Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is your experience with proofreaders (in general)?
Thread poster: eng_to_cz
macimovic
macimovic
Netherlands
Local time: 16:03
English to Serbian
+ ...
So so Oct 23, 2013

My experience has been "so so" so far. The worst experience I have ever had was when my translation in Serbian was proofread by a native Croat. Or, when a proofreader for Serbian language just changed the order of the words in sentences which didn't change any meaning and marked them as "mistranslation".

That is how I didn't get hired two times thanks to the fellow proofreaders...

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Also Nov 23, 2013

The quality of translation work is declining these days. So is the quality of writing, as well as the quality of thinking. It's certainly possible to find Masters of Arts in linguistics who can't stay on top of their grammar or spelling or write well, as well as M.A. holders in translation studies who can't write much better in the language of their focus than a secondary school student should.

It's hard to find a good proofreader or editor, though one is certainly worth his weight
... See more
The quality of translation work is declining these days. So is the quality of writing, as well as the quality of thinking. It's certainly possible to find Masters of Arts in linguistics who can't stay on top of their grammar or spelling or write well, as well as M.A. holders in translation studies who can't write much better in the language of their focus than a secondary school student should.

It's hard to find a good proofreader or editor, though one is certainly worth his weight in gold.

But too often it's a joke. It's especially not cool when as neither a philologist nor a native speaker you need to teach grammar or syntax or punctuation to someone who was born with the language and graduated in it.

I certainly appreciate a second pair of eyes, but I'm also severely disenchanted with the current state of QA.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More convinced than ever Nov 23, 2013

Reading through some of the posts here, especially those posted by proofreaders or ex-proofreaders, self-justifying themselves and their presumptuous sense of entitlement to make decisions about what's right and what's wrong, I'm more than ever convinced that proofreaders are a detestable subspecies of the human race.

However, there may be a role for proofreaders to service low-level, bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapo age
... See more
Reading through some of the posts here, especially those posted by proofreaders or ex-proofreaders, self-justifying themselves and their presumptuous sense of entitlement to make decisions about what's right and what's wrong, I'm more than ever convinced that proofreaders are a detestable subspecies of the human race.

However, there may be a role for proofreaders to service low-level, bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapo agencies who hire "translators" who can't even get elementary grammar and spelling right, and whose translations need fundamental corrections of an elementary-school type, particularly in these times of what's been called "the return to illiteracy"; but not the rest of us (tried and tested translators with years, indeed decades of experience) for whom it's a matter of one person's sense of style against another's.

Proofread and correct my translations? Why - I'm old enough to be your English teacher !

[Edited at 2013-11-23 20:33 GMT]
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:03
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Nov 23, 2013

Tom in London wrote:
However, there may be a role for proofreaders to service low-level, bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapo agencies who hire "translators" who can't even get elementary grammar and spelling right, and whose translations need fundamental corrections of an elementary-school type, particularly in these times of what's been called "the return to illiteracy";

Care to guess what the bulk of the market consists of (or will soon become)?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Ignoring seniority in proofreading... lol yeah Nov 23, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Proofread and correct my translations? Why - I'm old enough to be your English teacher !

[Edited at 2013-11-23 20:33 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In general Nov 24, 2013

My experience with proofreaders I dealt with in real life is fantastic, while those ghost proofreaders online that you can't see, plus don't even know their identity - well those experiences were quite bad.

I've learnt a lot from the input and guidance of more experienced proofreaders - in real life setting strictly - those people had a name and a lot of background to prove their qualities.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
French proofreading or French Canadian proofreading !!!!!!!!!! Nov 24, 2013

I suspect a lot of agencies in USA don't know there is a big difference beetween Canadian French and French French!

as a result, in these contexts, they have the French-french proofred by Canadian-french proofreaders; this is terrible!

Of course, this (or the other way around) is not relevant!

In some cases, these agencies sent me a text half translated into Canadian French for me to finish translating into French-French.

I am afraid the end-cu
... See more
I suspect a lot of agencies in USA don't know there is a big difference beetween Canadian French and French French!

as a result, in these contexts, they have the French-french proofred by Canadian-french proofreaders; this is terrible!

Of course, this (or the other way around) is not relevant!

In some cases, these agencies sent me a text half translated into Canadian French for me to finish translating into French-French.

I am afraid the end-customer won't be very happy. This happened to me twice with different agencies.

Madeleine

[Edited at 2013-11-24 10:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-24 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 10:03
Member (2003)
French to English
It depends Nov 24, 2013

Yes, it does seem like some proofreaders - or editors/reviewers - take it a bit too far, and some even make "corrections" erroneously. It is generally the agency's fault, though, for instance once an agency had my translation, which was specified for U.S. English, edited by someone who obviously made "corrections" as if it were for UK English. Uh, big difference then, but again that was the agency's fault. (I also see Madeleine's similar post about European French versus Canadian French - the... See more
Yes, it does seem like some proofreaders - or editors/reviewers - take it a bit too far, and some even make "corrections" erroneously. It is generally the agency's fault, though, for instance once an agency had my translation, which was specified for U.S. English, edited by someone who obviously made "corrections" as if it were for UK English. Uh, big difference then, but again that was the agency's fault. (I also see Madeleine's similar post about European French versus Canadian French - there is a difference.) Also, there was one other situation where the editor actually "corrected" my terms to terms obviously spelled incorrectly, such that the misspellings even showed up in Word - I mean, seriously? I pointed out to the agency that it was laughable for the editor to have even submitted such a document back to them, and that I hoped that they had not yet sent the final product to the client!Collapse

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Feedback Nov 24, 2013

One of my favourite clients always has my translations proofread and then sent back to me for the final approval. I really appreciate this arrangement, because this way the editorial remarks appear to be rather suggestions than corrections, and I feel totally in control.

[Edited at 2013-11-24 21:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your experience with proofreaders (in general)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »