Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 29, 2012

I'm having a problem with editing a PowerPoint presentation. On the left-hand side of the slide are a number of text boxes which I can edit in the normal way. The problem lies with the right-hand side of the slide, this would appear to be a picture although it contains text, i.e. words. I am completely unable to edit this and am driving the household insane with my hysteria.
Does anyone have any ideas please as to what I can do.
Thanks
Suzi

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:44
English to Russian
+ ...
If it is Jul 29, 2012

a picture - you can do nothing about it. You will have to copy it into any external application (use Paint for example) and add necessary text there. Then just copy this picture back to the presentation.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 10:44
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ask the customer Jul 29, 2012

As Vadim says, it may be uneditable by you; you could check and see just what format it is, since SOME image formats may, for example, be editable once you have them in (say) Word?

However, rather than waste all your time on it, it might be best to ask your customer what they would prefer you to do; in most such cases, my customers instruct me to simply supply the translations in a separate file, so that their graphics people can readily make the modifications needed.

O
... See more
As Vadim says, it may be uneditable by you; you could check and see just what format it is, since SOME image formats may, for example, be editable once you have them in (say) Word?

However, rather than waste all your time on it, it might be best to ask your customer what they would prefer you to do; in most such cases, my customers instruct me to simply supply the translations in a separate file, so that their graphics people can readily make the modifications needed.

Otherwise, as Vadim says, copy the image out into another application where you can apply text boxes over the existing legends; the result is rarely very elegant, but can sometimes save the day!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:44
English to Thai
+ ...
They are mostly editable Jul 29, 2012

I met with similar situations many times with Power Point *.ppt files. (1) For graphic from Excel data, double click to edit [change graphic texts]. (2) For uneditable texts but you can translation into other languages (e.g. with a CAT tool), edit via CAT or right click to see hidden formats that you can edit text. Ask the client if you do not decide finally.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Any way to do this... Jul 29, 2012

with Wordfast Anywhere?

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
A graphic Jul 29, 2012

I usually send the translation in the body of the email message as text when I deliver the translated document (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc). Is the job of a graphic designer to modify it.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
PowerPoint is your friend Jul 30, 2012

Tony M wrote:

copy the image out into another application where you can apply text boxes over the existing legends; the result is rarely very elegant, but can sometimes save the day!

PowerPoint allows you to apply text boxes over existing graphics. Why should one use any different application for this?

christela (X)
christela (X)
No Jul 30, 2012

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

with Wordfast Anywhere?

Wordfast cannot edit text in images.

Another suggestion: cover this text with a new text box of approx. the same size.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the replies. In the end, I just passed everything back to the PM to sort out as I couldn't face messing around any longer.
Have a nice week.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Reason for going external Jul 31, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:

PowerPoint allows you to apply text boxes over existing graphics. Why should one use any different application for this?

Yes, Rolf, and of course for simple situations, that is fine; in my own workflow, I have sometimes copied images out into Word, where I have found I was able to actually edit them using picture editor.

However, the main reason I copy things into an external application is simply because the graphics facilities are relatively rudimentary in both Word and PPT, and while they may suffice for images that were originally created in these apps, for other graphics the results can be very messy. So I prefer to copy out into a 'proper' graphics app. like Photoshop etc., where I can do a more sophisticated job and often produce a seamless result.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PPT picture editing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »