Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:22
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, they can be decorative Dec 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

CDs and LPs look cool on the shelves (can't say the same for cassettes/tapes though).

A friend of mine has a couple of LP-sized picture frames on a wall in his studio, and he replaces the albums in them every few weeks - looks good and often becomes a talking point.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:22
English to Turkish
LP Dec 13, 2022

If you had the first edition of this LP, apparently you wouldn't have to work for a few months...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Round_the_Edges

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not me Dec 13, 2022

I got rid of almost all of mine when I moved

Books too

I don’t miss them

Turns out they had less sentimental value than I thought

Jan Truper
Cilian O'Tuama

Laurence Fogarty
Laurence Fogarty  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't bin them yet.... Dec 13, 2022

As a vinyl lover myself, I know that for a house move the albums would be a major logistical issue. So what you do with them kind of depends on the collection you have. As another responder has said, if you have original copies of certain records, they can be sold for a good price. If the discs are/were million-sellers, then they probably won't be worth so much. You could try to find a second-hand market near you and tell a vinyl seller about your collection, they will come and collect from you ... See more
As a vinyl lover myself, I know that for a house move the albums would be a major logistical issue. So what you do with them kind of depends on the collection you have. As another responder has said, if you have original copies of certain records, they can be sold for a good price. If the discs are/were million-sellers, then they probably won't be worth so much. You could try to find a second-hand market near you and tell a vinyl seller about your collection, they will come and collect from you if they are interested..and pay you something.Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Vinyl Dec 13, 2022

Seriously, though. Aside from those super-duper ultra-rare copies, are vinyl records really worth it? I've been wanting to start collecting them, but still not sure if this is a good way to spend my money. From what I read, they are very fragile, and the sound quality would degrade the more you play them. My biggest concern, however, is humidity. I reside in a tropical country, you see. Sometimes it feels like living in a sauna here. Could these LPs take such equatorial punishment? :/

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That's what I did Dec 13, 2022

Laurence Fogarty wrote:

As a vinyl lover myself, I know that for a house move the albums would be a major logistical issue. So what you do with them kind of depends on the collection you have. As another responder has said, if you have original copies of certain records, they can be sold for a good price. If the discs are/were million-sellers, then they probably won't be worth so much. You could try to find a second-hand market near you and tell a vinyl seller about your collection, they will come and collect from you if they are interested..and pay you something.

... Going through some old files yesterday I found my original advertisement that I paid to have published in the now-defunct weekly magazine Loot (this was in the 1990s when the Internet was in its infancy)

"Jazz: for connoisseurs only! Collection of 200 lovingly preserved vinyl LPs for sale from £1,50 min. to £6,00 max. including classics by Shepp, Bobby Timmons, Cecil Taylor, Mingus, Jaki Byard, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins, Wes Montgomery, Monk etc. For sale singly or as a whole collection. Call and I’ll fax or mail you the full list with prices. 0171 XXXX XXXX"

I sold all of them! For cash!

[Edited at 2022-12-13 13:25 GMT]

Laurence Fogarty
Laurence Fogarty  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Oh no, Tom..... Dec 13, 2022

I would have bought all of them off you....!!!

Tom in London

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Cloud Dec 14, 2022

I have many CD:s converted to MP3 and stored on the cloud. My app can play them all shuffled which makes fun, when after a song by SOAD comes a Russian romance sung by Hvorostovky and after that maybe Leonard Cohen or Georg Ots. Surprise me!

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 12:22
Member (2011)
English to German
My experiences with selling old stuff Dec 15, 2022

I have tried to sell my first albums, e.g. from the Beatles, however, the people asked if they were still unopened/unused and in original condition. They were not, so I didn't sell any of them.

In 2019 I offered my father's shellac records from his time during World War II in Germany and France at a garage sale in my community. The only person, who seemed to be interested was a guy who wanted to sell me HIS gramophone. So you see, it doesn't really make sense to hold on to old stuff
... See more
I have tried to sell my first albums, e.g. from the Beatles, however, the people asked if they were still unopened/unused and in original condition. They were not, so I didn't sell any of them.

In 2019 I offered my father's shellac records from his time during World War II in Germany and France at a garage sale in my community. The only person, who seemed to be interested was a guy who wanted to sell me HIS gramophone. So you see, it doesn't really make sense to hold on to old stuff.

Saying that, after my husband passed away last year, I moved and took all his books with me, although my new home isn't that spacious. I donated his clothes and a lot of other things, but I just couldn't discard the books. They are full of underlined sentences he deemed important and also include his remarks. Well, I think it is time for me to take a closer look and gather the information...

Carpe Diem Et Noctemque
Marina
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
@Heinrich Dec 15, 2022

I also like Leonard Cohen and didn't know that he already passed away in 2016.

In memoriam: Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker (Lyric)

Carpe Diem Et Noctemque
Marina

Keeping vinyl records is an investment in the future Dec 15, 2022

Owning a gramophone (vinyl) record and keeping an eye on its physical condition is an investment in the future, because over time the price of such a copy in perfect condition can be several times higher than the value you paid when it debuted. Especially as these are limited editions, which go out of circulation after a fixed edition. However, buying a copy now, at the time of its release, and owning it for the next forty years, will make you own the first edition, and these usually eventually ... See more
Owning a gramophone (vinyl) record and keeping an eye on its physical condition is an investment in the future, because over time the price of such a copy in perfect condition can be several times higher than the value you paid when it debuted. Especially as these are limited editions, which go out of circulation after a fixed edition. However, buying a copy now, at the time of its release, and owning it for the next forty years, will make you own the first edition, and these usually eventually gain in value. For example, you can check what the cost of the first edition of Pink Floyd's The Wall album is, and how much modern reissues are. This is because the first pressing is also a limited edition in some capacity and the stock of copies offered in circulation will steadily shrink. Many people will have such a release in their private collection and it will never appear in used vinyls services or auctions, while many copies will deteriorate after some time.Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
music collections Dec 16, 2022

I have about 1200 music CDs, listen to them frequently. But not forgetting I can hear/see about 10 different versions of Turandot on the Internet.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Never Dec 16, 2022

Marian Zamojski wrote:

..... buying a copy now, at the time of its release, and owning it for the next forty years, will make you own the first edition....

Yes- buying a copy now, at the time of its release, and owning it for the next forty years, AND NEVER EVEN UNWRAPPING IT and CERTAINLY NEVER PLAYING IT !!!!!

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
A Note on Audio Quality Dec 16, 2022

When it comes to listening to music, you have some options, indeed, a lot of options. You can use LP records, CDs, MP3, or you can stream on the Internet.

MP3 is compressed music, you lose a lot of data when you compress the music. That is why I never use MP3 at all. Streaming sites like Spotify and Pandora use a bit rate of either 160 kbps or 320 kbps, and they cannot go beyond the quality of MP3. Therefore, streaming music is inferior to LP records and CDs. In that respect, I
... See more
When it comes to listening to music, you have some options, indeed, a lot of options. You can use LP records, CDs, MP3, or you can stream on the Internet.

MP3 is compressed music, you lose a lot of data when you compress the music. That is why I never use MP3 at all. Streaming sites like Spotify and Pandora use a bit rate of either 160 kbps or 320 kbps, and they cannot go beyond the quality of MP3. Therefore, streaming music is inferior to LP records and CDs. In that respect, I believe streaming music will never replace LPs or CDs at all.

That leaves us with good old LP records and CDs. I think both have advantages and disadvantages. Most audiophiles claim that LP sound is acoustically superior to CD sound albeit surface noise. I personally find both satisfying and adequate as far as audio quality is concerned. We can go into more technical details but I really do not want to. I will give a few websites below for those interested in technical details.

LP records are meant to be played at home, usually with high quality audio equipment. CDs, on the other hand, can be played both at home and in the car. In that respect, CDs are more versatile. You can just place a CD in your CD player, and it will start playing almost instantly. LP records need to be placed on the turntable first, then dusted, and played. Therefore, I find myself playing CDs much more frequently than records at home.

Here are the websites to read only if you are interested in more technical insight regarding the above topics.

https://electronics.sony.com/hi-res-audio-mp3-cd-sound-quality-comparison
https://www.soundguys.com/vinyl-better-than-streaming-20654/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/interactive/2022/perfect-sound-quality-vinyl-records/
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
People keep saying that Dec 16, 2022

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

MP3 is compressed music, you lose a lot of data when you compress the music.

People keep saying that but I have no complaints. I'm a very attentive listener to music, and with the audio system I have, I hear every detail. I use Spotify all the time to explore music I would otherwise not know about. I don't sit worrying about the data compression or sound wave clipping or whatever. I use this old, and extremely good amplifier that has had to be repaired several times:

1006nad.1

https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1006nad/index.html

and if you saw the way I get Spotify on my PC through an HDMI cable to my Smart TV and then from the Smart TV through a DAC and a long cable to the NAD amplifier, your hair would stand on end. But I'm happy with it ! The sound is excellent!

[Edited at 2022-12-16 17:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do people nowadays have music collections

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »