Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 04:03
испанский => английский
+ ...
Jul 10, 2006

Hi all

I need to set up an automatic reply for my holidays to advise people that I'm away.

Can I do this in Outlook 6?

TIA:-)

Ailish

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 23:03
английский => испанский
+ ...
Webmail/ rule Jul 10, 2006

does your ISP have a web site?

If not you could set up a rule (tools)

Alicia

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Бразилия
Local time: 23:03
Член ProZ.com c 2001
английский => итальянский
+ ...
Automatic reply is a server feature Jul 10, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
I need to set up an automatic reply for my holidays to advise people that I'm away.

Can I do this in Outlook 6?

I believe that the automatic reply is a feature generally available in a mail server only, and not in any email client.
Is your computer being left switched on, and connected, to receive incoming emails, to which it can reply automatically?

Alternatively, if you use a webmail service, you may have this feature available by your email provider, but not on your Outlook client (resident in your PC)

bye
Gianfranco

Adam Smith
Adam Smith
Великобритания
Local time: 03:03
голландский => английский
+ ...
It can be done... Jul 11, 2006

Hi Lia,

There isn't a feature in Outlook Express which lets you do this automatically (unlike in MS Outlook), however you can set up your own rule to overcome this (it's fiddly, but it works):

1. Create a new email with your message, e.g. "I will be away ...";

2. Save this as a text file (.txt);

3. Select "Tools" -> "Message rules" -> "Mail" from the toolbar;

4. A new window should now appear with "New mail rule" as the title;
... See more
Hi Lia,

There isn't a feature in Outlook Express which lets you do this automatically (unlike in MS Outlook), however you can set up your own rule to overcome this (it's fiddly, but it works):

1. Create a new email with your message, e.g. "I will be away ...";

2. Save this as a text file (.txt);

3. Select "Tools" -> "Message rules" -> "Mail" from the toolbar;

4. A new window should now appear with "New mail rule" as the title;

5. There are 4 boxes:

a. 1. Select the Conditions for your rule; select the final option here "For all messages" (i.e. click on the tickbox on the left);

b. Go to the second box and select "Reply with message" action;

c. If you've done all this then you should see this message in the third box down:

"Apply this rule after the message arrives
For all messages
Reply with message"

The word "message" will be highlighted & underlined; Click on this and another window will open. Use this window to find the text file with your message. Once you've selected the file, the system takes you back to the original window. You can then enter an optional name for the rule, then click "OK" and you're done!

This message will now be sent in reply to all incoming messages, so obviously it's best to set it up just before you leave. To cancel the rule when you get back repeat steps 1-3, and select the "remove" button.

As I said - it's fiddly, but it works!

Hope this helps!

Adam
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 04:03
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thanks everybodY! Jul 11, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

I believe that the automatic reply is a feature generally available in a mail server only, and not in any email client.
Is your computer being left switched on, and connected, to receive incoming emails, to which it can reply automatically?

Alternatively, if you use a webmail service, you may have this feature available by your email provider, but not on your Outlook client (resident in your PC)

bye
Gianfranco

Yes, I was getting my cables crossed, of course it has to be through the server:-)

I have created a message, thanks very much to all:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express 6 - automated holiday reply

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »