Thread poster: Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 21, 2007

Hi,
I'd like to know why the questions closed in that way are not recognizable as such in the Kudoz general table (unless the asker gives his/her solution as well, which is not always the case).

It has happend several times that I thought a question was still to be answered, because obviously I didn't notice the said sentence written in black at the upper left corner. It's a bit frustrating to do a lot of research in order to give a good answer and to notice only afterwards, t
... See more
Hi,
I'd like to know why the questions closed in that way are not recognizable as such in the Kudoz general table (unless the asker gives his/her solution as well, which is not always the case).

It has happend several times that I thought a question was still to be answered, because obviously I didn't notice the said sentence written in black at the upper left corner. It's a bit frustrating to do a lot of research in order to give a good answer and to notice only afterwards, that the question has already been closed. Of course, I try to remember to check first, if it is still open, but sometimes I forget that.

I think it would be a good idea to highlight those questions, too, in the table, wouldn't it?

Have a nice Sunday!
Heike
Collapse

tyamamur
tyamamur  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:25
Member (2006)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I agree! Jan 21, 2007

Heike, I have the same experience with you. Technically you can click on "answer" and give your answer even after the question was closed without grading. And I did not realize that early enough. It would be nice to have some interface improvements considered from a user perspective

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your "agree" Jan 21, 2007

... but as it seems, the two of us are the only ones with that "problem"

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
No, sure you aren't! Jan 21, 2007

Heike Steffens wrote:

... but as it seems, the two of us are the only ones with that "problem"

It bothers me, too! Many a time I realised only after having answered a question that it had already been closed. Surely this should be prevented to happen.

I read your post earlier but didn't reply before because so many suggestions for improvements don't never ever get any feedback from the staff, so I am not very confident anything will change.

Anyway, please consider it's weekend and people who are/were working today might not have had the leisure to read the forum.

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Buon giorno Christel, Jan 22, 2007

ah no, here, one has to write in English!

Thanks for your answer. It consoles me to know that there are others too, with the same experience. I started wondering that it might be a special and completely personal lack of attention on my side...

BTW, another question I would like to ask: I've learned that aswered questions that are not closed by the asker (even after reminders sent by the system), will be
... See more
ah no, here, one has to write in English!

Thanks for your answer. It consoles me to know that there are others too, with the same experience. I started wondering that it might be a special and completely personal lack of attention on my side...

BTW, another question I would like to ask: I've learned that aswered questions that are not closed by the asker (even after reminders sent by the system), will be closed automatically (on the basis of peer comments or whatever). But there are lots of questions (duly answered) that go back to June 2006 that are still open. Just wondering.

Have a nice day.

Ciao
Heike
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Automated closing subject to condition Jan 22, 2007

Heike Steffens wrote:
BTW, another question I would like to ask: I've learned that aswered questions that are not closed by the asker (even after reminders sent by the system), will be closed automatically (on the basis of peer comments or whatever). But there are lots of questions (duly answered) that go back to June 2006 that are still open. Just wondering.

Hi Heike,

Questions are closed automatically only if at least one of the answers provided has attracted a minimum of two net agrees (e. g. three agrees minus one disagree = two agrees). In such a case, the answer with the highest number of net agrees will be selected by the so-called "grading robot", which is a routine programmed into the KudoZ system.

Best regards,
Steffen

[Edited at 2007-01-22 09:54]

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Steffen Jan 22, 2007

... got it! One point cleared up!

Have a nice day!
Heike

sarahjeanne (X)
sarahjeanne (X)
Brazil
Local time: 09:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
not totally pointless... Jan 22, 2007

I wish that I could remember where I saw it, but once when I was looking up a word in Terms, there was a posting where the asker had already chosen an answer and afterwards another person came in and gave the "right" answer explaining in detail why the chosen answer was completely wrong. I ended up using this other term and had a better translation. It does seem unfair though that someone got points for a giving a completely wrong answer but then again it happens ALL the time. That's why I al... See more
I wish that I could remember where I saw it, but once when I was looking up a word in Terms, there was a posting where the asker had already chosen an answer and afterwards another person came in and gave the "right" answer explaining in detail why the chosen answer was completely wrong. I ended up using this other term and had a better translation. It does seem unfair though that someone got points for a giving a completely wrong answer but then again it happens ALL the time. That's why I always look at the questions closely when researching in Terms. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you won't get any points you can feel good about helping out other translators and clarifying a term that the asker may not have fully understood before choosing the "winner." But it does suck to do all that work for nothing.Collapse

Heike Steffens
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oí Sarah, Jan 22, 2007

obrigada ... for your post

Of course, you are right, too, pointing out that the main target is to help others and I totally agree with you in that point. The only thing I find frustrating and annoying is that some askers don't even give us the solution they found (in order to help others, in case ...!).

Further more, I believe it's a matter of politeness and cooperativeness to give the answerer a short fee
... See more
obrigada ... for your post

Of course, you are right, too, pointing out that the main target is to help others and I totally agree with you in that point. The only thing I find frustrating and annoying is that some askers don't even give us the solution they found (in order to help others, in case ...!).

Further more, I believe it's a matter of politeness and cooperativeness to give the answerer a short feedback, independent of the fact that s/he has already closed the question.

Boa noite
Heike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question was closed without grading

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »