A suggestion in advance - introduce an automatic link from Kudoz questions to the glossaries
Autor wątku: Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
japoński > hiszpański
+ ...
May 22, 2005

After all this talk about Kudoz, etc. I do believe that sooner or later Proz.com staff will do something (whatever) about it; when it happens I think (as an asker) it would be nice to introduce an automatic link from Kudoz questions to the glossaries (if possible). I must admit I seldom use the glossaries, but go directly to ask my question. NOT to excuse myself but, in my opinion, glossaries are not easy to use (as someone has already pointed somewhere else).
Just to mention it, Kudoz is
... See more
After all this talk about Kudoz, etc. I do believe that sooner or later Proz.com staff will do something (whatever) about it; when it happens I think (as an asker) it would be nice to introduce an automatic link from Kudoz questions to the glossaries (if possible). I must admit I seldom use the glossaries, but go directly to ask my question. NOT to excuse myself but, in my opinion, glossaries are not easy to use (as someone has already pointed somewhere else).
Just to mention it, Kudoz is always my last option, after dictionaries and other internet resources (Google, Yahoo, etc).
Just a suggestion, for when the time for changes comes.
Best regards.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-05-23 00:40]

[Edited at 2005-05-23 04:49]

[Edited at 2005-05-23 04:50]
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
arabski
+ ...
I second your suggestion May 23, 2005

Momoka wrote:

I seldom use the glossaries, but go directly to ask my question.

That is the common experience of most of us. I go to the general glossary when I remember seeing a question about the term that is troubling me; otherwise, the tendency is to ask the question directly.

When I hit the button to post the question, I often wish that the form I have just filled would query the general glossary first to see if this term has been posted before. If it has not, the question would be posted. If it has, I would be presented with th previous postings. If the previous postings satisfy my needs, I would cancel the question. If they do not, I would be required to include a note explaining why -- so that the answers I receive would not simply repeat what is in the general glossary. Then, I would post the question as a new question.

If this could be accomplished, everybody would benefit.

Monique Laville
Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 21:01
włoski > francuski
+ ...
good suggestion May 23, 2005

Such talks about kudoz being frequent, I suggested months ago that the asker of a term already existing in the kudoz glossaries should be automatically directed to that term. I had no answer at that time. I suppose it is not easy to implement.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Szwecja
Local time: 21:01
Członek ProZ.com
od 2000

niemiecki > szwedzki
+ ...
In Memoriam
Seconded! May 23, 2005

We have been suggesting it many times for 4 years but there seems to be a number of programming problems, which will evntually be overcom.

Mats

Momoka (X)
japoński > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Not the first! May 23, 2005

Hello, all! Thanks for your support but I can see...I'm not the first to propose this. With less than a year in Proz.com, I didn't know (or maybe, hadn't noticed?) this suggestion had been made before. Anyway, I'm with you!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:01
ZAŁOŻYCIEL PORTALU
To be done in next release May 23, 2005

We have this planned for the next KudoZ release (due out by the end of August.) Thanks!

Momoka (X)
japoński > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Looking forward to it... May 24, 2005

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A suggestion in advance - introduce an automatic link from Kudoz questions to the glossaries

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »