Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
PRO/NON-PRO questions
Autor de la hebra: Sormane Gomes
Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
árabe
+ ...
Membership dues do not make a member professional, but requiring dues will drastically reduce abuse Apr 30, 2005

two2tango wrote:

There is no correlation between paying a membership and being professional.

Calling non-professional a colleague because he/she is not paying a site membership is, in my view, utterly wrong and unfair.

The correlation that I continue to point to is not between paying a membership and being professional. It is rather between minimum annual dues and behaving professionally.

Many non-paying members are full-fledged, experienced, thriving, accomplished professionals. And some of them even behave professionally as they participate in ProZ. I salute them all.

But there is no denying the obvious: the free-for-all model has proven to be an open invitation to abuse. Among the most recently discussed forms of abuse is multiple-profiles. Profiles are free of charge. One profile costs as much as 100 profiles. Is it any wonder that folks would try it? A low-cost membership level would go very far towards stemming this tide.

And that is just one example.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ucrania
Local time: 02:19
Miembro 2004
inglés al ruso
+ ...
There are at least two ways to compensate Apr 30, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:
Many non-paying members are full-fledged, experienced, thriving, accomplished professionals. And some of them even behave professionally as they participate in ProZ. I salute them all.
But there is no denying the obvious: the free-for-all model has proven to be an open invitation to abuse. Among the most recently discussed forms of abuse is multiple-profiles. Profiles are free of charge. One profile costs as much as 100 profiles. Is it any wonder that folks would try it? A low-cost membership level would go very far towards stemming this tide.

I see at least two ways to put the system on a give-and-take ground.

The first one is a payment, even small. This is a nice way, but the world is large enough, and there are countries on the globe in which a translator, however good, has real problems with sending money. I live in one of such countries, so I feel the problem.

The second solution may be even better: it's a way to connect the number of kudoZ points with the number of questions a person has a right to ask. It seems much better to me. Earn some points -- and you can ask this or that amount of professional questions. Looks like a fair deal, doesn't it? Or, if you are an outsider, pay a buck to support proZ for each question you ask. Outsiders get a professional help here, and usually people do pay for a professional help.

[Edited at 2005-04-30 15:36]

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PRO/NON-PRO questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »