Téma indítója: sabrino
sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 16:43
francia - japán
+ ...
Dec 17, 2013

Proofreaders work per hour rate usually.
In a recent project, the proofreader did the following:
1. inflated the corrections by deleting entire sentences for just one or two term changes
2. Even term changes were conducted by preference
3. Meticulous changes by preferential expression, as the Japanese language is a tribal language and allows much room for subjective formulation of sentences, a proofreader could change in arbitrary manner.
4. This exotic language is
... See more
Proofreaders work per hour rate usually.
In a recent project, the proofreader did the following:
1. inflated the corrections by deleting entire sentences for just one or two term changes
2. Even term changes were conducted by preference
3. Meticulous changes by preferential expression, as the Japanese language is a tribal language and allows much room for subjective formulation of sentences, a proofreader could change in arbitrary manner.
4. This exotic language is not so well-known among non-native speakers, a proofreader capitalizes on the fact that many translation agencies do not speak Japanese and are prone to believe what proofreaders comment.
5. Overall, Japanese proofreaders read the target language only when they can't understand the source language (such as German or French), then spend much time (---> this is their intention for hourly rate job) on giving an impression that a serious industrious work was conducted by inflating changes to make it look like a large amount of corrections and to justify a comment such as "more time was spent than usual because the translation is poor", while the proofreader can't understand complicated structures or specialized subjects.

When I do proofreading, I respect translator's judgement as far as possible and save my (and client's) time with minimum necessary corrections such as typographic mstake, forgotten punctuations, unnecessary half-space breaks; but the proofreader with malintention spends lot of time by changing anywhere possible with meticulous, illegitimate changes to increase spent hours.

Unliess some transaltors commited a fraud of using machine translation such as gabbling google outputs, there is not so much left for proofreading in this exotic language.

I advised the translation agency for the suspected fraud by inflated checking by proofreader and they saved money, hopefully.
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 23:43
japán - angol
+ ...
Charging by the hour vs. charging by the word Dec 18, 2013

sabrino wrote:

When I do proofreading, I respect translator's judgement as far as possible and save my (and client's) time with minimum necessary corrections such as typographic mstake, forgotten punctuations, unnecessary half-space breaks; but the proofreader with malintention spends lot of time by changing anywhere possible with meticulous, illegitimate changes to increase spent hours.

This pretty much sums up my understanding of what monolingual proofreading is supposed to be - although I believe that you could basically apply it to proofreading in any language, not just Japanese.

All of the proofreading I have done up to now has been paid by the target word count, though, and not by the hour. This may not be the industry standard, but I like it - because if the translation is really well done then it only takes me a small amount of time to run through it the first time. If I was getting paid by the hour, I would hardly make any money (unless I charged an hourly minimum, but even then it would almost not be worth it).

This only works because I categorically turn down any jobs involving the proofreading of work by unskilled translators as well as anything that even remotely looks like MT.

When you are getting paid by the word, it makes more sense from all perspectives to only change things that are grammatically or syntactically wrong. Word choice is not typically something I think about (unless the meaning of the sentence is ambiguous or unknowable), since I am often proofreading work translated into English from Arabic or other languages which I don't speak. Often, I don't even have a copy of the source text.

The problem is that much monolingual "proofreading" jobs nowadays are actually attempts to con someone into turning MT garbage into a readable text. It goes without saying that the worse a translation (or any document for that matter) is, the less desirable it is to charge for proofreading by the word rather than by the hour. But if one refuses these types of jobs, then I don't really see the advantage to charging by the hour at all.

sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 16:43
francia - japán
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
To tell professional or good proofreaders in Jp from amateur cheaters Feb 12, 2014

1. Good ones seriously work on reading the nature of the text and can choose professional good terms by correcting raw translation's wording.
They do not touch on any corrrect parts.

2. Unprofessional or cheater proofreaders in Japanese, such as get-away-with-money -students' -- not every one, but typically students in Japan leading a leisure land life in their moratorium status tend to just get away with money without any professional commitment --, try to make his work loo
... See more
1. Good ones seriously work on reading the nature of the text and can choose professional good terms by correcting raw translation's wording.
They do not touch on any corrrect parts.

2. Unprofessional or cheater proofreaders in Japanese, such as get-away-with-money -students' -- not every one, but typically students in Japan leading a leisure land life in their moratorium status tend to just get away with money without any professional commitment --, try to make his work look serious and well-done by changing unnecessary changes by overwriting all over correct translations by re-phrasing or re-wording with similar terms. For testing, accept all changes once and you find the changes were only tautological o arbitrarily preferential by proofreader's personal preference or hostile intention to make the translation look worse than ever.

Meticulous enthusiastic changes are first suspecious, smack of make-believe gaming by cheaters who pose as proofreaders.

Today I had such occasion as this: one editor does serious good work by choosing industry-standard words, while other editor was simply re-phrasing or re-wording in many places to make it look like his hard work.
I recommended to take up the first pr, and to drop the second editor for any future use.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch out: proofreaders in Japanese

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »