What should a certificate to be provided with a proofread document contain?
Thread poster: Rilla
Rilla
Rilla
South Africa
Local time: 05:15
French to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2014

Hi everyone,
I am asked to provide a certificate to go with the proofread document.
I am not sure what is expected to appear on such certificate... Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No idea Sep 27, 2014

I've just noticed this thread, Rilla.

All I can say is that I do more proofreading (monolingual) than I do translating nowadays, and nobody has ever asked me for any sort of certificate.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:15
German to English
+ ...
No idea too Sep 27, 2014

Same here. I do a lot of proofreading and editing and nobody has ever asked for "certificates". Maybe the client needs a sworn translator and wants to see some kind of proof? The worst version is that he simply does not want to pay and seeks excuses:grin:

[Edited at 2014-09-27 12:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-27 12:53 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Never heard this before but... Sep 27, 2014

... some clients do a translation of their own (being a translator, an agency or not) and need a sworn translator to add the legal stamp: this means that -hopefully- the sworn translator reviews the translation before giving their word. But the client should have said this before assigning the job, in the general conditions, IMHO.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
They presumably mean certification Sep 27, 2014

On your letterheading, say something like "I, Rilla XYZ, am a freelance translator. I have translated/proofread [not sure which you have done] the attached document/translation, and to the best of my knowledge this is a correct translation." Then sign and date it.

Rilla
Rilla
South Africa
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Thanks all! Oct 7, 2014

Thank you all for your wonderful helpful insights!
It turns out that philgoddard's suggestion was exactly what the client needed! Phew!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should a certificate to be provided with a proofread document contain?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »