radruz
radruz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2009

Hi everybody:

I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have downloaded OmegaT and I am trying to do a translation of a software application. The source text is a *.txt file that can be open with OmegaT, no problems until here.
I would like to be able to do two things:

1) filter part of the code in order to get/see only the text I need to translate. I give you an example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
... See more
Hi everybody:

I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have downloaded OmegaT and I am trying to do a translation of a software application. The source text is a *.txt file that can be open with OmegaT, no problems until here.
I would like to be able to do two things:

1) filter part of the code in order to get/see only the text I need to translate. I give you an example:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$saLang['texts']['header_profile'] = "Profil";
$saLang['texts']['header_friends'] = "Freunde";
$saLang['texts']['header_settings'] = "Einstellungen";

What I would like to get ist only the text after the “=”, is there any possibility of making that happen? I don't know if am asking too much, but just in case prefere to give it a try.

2) modify the segments so that I get one word or sentence at a time, for example:

but with the changes I would like to implement in my first question, which would look like that:

“Profil”

Is that possible?? hopefully somebody out there faced the same problems and could solve them.

Thanks a lot

Rafael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Are you... Sep 15, 2009

radruz wrote:

Read up in the OmegaT User Manal about how to add segmentation rules. Add the following two "*.txt" rules:

break: yes
before: [a-z]'\\]\\s+=\\s+\\"
after: .

before: .
after: \\";

This will result in Profil, Freunde and Einstellungen being on separate lines, but unfortunately you'll still see the rest of the file, and OmegaT will offer them for translation (just press Ctrl+U to skip past them). It means you have to press Ctrl+U two or three times after each translation.

[Edited at 2009-09-15 12:24 GMT]

radruz
radruz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Sep 15, 2009

Hi Samuel,

thanks a lot for your answer, I tried what you told me the result is the following:

Hobbies";
$saLang['tags']['occupation'] = "

Beruf";
$saLang['tags']['likes'] = "

Ich finde gut";
$saLang['tags']['dislikes'] = "

The space between the "=" and the code has changed, I am not supossed to modify that.

Any way thanks a lot for your help

Kind
... See more
Hi Samuel,

thanks a lot for your answer, I tried what you told me the result is the following:

Hobbies";

Beruf";

Ich finde gut";
$saLang['tags']['dislikes'] = "

The space between the "=" and the code has changed, I am not supossed to modify that.

Any way thanks a lot for your help

Kind regards

Rafael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My guess... Sep 15, 2009

radruz wrote:
Hobbies";

Beruf";

Well, it works for me. My guess is that the file you're trying to translate, uses different line endings than your system (or OmegaT does). Try it with either this:

after: \\";\\n

or this:

after: \\";\\r\\n

as the second rule. Also play around with Options > File Filters > Text Files > Options, if the above doesn't work.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Use the key=value filter Sep 15, 2009

radruz wrote:

What I would like to get ist only the text after the “=”, is there any possibility of making that happen? I don't know if am asking too much, but just in case prefere to give it a try.

2) modify the segments so that I get one word or sentence at a time, for example:

but with the changes I would like to implement in my first question, which would look like that:

“Profil”

Is that possible?? hopefully somebody out there faced the same problems and could solve them.

The Key=Value Text Files filter is designed to do that.
To use it, simply rename your file to your_file_name.ini

OmegaT will then present you the following segments:
"Profil";

"Freunde";

"Einstellungen";

Didier

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If I use the key=value filter... Sep 15, 2009

Didier Briel wrote:
The Key=Value Text Files filter is designed to do that.
To use it, simply rename your file to your_file_name.ini

That is also an option, yes. But I find it annoying to have to type quotes and a semi-colon manually in every segment. And the key=value filter replaces all white space between the equal sign and the first quotation mark with a single space (which might not be an issue for you).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: .TXT, .Strings segmentation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »