Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 28, 2023

I'm livid. I'll be traveling to the US for a month next week. A quick online check told me that all I'd need to drive would be my original Italian license as an IDP wasn't required. As it turns out, that information was incorrect. I checked with the Insurance company to make sure everything would be in order and found out that NY requires an IDP or an official translation of the license.

Now it's too late to get an IDP - I figure someone here knows how one can get a certified trans
... See more
I'm livid. I'll be traveling to the US for a month next week. A quick online check told me that all I'd need to drive would be my original Italian license as an IDP wasn't required. As it turns out, that information was incorrect. I checked with the Insurance company to make sure everything would be in order and found out that NY requires an IDP or an official translation of the license.

Now it's too late to get an IDP - I figure someone here knows how one can get a certified translation in the US as I'm not familiar with the process

I don't NEED to drive but I'll be staying for a while in a rural area with a friend who's disabled and having a valid license would be helpful to run errands and stuff without having to depend on someone else.

Thanks,

S.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I can do the translation for you Jul 28, 2023

A certified translation in the USA is just a translation to which the translator attaches an affidavit of accurate translation. It helps if the translator is himself (or herself) ATA-certified. The affidavit of accurate translation may also be notarized (i.e., the translator's signature authenticated by a "notary public").

If you want, I can do the translation and certification for you. Conact me directly (RSchiaffino @ aliquantuminc.com) for details.

[Edited at 2023-07-28 2
... See more
A certified translation in the USA is just a translation to which the translator attaches an affidavit of accurate translation. It helps if the translator is himself (or herself) ATA-certified. The affidavit of accurate translation may also be notarized (i.e., the translator's signature authenticated by a "notary public").

If you want, I can do the translation and certification for you. Conact me directly (RSchiaffino @ aliquantuminc.com) for details.

[Edited at 2023-07-28 23:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:56
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 28, 2023

Thanks. I will have to check if it actually should be accepted as the DMV was useless in providing information. I suppose I'll have to call the police.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 15:56
Romanian to English
+ ...
Serena, Jul 29, 2023

Do you have an European valid driving license?
If I am not mistaken, it is translated in English as well.

You don't need anything. You can drive with your European license + passport for max 6 months anywhere in the US. For up to 1 year you need an IDL/IDP.

Next time get an IDP, because there are many ill-informed law enforcement in the US.

An International Driving Permit is not required in NYS, but it is helpful (especially if your license is not in
... See more

You don't need anything. You can drive with your European license + passport for max 6 months anywhere in the US. For up to 1 year you need an IDL/IDP.

Next time get an IDP, because there are many ill-informed law enforcement in the US.

An International Driving Permit is not required in NYS, but it is helpful (especially if your license is not in English) because it informs authorities in several languages that you have a valid driver's license. By itself, the International Driving Permit is not valid for driving in NYS.

Good luck,
Lee
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:56
Danish to English
+ ...
https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/resources-non-us-citizens Jul 29, 2023

The DMV website for New York says:

Resources for non-US citizens
Drivers from other countries

Only New York state residents need New York State driver licenses

You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another country. You do not need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a New York State resident.

Here is Bard's reply:

... See more
The DMV website for New York says:

Resources for non-US citizens
Drivers from other countries

Only New York state residents need New York State driver licenses

You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another country. You do not need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a New York State resident.

Here is Bard's reply:

Yes, an Italian tourist in New York can legally drive with their Italian driving license. The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) recognizes valid driver's licenses from all countries, including Italy. However, it is advisable to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) as well. An IDP is a translation of your driver's license into several languages, which can be helpful if you are pulled over by the police.

You may be asked to provide an official translation of your Italian driver's license.

Here are some official US government sources that confirm that you can drive in New York with an Italian driver's license:

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drive-new-york-state
USA.gov: https://www.usa.gov/non-citizen-driving
InterExchange: https://www.interexchange.org/handbooks/inside-the-usa/driving/
These sources all state that you can drive in New York with a valid driver's license from any country, including Italy. However, they also recommend that you get an International Driving Permit (IDP) as well. An IDP is a translation of your driver's license into several languages, which can be helpful if you are pulled over by the police.

So it looks like although you are entitled to use your licence, it's better to get that IDP too, as police and others may not be aware that you are driving legally.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
German to English
Not so Jul 30, 2023

Serena,

I drove for a couple of decades in the US each year when I visited. I had a German license (originally British, but then I exchanged it for a German one when I moved to Germany). It was always accepted by the rental car companies in each state I drove. Checked by highway patrols several times, and nobody blinked an eyelid.

Riccardo already told you about "certified" translations in the US. They're dead simple to obtain.

Have fun in NY (though I woul
... See more
Serena,

I drove for a couple of decades in the US each year when I visited. I had a German license (originally British, but then I exchanged it for a German one when I moved to Germany). It was always accepted by the rental car companies in each state I drove. Checked by highway patrols several times, and nobody blinked an eyelid.

Riccardo already told you about "certified" translations in the US. They're dead simple to obtain.

Have fun in NY (though I would avoid driving in NYC if possible).

Robin
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:56
Danish to English
+ ...
European licences Jul 31, 2023

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

My German licence is only in German. The fields are numbered according to the EU's standard for licences, but a US police officer would probably not have that information.

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translation in the USA

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »