Stron w wątku:   [1 2 3] >
KudoZ updated in various ways
Autor wątku: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:34
ZAŁOŻYCIEL PORTALU
Apr 21, 2005

We recently announced that we would be shifting focus throughout the site to PRO points and detailed categories. Pursuant to that, and in order to keep the KudoZ network running smoothly as we set out on our next million questions, we have released a set of new KudoZ functionality. Included are the following:

• Category titles changed to PRO / non-PRO

Instead of levels "easy" and "pro", KudoZ questions will now be divided into "PRO" and "non-PRO" categories. PR... See more
  • We recently announced that we would be shifting focus throughout the site to PRO points and detailed categories. Pursuant to that, and in order to keep the KudoZ network running smoothly as we set out on our next million questions, we have released a set of new KudoZ functionality. Included are the following:

• Category titles changed to PRO / non-PRO

Instead of levels "easy" and "pro", KudoZ questions will now be divided into "PRO" and "non-PRO" categories. PRO questions are those that come from professional translators OR are suitable for professional translators. Non-PRO questions are those asked by AND that are suitable for people who are not professional translators (but who may be language learners or bilingual people).

Note: A question that is asked by someone who is not a professional translator, but that is judged suitable for professional translators, can be made PRO by moderators. Old questions can also be edited by moderators. For the time being, non-moderator members are not able to make changes to PRO/non-PRO status.

• Batch editing

It will now be possible to edit past questions not only on the pages that show them, but also in batches from the main KudoZ (list) page. With batch editing, it is possible to edit the detailed category of a question, the PRO/non-PRO status, and any glossary entries. Regular members will be able to edit questions in which they have earned points, and moderators will be able to edit all questions. URL: http://www.proz.com/kudoz (To put the page in editing mode, go to the advanced search mode and select "My Points" under the Personal menu and "Editable" under the "Display" menu.)

• Edit logging and editing rights control

All KudoZ editing actions will now be recorded, and edit logs will be made visible in KudoZ pages to anyone with the right to edit (ie. members with more than 50 KudoZ points).

If you have at least 50 KudoZ points, see this an example of a question that has been edited: http://proz.com/kudoz/1005577 Notice the edit log at the bottom. (It will appear only if you have at least 50 KudoZ points.)

Moderators have been given access to a full list of recent editing actions. They have been given authority to intervene if necessary to instruct members on editing, or prevent abuse.

• KudoZ Open Glossaries (KOG) now organized by detailed fields

The browsable list of KudoZ glossary entries known as the KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary) is now organized by detailed field. You can pull up a glossary of English to Spanish Accounting terms, for example. To appear in this glossary, term questions must be categorized by detailed field, they must be marked PRO, and a glossary entry should have been made. It is requested that you use the batch editing form above to make sure that the past KudoZ translations you have provided turn into KOG entries for the benefit of all. See: http://proz.com/?sp=kog

• New leaderboard

A new leaderboard has been created that is searchable by detailed fields, ordered by PRO points, and optimized for speed. To give newer KudoZ answerers a chance for exposure, leaderboards appear in three columns: last 3 months, last year, overall. For greater exposure, names of platinum members are clickable within their working language pairs. To see it, click "KudoZ" in the main menu, and then "New! Leaders". http://proz.com/?sp=leaders_new

• Modified KudoZ point display in profiles

Until now, all KudoZ point totals have been shown on the first tab in member profiles. Now, a summary of top point totals will be shown on the first page, with a link to a new tab with the full list of point totals (by language pair, field and detailed field). Point totals will be ordered according to PRO-level points. This change makes the profiles easier to read and faster to load, and further highlights member strengths. Members can customize summary displays by choosing which categories *not* to show (leaving the rest to be listed in order.)

• New mini popups with KudoZ summaries

"Mini" popup profile summaries have been created to rapidly display summaries of KudoZ point earned. These popups are linked to from the new leaderboard. They load quickly and feature links to full profiles. Given the ease with which one may now look through member point summary popups, it is believed that increased exposure will result for KudoZ answerers (especially platinum members, who are favored with links from the new leaderboard.)

To see a mini profile, click any name on the new leaderboard. URL: http://proz.com/?sp=leaders_new To customize your own mini profile by removing categories you do not want shown, go to the (updated) KudoZ tab in your profile.

• Custom rifling

The "next" and "prev" arrows shown when viewing KudoZ questions have been made smarter. Now, the next and previous term selected are those that meet the search criteria you last used on the KudoZ list page. This means that you can search for the types of questions you want and then view them one after the other using the arrows on the KudoZ list page. The next and previous terms are also shown on the page you are viewing. To try it out, start with a search on the main KudoZ list page: http://proz.com/kudoz

• Speed improvements

The KudoZ list page and question viewing pages have been made faster. Point totals also load more quickly.

• Platinum benefits

Platinum members will benefit from changes made in this release in several ways. For one, platinum members will now enjoy increased exposure: the new leaderboard will link to platinum member summary popups, making it faster and easier for colleagues to learn the areas in which platinum members work. For more on this topic, see: http://proz.com/topic/31499

Non-platinum KudoZ answerers who go platinum at this time will benefit from the increased exposure right away. In order to encourage you to join your fellow platinum KudoZ answerers (now the majority of point leaders!), we will offer a one-time reduced price on platinum membership for KudoZ answerers. The details will be announced on the site and in the next newsletter.

• Rules updated

A number of additions and minor changes have been made to the KudoZ rules. Please review the revised rules now: http://proz.com/kudozrules If you see a violation of the rules, or if you need clarification of the rules, please contact a moderator using the links provided from the KudoZ pages. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Natalia Elo
    Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
    Niemcy
    Local time: 01:34
    angielski > rosyjski
    + ...
    Can't get to 'Answer questions' page Apr 21, 2005

Hi,

Why when I click on Answer questions I get to the page where all my old answers are displayed? Did I change settings?

Natalia

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    Local time: 19:34
    PERSONEL PORTALU
    KudoZ list (answer questions) page remembers your last search settings Apr 21, 2005

Natalia Elo wrote:
    Why when I click on Answer questions I get to the page where all my old answers are displayed? Did I change settings?

Hi Natalia,

The KudoZ list page (KudoZ->Answer Questions on the main menu) remembers your most recent search settings each time you visit the page. If you are seeing only questions you have answered, try changing the "Personal" search option to "All questions". If you are seeing an editable view, try changing the "Display" search option to "concise".

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Miomira Brankovic
    Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
    Serbia
    Local time: 01:35
    angielski > serbski
    + ...
    Hiding previous/next term if offensive Apr 21, 2005

Since the new feature in KudoZ allows us to see the previous and next term when we go to a particular term question (left and right arrows near top), would it be possible to hide the terms that the asker has marked as potentially offensive? I just went to an innocent question in one of my language pairs and to my amazement saw a very rude sentence (in bold, red letters) just above the frame - it happened to be the next question, indeed marked as offensive and invisible in KudoZ list, but visible... See more
    Since the new feature in KudoZ allows us to see the previous and next term when we go to a particular term question (left and right arrows near top), would it be possible to hide the terms that the asker has marked as potentially offensive? I just went to an innocent question in one of my language pairs and to my amazement saw a very rude sentence (in bold, red letters) just above the frame - it happened to be the next question, indeed marked as offensive and invisible in KudoZ list, but visible in this feature. Can we be spared of this?Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
    Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
    Kanada
    Local time: 19:35
    Członek ProZ.com
    od 2004

angielski > perski (farsi)
    + ...
    Squash Apr 22, 2005

I see that the Squash button doesn't exist anymore.

CMJ_Trans (X)
    CMJ_Trans (X)
    francuski > angielski
    + ...
    Goodbye site! Apr 22, 2005

This morning on opening up, I find that I can only see "my" old questions. I have tried following Jason's advice but the settings were already all as he described them. Since I work off line and in the morning scroll through old questions and then revist when I need inspiration, it seems that I am now effectively cut off from the site (except the odd few latest questions on the home page). If that was the objective, congratulations: you have succeeded.
    I said I was trying to wean myself o
    ... See more
    This morning on opening up, I find that I can only see "my" old questions. I have tried following Jason's advice but the settings were already all as he described them. Since I work off line and in the morning scroll through old questions and then revist when I need inspiration, it seems that I am now effectively cut off from the site (except the odd few latest questions on the home page). If that was the objective, congratulations: you have succeeded.
    I said I was trying to wean myself off but I hadn't realised I was going to get cold turkey!
    Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
    Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
    Niemcy
    angielski > rosyjski
    + ...
    Not one but many steps in the right direction! Apr 22, 2005

Dear Henry and the Proz team,

Thank you for your continuing attention and improvement efforts directed at the Kudoz section of Proz. Like many others, no doubt, I have spent countless hours playing with the questions, the answers and the peer comments, and have boosted my ego to new heights by checking the points standings as often as once a day. To put it simply, Kudoz is one large playground that educates and lets me
    ... See more
    Dear Henry and the Proz team,

Thank you for your continuing attention and improvement efforts directed at the Kudoz section of Proz. Like many others, no doubt, I have spent countless hours playing with the questions, the answers and the peer comments, and have boosted my ego to new heights by checking the points standings as often as once a day. To put it simply, Kudoz is one large playground that educates and lets me grow as a person and a translator.

In fact, I have recently decided to go Platinum, in order to give back something back to the site and its creators (and enjoy the higher status, of course . It is now a matter of financial considerations, which will hopefully be settled very soon.

Last night, as soon as I saw the wonderful additions and new features on the Kudoz page, I said to myself, "Man, how am I going to get things done now, with all this extra stuff available on Kudoz?!" Still, I am very happy to see things changing and getting better.

Especially useful is the way the asker's name is now shown to the right of each question. Also, the new leaderboard is great, even if some of its parts repeat the new Freelancers directory. The additional little buttons, like the one letting us reverse pairs easily, are also very nice.

I have noticed one new modification though that I would like to clarify. The way that the PRO points and PRO questions are now emphasized, it becomes important to keep members from abusing the system. In connection with this, one of the bulletpoints in this post's initial message states that members have the freedom to re-classify questions they have been graded on as PRO or non-PRO, if and when that is allowed by the nature of the question.

Having seen a number of "easy" points in some of my categories, I decided I should browse them and see if some are not as easy as previously thought. In fact, I remember that quite a few questions I've answered before used to come from non-registered members (i.e. guests to the site), and were thus automatically entered as "Easy" ("non-PRO" in modern nomenclature).

However, as of this morning (6 AM site time), I found that my graded questions, for which I was awarded points, still required me to "Vote" for making them PRO. Now, that is kind of silly, I think, because these questions are almost a year old, and no one is going to go over them (except the graded answerer, of course) and vote to make them PRO. And if re-classification is up to the asker, many askers still remain non-registered members, thus nothing is going to be done about it.

I'm just wondering, is this intentional? I.e. does this correspond with this particular note: "With batch editing, it is possible to edit the detailed category of a question, the PRO/non-PRO status, and any glossary entries. Regular members will be able to edit questions in which they have earned points, and moderators will be able to edit all questions."

Or did I miss something perhaps?

Thanks again for your great work!
    Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
    Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
    Luksemburg
    angielski > rumuński
    + ...
    Great improvements! Apr 22, 2005

Thank you Henry and the other guys of the Proz.com team for your effort to make this site better and better. I’m very pleased with the new changes.

And I think you are following the right direction as to the distinction between Platinum and non-paying members. It is a good thing to give more to the Platinum members, without reducing the features available to the non-paying members. They are indeed very important for the usefulness and enjoyability of this site and should be stimul
    ... See more
    Thank you Henry and the other guys of the Proz.com team for your effort to make this site better and better. I’m very pleased with the new changes.

And I think you are following the right direction as to the distinction between Platinum and non-paying members. It is a good thing to give more to the Platinum members, without reducing the features available to the non-paying members. They are indeed very important for the usefulness and enjoyability of this site and should be stimulated to stay here.

As to the clickability in the leaderboard, I noticed that the potential outsourcer is at only two clicks away from the member’s profile, whether s/he is a Platinum or non-paying member. If one clicks the number of the PRO points in the leaderboard, s/he goes to the Kudoz page of the member and, then, with another click, the profile can be seen. To be honest, I find this way more convenient than opening the pop-up.
    Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
    CMJ_Trans (X)
    francuski > angielski
    + ...
    a refinement? Apr 22, 2005

For some strange reasons, the system is now functioning (!)
    I do however have a suggestion. Why not dispense with the title "non-pro" and simply put nothing at all for the "easier" and PRO for the others. I say this because you are now giving so much information that the page has become horribly crowded and it's hard to see the wood from the trees. Remember: KISS

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    ZAŁOŻYCIEL PORTALU
    NOWY TEMAT
    My apologies, CMJ_Trans! Apr 22, 2005

CMJ_Trans wrote:

I said I was trying to wean myself off but I hadn't realised I was going to get cold turkey!

I have to apologize - I tested for a few minutes using your settings, and that would have affected what you saw. You must have logged on during the few minutes I was doing that. Sorry!

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    ZAŁOŻYCIEL PORTALU
    NOWY TEMAT
    PRO/non-PRO editing put on hold Apr 22, 2005

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

However, as of this morning (6 AM site time), I found that my graded questions, for which I was awarded points, still required me to "Vote" for making them PRO. Now, that is kind of silly, I think, because these questions are almost a year old, and no one is going to go over them (except the graded answerer, of course) and vote to make them PRO. And if re-classification is up to the asker, many askers still remain non-registered members, thus nothing is going to be done about it.

I'm just wondering, is this intentional? I.e. does this correspond with this particular note: "With batch editing, it is possible to edit the detailed category of a question, the PRO/non-PRO status, and any glossary entries. Regular members will be able to edit questions in which they have earned points, and moderators will be able to edit all questions."

Sorry for the confusion. In this release we made it possible for everyone to edit PRO/non-PRO on their previous questions, but watching the reclassifications coming in--going from non-PRO to PRO and vice-versa--it looks like we'll have to do a better job of communicating what we intend for these categories to contain, or else there will be confusion. We'll take some steps and make another post about that.

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    ZAŁOŻYCIEL PORTALU
    NOWY TEMAT
    Thanks for the feedback, Mihai! Apr 22, 2005

Mihai Badea wrote:

And I think you are following the right direction as to the distinction between Platinum and non-paying members. It is a good thing to give more to the Platinum members, without reducing the features available to the non-paying members. They are indeed very important for the usefulness and enjoyability of this site and should be stimulated to stay here.

As to the clickability in the leaderboard, I noticed that the potential outsourcer is at only two clicks away from the member’s profile, whether s/he is a Platinum or non-paying member. If one clicks the number of the PRO points in the leaderboard, s/he goes to the Kudoz page of the member and, then, with another click, the profile can be seen. To be honest, I find this way more convenient than opening the pop-up.

Thanks for this feedback. The idea with the popups is to "shorten" your trip to the profile by giving you the first information you would search for, faster. What is the first information in the profile you search for? We are now gathering information on this so that we can improve the usefulness of the popups.

Konstantin Kisin
    Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
    Wielka Brytania
    Local time: 00:35
    rosyjski > angielski
    + ...
    field points for different languages count the same? Apr 22, 2005

• Modified KudoZ point display in profiles

Until now, all KudoZ point totals have been shown on the first tab in member profiles. Now, a summary of top point totals will be shown on the first page, with a link to a new tab with the full list of point totals (by language pair, field and detailed field). Point totals will be ordered according to PRO-level points. This change makes the profiles easier to read and faster to load, and further highlights member strengths. Members can customize summary displays by choosing which categories *not* to show (leaving the rest to be listed in order.)

• I think all the other changes are really super but I'm a little concerned that points from different language pairs are currently all bunched up into one.

For example, if you have 300 KudoZ in Bus/Fin it makes no difference whether you gained those in Rus->Eng or Eng->Rus or even more worryingly for people translating say from 2 different language into English; kudoz from Spanish into English count in the same place as French into English.

I'm not sure if others agree but I think it's quite important to be able to separate different language pairs...

Vladimir Pochinov
    Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
    Rosja
    angielski > rosyjski
    Limited number of language pairs for KOG searches... Why? Apr 22, 2005

KudoZ Open Glossaries (KOG) now organized by detailed fields

The browsable list of KudoZ glossary entries known as the KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary) is now organized by detailed field. You can pull up a glossary of English to Spanish Accounting terms, for example.

Why is the number of language pairs for KOG searches limited to a few languages? In particular, how can I search English-Russian glossaries using this page?

[Edited at 2005-04-22 11:36]

Roxana Cortijo
    Roxana Cortijo  Identity Verified
    Local time: 20:35
    angielski > hiszpański
    + ...
    I'm trapped!!! Apr 22, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

The KudoZ list page (KudoZ->Answer Questions on the main menu) remembers your most recent search settings each time you visit the page. If you are seeing only questions you have answered, try changing the "Personal" search option to "All questions". If you are seeing an editable view, try changing the "Display" search option to "concise".

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Hi, Jason

I tried your suggestion, but still can't return to "answer question". Any other solution?
    Regards,
    Roxana.-

Stron w wątku:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ updated in various ways

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »