Thread poster: Katerina O.
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Dec 23, 2011

Katerina O. wrote:

I've noticed that sometimes when there are many answers to one questions, the "see below" answer gets more agrees.

"See below" is often the mark of an answer which has been carefully thought through: the answerer has realised that a simple two-word answer won't suffice. If you feel they get more agrees, it's probably because they're better answers.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:45
Catalan to English
+ ...
"See below" Dec 23, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

Katerina O. wrote:

I've noticed that sometimes when there are many answers to one questions, the "see below" answer gets more agrees.

"See below" is often the mark of an answer which has been carefully thought through: the answerer has realised that a simple two-word answer won't suffice. If you feel they get more agrees, it's probably because they're better answers.

Pls. read Phil's post again.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The site rules refer to the glossary, not the answers. Dec 24, 2011

If we would always look for a single term or phrase that fits nicely into this line and never exceeds 100 characters or so, we should rethink our profession. What annoys me more are answers that offer 5 different alternatives picked from some dictionary ("Take your pick! One of them must be ok) and THEN make their way into the glossary, but I digress...

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:45
German to English
Redefine/expand source term Dec 24, 2011

The system already makes adequate provision for offering solutions without resorting to ‘see below’. If you feel that an asker has identified an incomplete term (e.g. stem minus prefix of a German separable verb) or has failed to take other factors into account, then you have the option of redefining/expanding the source term, i.e. you can copy and paste the whole string into the source box (overwriting the original) and enter your equivalent string in the target box.

I believe
... See more
The system already makes adequate provision for offering solutions without resorting to ‘see below’. If you feel that an asker has identified an incomplete term (e.g. stem minus prefix of a German separable verb) or has failed to take other factors into account, then you have the option of redefining/expanding the source term, i.e. you can copy and paste the whole string into the source box (overwriting the original) and enter your equivalent string in the target box.

I believe the system already automatically rejects ‘see below’ as an answer. That would account for the popularity of ‘siehe unten’ and ‘s.u.’ in the German to English pair.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sometimes I have used "see below" Dec 24, 2011

If I have only an explanation, for instance. It happened that I needed to explain the whole thing but didn't have a translation for it, so what could I write into the title? Only see below, of course.

In my opinion the glossary reason doesn't apply as the entry isn't automatic at all: you can choose whether make an entry and format it, if need be. Of course, there are always people that don't pay attention and entry a "see below" or the like, but then the answerer - if it has been e
... See more
If I have only an explanation, for instance. It happened that I needed to explain the whole thing but didn't have a translation for it, so what could I write into the title? Only see below, of course.

In my opinion the glossary reason doesn't apply as the entry isn't automatic at all: you can choose whether make an entry and format it, if need be. Of course, there are always people that don't pay attention and entry a "see below" or the like, but then the answerer - if it has been entered by the asker, or viceversa the asker - can still change it if eventually a good answer has been found.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:45
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is that true? Dec 24, 2011

Katerina O. wrote:

And I've noticed that sometimes when there are many answers to one questions, the "see below" answer gets more agrees.

It kind of forces you to read the explanation and thus pay more attention to that particular answer, while you may skip explanations to the rest. It's actually MORE EFFECTIVE than just typing the answer in ALL CAPS.

There will be no ground for that statement at all in my language pair.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Reference, not answer Dec 25, 2011

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Sometimes I have used "see below"

In such cases it is more appropriate to post it as Reference, not as an answer.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
You can always post a discussion entry or not? Dec 25, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Sometimes I have used "see below"

In such cases it is more appropriate to post it as Reference, not as an answer.

Yes and you can always post a discussion entry or not?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It depends, I think Dec 25, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Yes and you can always post a discussion entry or not?

It depends. The discussion feature is primarily to ask clarifications from the asker. What Christel described was more like explaining the term, giving its meaning, definition, and that sounds more like a reference entry, not something for the discussion field.
If she posts such explanations as a Reference entry, others can use the peer comment field to easily agree/disagree. Both this clear view and the fact that the Reference entries get listed below the answers (not buried in a chain of conversations in the Discussion area) may be very helpful for the asker.

Katerina O.
Katerina O.  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
contrary to Kudoz rule 1.4 Dec 25, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
The site rules refer to the glossary, not the answers.

I'm not sure about that.

See: KudoZ - 1. General rules 1.4 ...expressions such as "see below", "in this context", etc., must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations...

We don't propose translations for a glossary, we propose translations when answering questions. So, "see below" and the like in the Target term box are obvious breach of this very rule.

It was also pointed by Russell Jones in his post.

[Edited at 2011-12-25 15:36 GMT]

Katerina O.
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Andrei, Ty et al Dec 25, 2011

I can't argue that one-two word translations may be inappropriate for certain questions. You are totally right on that. But there is always a way to summarise an answer with something closer to the meaning of a source term than just "see below". And then expand the summary in the explanation box. Besides, as it was mentioned already there are other means, like Discussion and Reference comments.

Katerina O.
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I'm trying to tell! Dec 25, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:

If anything, I always view a "see below" type answer with a more critical eye ...

[Edited at 2011-12-23 15:00 GMT]

philgoddard wrote:

"See below" is often the mark of an answer which has been carefully thought through...

Such answers do stand out from the rest!!!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:45
Hebrew to English
I'm afraid I don't agree Dec 25, 2011

Katerina O. wrote:
But there is always a way to summarise an answer with something closer to the meaning of a source term than just "see below".

But that's the point - there isn't always a way to summarise into a bite-size nugget.

I also don't think that mine or phil's statements which you quoted are saying that a "see below" answer is more prominent, I believe we are saying that:
a) a "see below" answer often needs to work harder to sway us
b) a "see below" answer is usually very comprehensive.

Personally speaking, I always find those bite-sized nuggets more eye-catching. On the very rare occasions when I have had to resort to a "see below" (maybe twice) I've always wished I had a more concise suggestion.

This (quite unpopular) rule, it seems to me - only serves this site and its glossary system rather than the individual translator/asker, which is why it seems to be so often flouted (in addition to the mere fact that it is quite simply impossible to never say never when it comes to entering "see below" in the box.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What is your problem? Dec 25, 2011

Katerina O. wrote:
Well, I don't think such answers should be allowed at all. But maybe I'm missing something and they are all good?

Sorry, this might be totally political incorrect. But what is your problem?
Do you feel discriminated?
Do you feel that your answers are not selected because of this?
Do you suffer any loss because of this?
Does your life get more difficult?
Can't you translate more words because of it?
Is it a danger to freedom?
Do you always keep all rules in life and therefore want to enforce these rules?

I can go for a while, I don't get it. Could you please explain in simple words what your problem is, so that I might be able to understand it?

Thank you

[Edited at 2011-12-25 21:37 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm sort of on the same page with this posting Dec 26, 2011

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Katerina O. wrote:
Well, I don't think such answers should be allowed at all. But maybe I'm missing something and they are all good?

Sorry, this might be totally political incorrect. But what is your problem?
Do you feel discriminated?
Do you feel that your answers are not selected because of this?
Do you suffer any loss because of this?
Does your life get more difficult?
Can't you translate more words because of it?
Is it a danger to freedom?
Do you always keep all rules in life and therefore want to enforce these rules?

I can go for a while, I don't get it. Could you please explain in simple words what your problem is, so that I might be able to understand it?

Thank you

[Edited at 2011-12-25 21:37 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"see below" answer. Is it a fair play?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »