Announcing some improvements to the "send file" feature
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:58
SITE STAFF
Apr 17, 2008

Hi everyone,

A few changes to the "send file" feature have been released, and the developers are interested in hearing any feedback that you might have.

Files can be sent via the "send file" link in users' profile pages, as well from other places throughout the site. Recent changes include:

* File management page with support for uploading files.
* Added support for sending a file to
... See more
Hi everyone,

A few changes to the "send file" feature have been released, and the developers are interested in hearing any feedback that you might have.

Files can be sent via the "send file" link in users' profile pages, as well from other places throughout the site. Recent changes include:

* Added support for sending a file to more than one user at the same time in the ProZ.com Connect directory (use the button).
* Added support for specifying the type of file (e.g. a work file, reference file, or other type of file.)

Please post any questions or comments about these features in this thread. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Can't find it Apr 17, 2008

I'm afraid I can't find this on my profile page, and do not really understand what this means anyway. This for sending what to whom? Why this way, as opposed to ordinary e-mail attachments?

Thanks,
Susan

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great feature Apr 17, 2008

Hi Jason,

Just a couple of questions:

1. Which is the maximum size that can be uploaded?
2. Can I upload a file and send the link to a non Proz.com user without sending my user ID and password? How?

Thanks for improving the site
Marina

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
English to Italian
+ ...
More files Apr 18, 2008

Hello Jason

would it be possible to send more than one file per time to the same recipient?
I mean, what about adding an 'Attach another file' option?
Otherwise, it seems one has to close and re-open the window several times to send more than one file to the same person.

Thx

Antonella

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
We'll look into the problem Apr 18, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
I'm afraid I can't find this on my profile page, and do not really understand what this means anyway. This for sending what to whom? Why this way, as opposed to ordinary e-mail attachments?

Hi Susan,

We'll look into the problem you're having seeing the file send feature.

One difference in using this feature from sending an email attachment is that it allows you to be notified when the recipient has downloaded your file.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
5MB file size limit; will look into sending to non-ProZ.com users Apr 18, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:
1. Which is the maximum size that can be uploaded?
2. Can I upload a file and send the link to a non Proz.com user without sending my user ID and password? How?

Hi Marina,

1. The current file size limit is 5MB (but we can increase this if there is a need to do so). We'll add a note about this to the file upload form.
2. It's not currently possible to send files to non-ProZ.com users, but we'll look into providing this feature in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Will add support for sending multiple files in the future Apr 18, 2008

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:
would it be possible to send more than one file per time to the same recipient?
I mean, what about adding an 'Attach another file' option?
Otherwise, it seems one has to close and re-open the window several times to send more than one file to the same person.

Hi Antonella,

You're not alone in requesting this feature. We will work on providing support for sending multiple files at the same time. Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

Jason

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Upload+storing+download Apr 19, 2008

Dear Jason,

The "send File" would be especially useful for very large files (and directories) that are not accepted by mailboxes as email attachments.

Suggestions:
Large files or directories (e.g., up to 100 MB) could be uploaded to a Proz server and stored there for a limited time (e.g., 7 days), with Email notification sent to the adressee(s) indicating the location for downloading it.
To save server disk space (and sender's time), automatic zipping could
... See more
Dear Jason,

The "send File" would be especially useful for very large files (and directories) that are not accepted by mailboxes as email attachments.

Suggestions:
Large files or directories (e.g., up to 100 MB) could be uploaded to a Proz server and stored there for a limited time (e.g., 7 days), with Email notification sent to the adressee(s) indicating the location for downloading it.
To save server disk space (and sender's time), automatic zipping could be implemented.
A password system for downloading would also be a nice feature.

Yes to multiple files and non-prozian recipients.

Congratulations for your fine work!

Pablo Grosschmid
Collapse

Bàrbara Sanchez Solanilla
Bàrbara Sanchez Solanilla  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Brilliant! Apr 23, 2008

This feature is just great! Congratulations!

José Andrés Rubio
José Andrés Rubio  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
English to Spanish
Excellent! Highly appreciated. Keep up the good work! Jun 5, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi everyone,

* Added support for sending a file to more than one user at the same time in the ProZ.com Connect directory (use the button).
* Added support for specifying the type of file (e.g. a work file, reference file, or other type of file.)

Please post any questions or comments about these features in this thread. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jason

Karl Marx
Karl Marx  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, a good and quickly working feature. Jun 15, 2008

Thanks, a good and quickly working feature.

[Edited at 2008-06-15 22:50]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Great feature Jason.. Jul 7, 2008

Hi! I have just now by coincidence registered that files I had sent to my customers and or collaborators are stored there. This facility is good in the event my system crashes, I can still retrieve all the necessary information. Whether I wish to upload my TMs is a different issue, but generally this is a useful facility I find. Brandis

Chamz
Chamz
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
Great feature Jul 10, 2008

Thank you Jason! But I was trying a few minutes ago to upload a file (JPG) and then send it to a colleague as reference for her KudoZ question but the system told me "Invalid file type".
Maybe is only possible for full member to upload files???

I would love it, if the feature would be available for everyone and for (almost) every type of files.

Thanks
Magda

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is not possible to upload glossaries, either! Jul 26, 2008

If you click on "My Proz.com" and then on "My files BETA", you get this uploading facility. On the left-hand side of the page you can - theoretically - upload glossaries, and, on the right-hand side of the page TMs.

Imagine my disappointment, then, when I tried to upload a Multiterm export (only 2.72 MB and 60 MB are supposed to be possible), only to be informed that ".xml" files are an invalid file type!

What is a "glossary" file, then, if not a Multiterm export file?<
... See more
If you click on "My Proz.com" and then on "My files BETA", you get this uploading facility. On the left-hand side of the page you can - theoretically - upload glossaries, and, on the right-hand side of the page TMs.

Imagine my disappointment, then, when I tried to upload a Multiterm export (only 2.72 MB and 60 MB are supposed to be possible), only to be informed that ".xml" files are an invalid file type!

What is a "glossary" file, then, if not a Multiterm export file?

Astrid
Collapse

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
Local time: 01:58
XML files Jul 28, 2008

Hello Astrid!

Thank you very much for letting us know about this, now i changed the system so you can upload that type of files.

Please let me know if i can help with this or any other issue that you are having, i will be very happy of helping you ...

Regards,

Ricardo

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing some improvements to the "send file" feature

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »