Are pop-ups in e-mail boxes dangerous?
Автор темы: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 15:51
английский => испанский
+ ...
Jun 24, 2009

I am using Windows XP Professional 5.1. When I open my paid e-mail box, there appears a warning that says: Pop-ups have been blocked. Do you want to see them?
I would like to know if these pop-ups may be dangerous. Thanks and regards, AT.

[Editado a las 2009-06-24 22:08 GMT]

[Editado a las 2009-06-24 22:08 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 19:51
русский => английский
+ ...
Памяти
When in doubt, throw it out Jun 24, 2009

They could possibly be, and if they aren't they're almost certainly advertising something you don't want, so I should just leave them blocked.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Local time: 20:51
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => африкаанс
+ ...
Which mail client? Jun 24, 2009

Argentine Translator wrote:
I am using Windows XP Professional 5.1. When I open my paid e-mail box, there appears a warning: pop-up elements have blocked.

Here's my guess: Some e-mails are written in HTML, and HTML can create pop-ups (usually quite harmless, but potentially annoying). So if your e-mail was in HTML and the HTML tried to create a pop-up, then your e-mail program just stopped it from creating the pop-up. Sometimes HTML writers use pop-ups for legitimate purposes and sometimes the pop-up is an essential part of a legitimate procedure. The mail program informs you of the blocking action in case you were expecting the pop-up.

pallavik
pallavik  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:51
английский => итальянский
+ ...
Rarely Jun 24, 2009

Pop-ups in my experience are rarely dangerous - in those cases more often than not they are just aimed at getting you, the operator to willingly perform operations that result in detrimental effects for your machine like download programs or give away secret informations about, say your bank account/credit cards. More frequently they can turn into nuisances which is the main reason why the vast majority of browsers, anti-viruses, anti-spyware nowadays offers as default the option of carpet block... See more
Pop-ups in my experience are rarely dangerous - in those cases more often than not they are just aimed at getting you, the operator to willingly perform operations that result in detrimental effects for your machine like download programs or give away secret informations about, say your bank account/credit cards. More frequently they can turn into nuisances which is the main reason why the vast majority of browsers, anti-viruses, anti-spyware nowadays offers as default the option of carpet blocking them. In rare occasions pop-ups are needed for the correct functioning of some web-sites - my Italian internet banking web-site requires them to be enabled but neither of my English ones does - and the operator needs to grant the website permission to open them.

[Edited at 2009-06-24 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

Local time: 15:51
английский => испанский
+ ...
Автор темы
If I do not unblock the pop-up, is the e-mail deleted? Jun 24, 2009

Thank you Samuel, Pallavik and Jack for your replies. If I do not unblock the pop-up, is the e-mail deleted?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are pop-ups in e-mail boxes dangerous?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »