Pagine:   < [1 2]
Kudoz: trashing other people's answers and then suggesting one of your own...
Iniziatore argomento: paula arturo
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:16
Membro (2002)
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...

Moderatore
that's my experience too Michele Jul 20, 2005

Many feel that if you disagree, it's because you know a better option. Of course, sometimes you disagree with one and agree with the other, in which case the asker is much better equipped to direct his/her research of the term.

There are times, though, when translating idioms/sayings, for example, where I can see a translator disagreeing with an answer saying something like 'I don't know what the best translation would be, but this answer is unidiomatic, doesn't exist, etc'. S/he w
... See more
Many feel that if you disagree, it's because you know a better option. Of course, sometimes you disagree with one and agree with the other, in which case the asker is much better equipped to direct his/her research of the term.

There are times, though, when translating idioms/sayings, for example, where I can see a translator disagreeing with an answer saying something like 'I don't know what the best translation would be, but this answer is unidiomatic, doesn't exist, etc'. S/he would have no alternative to offer, but would have stated an opinion regarding an answer that was provided but was not suitable for demonstrative reasons.

After all, KudoZ is there for the askers, not the answerers, right?

Nancy
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
Stati Uniti
Membro (2003)
Da Francese a Inglese
I agree with that, Paula Jul 21, 2005

paula arturo wrote:

Hi guys,
I totally agree with "neutral" bieng a nicer way to disagree, but actually what I'm talking about is using either neutral or disagree to put down someone else's answer only to make your own seem better. In my language pair a couple of people do that every single time they answer a question and honestly, it's getting a bit annoying. So it's not so much about neutral vs. disagree, it's more about trashing other people's answers.
Paula

Hi, Paula! Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.:)

I do agree that the petty comments are unnecessary. My own experience has also been that there are a couple of occasions where I gave an honest disagree and the person responded in a very defensive manner. I would think that they could either learn something - you know, take it as constructive criticism - or just say nothing.

I would say, and this is my opinion, that if someone does what you described, perhaps this should be brought to the attention of the moderator(s) in that language pair. I know that the moderators and staff here are always trying to improve things so for one thing, if they know about issues then they can try to improve, and also, that just might solve the problem for you, too.;)

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 19:16
Membro
Da Olandese a Inglese
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:47]

Gina W
Gina W
Stati Uniti
Membro (2003)
Da Francese a Inglese
Unfortunately, I have to agree with this... Jul 23, 2005

Marijke Singer wrote:

Needless to say, I very rarely answer questions these days (too much aggression and vindictiveness in my opinion).

Yes, I think there is way too much nastiness. I don't quite understand some people and what their actual point is in the things they write. I guess they don't care how unprofessional and downright rude certain comments are. THOSE PEOPLE are the ones who don't deserve work - NOT the less experienced but more professional translators who many of these high-and-mighty individuals think do not deserve the work. JMO.

It's a shame how many people have admitted that they don't answer questions much anymore, for the exact reasons you wrote, Marijke.

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: trashing other people's answers and then suggesting one of your own...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »