think the thank you thing is a bit silly, but it is pretty accepted practice on ProZ. I decided long ago to thank people only after the answer is awarded points, so they can see the result; otherwise, unless they actively follow up, they may never know.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I'd sooner expect an asker to say "thanks" than the answerers. Aug 18, 2011

Generally speaking (there can be exceptions):
When I give an agree to an answer, I do so to indicate to the asker that I think the answer is correct (or at least better than the others).
It's not meant as a compliment to the answerer I've chosen, so to receive "thanks" in return seems inappropriate, unless maybe my agree is accompanied by proper input to reinforce the answer and help solve the problem.

I'm expressing my agreement with the answer, not with the person wh
... See more
Generally speaking (there can be exceptions):
When I give an agree to an answer, I do so to indicate to the asker that I think the answer is correct (or at least better than the others).
It's not meant as a compliment to the answerer I've chosen, so to receive "thanks" in return seems inappropriate, unless maybe my agree is accompanied by proper input to reinforce the answer and help solve the problem.

I'm expressing my agreement with the answer, not with the person who proposed it. I see a difference.

Personally, I'd sooner thank a disagreer (with a valid argument) to one of my answers than an agreer with no further imput.

How I do be seeing it.
Others obviously see it differently.

Cilian
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
thanks Aug 18, 2011

I thank people for taking the time to look at my answer and provide feedback. And yes, I also thank people who disagree or leave neutral comments.

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
thank you Aug 19, 2011

Few things in life are sweeter than getting a thank you from someone you didn't think owed you one.

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
guys Aug 19, 2011

>I am not a guy. Last time I looked I was female.<

Guys is unisex. Maybe we should change it to girls. Less sexist :->

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:37
Member (2009)
French to English
Do unto others... Aug 19, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised the first time someone replied with a "thanks" for agreeing with his/her answer. It was a nice feeling, so I pass it on and send a little thanks when someone agrees with my answer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why do people thank me when I agree with their answer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »