José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Should Proz get geared for it? Jun 23, 2008

I was approached by the Proz staff about presenting such an online course. My subject is irrelevant for this discussion here, but I could have a virtual class of, say, 10 trainees.

The cost of this course - which seems the major issue on this thread - would be immediately divided by 10, if I had full capacity. (In fact, I could handle 15, but let's keep calculations simple.)

But what did Proz have set up? Advertising & promotion, okay, that's most important, and means t
... See more
I was approached by the Proz staff about presenting such an online course. My subject is irrelevant for this discussion here, but I could have a virtual class of, say, 10 trainees.

The cost of this course - which seems the major issue on this thread - would be immediately divided by 10, if I had full capacity. (In fact, I could handle 15, but let's keep calculations simple.)

But what did Proz have set up? Advertising & promotion, okay, that's most important, and means to collect the money worldwide, and pay the piper too. But that's all, folks! As far as I know, the course is given individually via Skype or MSN.

Okay, I could make an interactive PDF downloadable for the enrolled people, and tell them to go to such a page whenever it's time for it. But there are many e-venues on the web that offer a more complete service, including:
1. Image - The instructor could switch between their face live on a webcam and pre-arranged "visuals".
2. A one-way chat, where the instructor would receive questions, to stop the program now and then to answer all the "accumulated" ones aloud to the whole group (and ticking them off so they'll vanish - no need for participants to see the questions asked).*
3. A voice channel of course.

* Just to illustrate, I could get questions in 5 languages, but would say them aloud and answer them in the 'official' course language. So people who understand this language - but don't write it well - could participate in the course too. On another token, this would allow the instructor to filter questions that are either irrelevant, or about matters that will be adequately dealt with later in the program.

My suggestion is that Proz could either develop such a system, or outsource it to some such e-venue.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
Swedish to English
+ ...
ProZ webinars Jun 23, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
My suggestion is that Proz could either develop such a system, or outsource it to some such e-venue.

How about ProZ coming to some kind of arrangement with gotomeeting.com? Currently on the homepage, there's a link to a Wordfast webinar using this technology and my company (where I'm employed daytime) has used it successfully for some month.

This would of course involve ProZ being charged by the supplier, but I'm sure ProZ could develop a realistic pricing plan for members/users. Let's face it, this is a "cheap" way of delivering training to "the masses". Particularly if you use pre-recorded content, rather than live webinars

The only problem I can see with the current Wordfast webinar, is that they use a phone link for audio to decrease the download size and the phone number is in the US. But with Skype the bill shouldn't be to prohibitive in ROW.

And JH, I'd be the first to sign up to any of your potential webinars - from your postings, you appear to have a lot of useful and relevant experience.

Madeleine

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your feedback Jun 23, 2008

Dear José,

We started providing online courses, with a great interest from trainers in our community and positive feedback from professionals participating in the sessions. Improvements are planned, but right now our first concern was getting the expertise out to the community.

Thanks all for your comments and the feedback in this thread.

Kind regards,

Soledad

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online courses promoted by Proz

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »