Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Off topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe (inwardly)
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:34
English to Turkish
Cringe Dec 26, 2022

Great stuff... I really wonder how the Greek translator is translating all this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1IH1vCvko

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for taking this so far and for sticking to the intended point 😊 Dec 29, 2022

It would’ve been even more chaotic if I hadn’t tried to restrict it to one particular language.
I hope to choose my words more wisely next time.

Robert Rietvelt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Running Dec 29, 2022

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

It would’ve been even more chaotic if I hadn’t tried to restrict it to one particular language.
I hope to choose my words more wisely next time.

Well, now that you've set the hare running...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cringe Dec 29, 2022

Pronunciation that makes me cringe:

1. The Russian surname "Putin" pronounced in a way that rhymes with "Rootin' tootin'". Or that adds an "i" as in "Piutin".

2. "The" Ukraine.

[Edited at 2022-12-29 08:22 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom the hare Dec 29, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Well, now that you've set the hare running...

You might prefer to start your own thread. Which part of "English words" confused you?

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No part of that Dec 29, 2022

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Which part of "English words" confused you?

There is nothing about the phrase "English words" that confuses me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The constantly changing English language Jan 1, 2023

It is now extremely common, in everyday (careless conversational) English pronunciation, to completely remove the letter "T" as in, example "habit", which is now commonly pronounced "habi'".

All words ending with the letter "t" have been replaced with that silent apostrophe.

This major change in everyday English has crept up on us unnoticed. There are no class distinctions; without exception, this changed pronunciation has been adopted by almost everyone including on t
... See more
It is now extremely common, in everyday (careless conversational) English pronunciation, to completely remove the letter "T" as in, example "habit", which is now commonly pronounced "habi'".

All words ending with the letter "t" have been replaced with that silent apostrophe.

This major change in everyday English has crept up on us unnoticed. There are no class distinctions; without exception, this changed pronunciation has been adopted by almost everyone including on the BBC (which for some time now, in any case, has no longer been the guardian of proper English)

EXAMPLES

It isn't the only one = I' isn' the only one
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you = I wouldn' worry about i' if I were you
Don't worry; I haven't forgotten = Don' worry; I haven' forgo''en.

And so on. Non-native English speakers beware! Please don't learn to pronounce English that way!

(Please don' learn to pronounce English tha' way)

[Edited at 2023-01-01 12:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-01 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
German to English
Coup de grace Jan 1, 2023

This is commonly mispronounced by many speakers of American and British English alike as "koo de gra" (coup de gras), which has an entirely different – if somewhat ridiculous – meaning in French.

[Edited at 2023-01-01 16:18 GMT]

Tom in London
writeaway
expressisverbis

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:34
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Ukraine Jan 1, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

2. "The" Ukraine.

I know it is not correct anymore. But somehow I tend to add a "the" before Ukraine just like the Gambia, the Netherlands and the Congo.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jan 1, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

This major change in everyday English has crept up on us unnoticed. There are no class distinctions;

I always thought this was some working class or regional thing -- years ago I was having breakfast with a nice English working class lad in a Greek restaurant in L.A., and when he ordered an omelette, he said:
It's be'a with Fe'a ("it's better with Feta")

expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Cockney Jan 1, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

This major change in everyday English has crept up on us unnoticed. There are no class distinctions;

I always thought this was some working class or regional thing -- years ago I was having breakfast with a nice English working class lad in a Greek restaurant in L.A., and when he ordered an omelette, he said:
It's be'a with Fe'a ("it's better with Feta")

The Cockney accent is characterized by the letter 't' being pronounced with less intensity, or almost ignored altogether. This is called a glottal stop in phonetics. Therefore, words like “better” are pronounced more like “beh-uh.”

https://www.tandem.net/blog/introduction-to-english-accents

Otherwise, examples by Tom are completely fine in US English. Ending consonants are usually silent in US English. There are a lot of variations of silent or glottal T in US English (and it's perfectly correct).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I knew someone would say that… Jan 2, 2023

[quote]Lingua 5B wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

The Cockney accent

… but it isn't cockney. It's everybody.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Chaise lounge Jan 2, 2023

I cringe every time I hear the transformation of “chaise longue” into “chaise lounge”…

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Pop Jan 2, 2023

I cringe every time I hear an English person saying "pop", in an effort to downplay the true significance of the situation, as in "I'm just going to pop this oxygen mask on you"

Also (this isn't about pronunciation) but it's another English thing that makes me cringe. Images of English people (especially in advertisements) holding a large mug, presumably filled with tea. I think you're meant to think that this makes them friendly and warm. I just find it embarrassing.

[Edit
... See more
I cringe every time I hear an English person saying "pop", in an effort to downplay the true significance of the situation, as in "I'm just going to pop this oxygen mask on you"

Also (this isn't about pronunciation) but it's another English thing that makes me cringe. Images of English people (especially in advertisements) holding a large mug, presumably filled with tea. I think you're meant to think that this makes them friendly and warm. I just find it embarrassing.

[Edited at 2023-01-02 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And another Jan 2, 2023

(not really pronunciation)

When people ask themselves a question and then answer the question themselves. What's the point?

As in this example, just seen on Twitter:

"Am I a dyed-in-the-wool, pro-democracy and consequently pro-Dem partisan who lets his hopes color his analysis? Probably"

(I suppose I should just be thankful that he didn't reply "likely").

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation that makes you cringe (inwardly)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »