Thread poster: Kay Denney
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:59
French to English
Mar 6

This looks like a great romp of a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/mar/02/the-extinction-of-irena-rey-by-jennifer-croft-review-eight-translators-lost-in-a-forest

"Reading a translator translating a translator is a brain-twister like no other, and it can’t fail to c
... See more
This looks like a great romp of a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/mar/02/the-extinction-of-irena-rey-by-jennifer-croft-review-eight-translators-lost-in-a-forest

"Reading a translator translating a translator is a brain-twister like no other, and it can’t fail to change the way you think about language. It feels like a privilege, too, to appreciate the passages that seem to have been written specifically to amuse her colleagues. Notably English’s version of a work by a Polish poet deemed untranslatable, which runs: “The world persists, but insecurely! / The rustling trees grow ultratreely!” You can picture translators gleefully texting it to each other with laughing-face emojis. It’s a glimpse into a profession that serves as a fascinating metaphor for our parasitic, multilingual, creatively prolific world."

As if translators would text using emojis!

(And I will admit to making up the word "birdly" in a recent translation, because "bird-like" just wouldn't work)

[Edited at 2024-03-06 13:17 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
ibz
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Translatorly pursuits Mar 6

Kay Denney wrote:
(And I will admit to making up the word "birdly" in a recent translation, because "bird-like" just wouldn't work)

A magnificent word. I wish I had occasion to use it in my own oeuvre.

Maybe we should be bolder.

I can't be the only one (translator/linguist/writer/human) who routinely makes words up and misuses language in real life without being misunderstood.

P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Something for your to-read list

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »