Autor de la hebra: Bodil Little
Bodil Little
Bodil Little  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 05:50
inglés al danés
+ ...
Aug 15, 2006

I am going insane and hoping that some of you bright people might be able to help! I run XP, Office 2003 and Trados 6.5 and I constantly run into problems when dealing with numbers/measurements in the Trados segments. Word keeps crashing. I have never seen this problem until I switched from Word 2000 to 2003. I have the latest updates/patches. Any idea how I can fix this annoying problem? Under each metric measurement Word gives ... See more
I am going insane and hoping that some of you bright people might be able to help! I run XP, Office 2003 and Trados 6.5 and I constantly run into problems when dealing with numbers/measurements in the Trados segments. Word keeps crashing. I have never seen this problem until I switched from Word 2000 to 2003. I have the latest updates/patches. Any idea how I can fix this annoying problem? Under each metric measurement Word gives a suggestion of how to convert it - and I would love to turn this "feature" off. I suspect that this may be part of the problem. But I haven't figured out how to turn it off.
Thanks so much in advance.
Bodil
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
España
Miembro
inglés al francés
You can go there Aug 15, 2006

http://www.proz.com/topic/53118
and have a look at my reply to turn off smart tags. Other solutions suggested there may also be of use to solve your problem.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

[Edited at 2006-08-15 12:46]

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
Estados Unidos
Local time: 22:50
inglés al español
+ ...
Word 2003 -- Not a good upgrade Aug 15, 2006

Bodil Little wrote:

I am going insane and hoping that some of you bright people might be able to help! I run XP, Office 2003 and Trados 6.5 and I constantly run into problems when dealing with numbers/measurements in the Trados segments.............

I found word 2003 it is just bloated and as usual Microsoft bugs creeping into this version.

I also find word 2000 more robust than ANY other version after it (XP, 2003).

Perhaps it has to do with the spell checker not knowing how to handle the number formats and also, trados and word 2003 do not get a long very well.

I would select the entire document and in the tools/language menu select the target language.

If you wish, select the box that reads “Do not check spelling or grammar” and also make sure the box that reads “Detect language automatically” is NOT selected.

In your options (tools menu / options), select the spelling and grammar tab, and the select Ignore words with numbers” and also any other things that may be bothering you (you can enable or disable the options)

To keep things metric and avoid the suggestions, the above (ignore number should do) but in addition you can set the document to the metric system.
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
In the Measurement units box, click the option you want.
Let me know.
Arturo P. --- mrr2ro

Bodil Little
Dinamarca
inglés al danés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Smart tags off helped! Aug 15, 2006

Hi Philippe,

It actually worked! You don't know how happy that makes me. Such a simple fix - and yet I have spent hours on it.
Thanks a bunch.
Bodil

Philippe Etienne wrote:

http://www.proz.com/topic/53118
and have a look at my reply to turn off smart tags. Other solutions suggested there may also be of use to solve your problem.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

[Edited at 2006-08-15 12:46]

Bodil Little
Dinamarca
inglés al danés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Word 2003: Suggestions to the solution of problems Aug 18, 2006

Also thank you very much for your reply. Sounds like some good suggestions, but luckily I solved my problem by turning off smart tags.
Thanks again and have a nice day.
Bodil

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2003. Word crashing when dealing with measurements

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »