Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2009

I would just like to warn you about another scam on the Net. Although not received through ProZ, I thought I'd like to warn you anyway. The name has been omitted just in case, and anyway it could vary. The sum of money has also been omitted, but is quite large. Grammatical and other errors in the text have been kept unchanged.

"My Name is xxx, the wife of xxx, Village coordinator for a political party, xxx. Who was recently killed in the Philippine by two gunmen on 10 November 2008
... See more
I would just like to warn you about another scam on the Net. Although not received through ProZ, I thought I'd like to warn you anyway. The name has been omitted just in case, and anyway it could vary. The sum of money has also been omitted, but is quite large. Grammatical and other errors in the text have been kept unchanged.

"My Name is xxx, the wife of xxx, Village coordinator for a political party, xxx. Who was recently killed in the Philippine by two gunmen on 10 November 2008 .
Well during the threat on my late husband life, he gave me the total sum of xxx million dollars for the up keeping/future of our children and asks me to put it in a metallic box and deposit it in a security and finance company in abroad just in case anything ever happen to him.
I did deposit the sum under a secret arrangement as a family treasure. This means that the security company does not know the content of this metallic box.
Since the death of my late husband, the Philippine government has blocked I and my late husband accounts through the helps of my late husband family. And Also my late husband brothers has succeeded in collecting from me all our landed assets that is under my control and they are still looking for more.

I am contacting you because I want you to help me in securing this sum I deposited in a security company for the future of my children before my late husband family sees the deposit document and start going for it. Since they have made it impossible for me to move out of my late husband house for now.

Please do tell me if i can trust you as who will not sit on this sum when you claim it. As am willing to give you 15% of the total sum after you have successfully secured the box, for your kind assistance to me."
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
The same old story Jul 15, 2009

In Uruguay we would say "más viejo que el agujero del mate" ("as old as the hills"). Anyway, thanks for warning us, Paul.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:09
Swedish to English
+ ...
There are a zillion versions of these scams flying about on the internet Jul 15, 2009

So why even bother warning about one of them?

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 17:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scams work... Jul 15, 2009

...because some people haven't heard about the latest version, and are gullible. I suspect that Prozians are less likely to fit the latter category, but we should always be grateful for warnings which are offered altruistically and in our own interests.

Noni

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:09
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Agree Jul 16, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

...because some people haven't heard about the latest version, and are gullible. I suspect that Prozians are less likely to fit the latter category, but we should always be grateful for warnings which are offered altruistically and in our own interests.

Noni

I agree to what Noni wrote, but I don't understand why people are so gullible to believe that an unknown person would invite you to give 15% of his/her assets or fortunes or whatever you might want to call them. And as Monica pointed out, it's the same old story; please help me withdraw my hidden cash and I will pay you XX percent from that amount. That part never changes whether it's Nigerian or Nicaraguan or whatever you might want to call them (No intention of defaming Nicaraguans).

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Scams also sent via Proz Jul 16, 2009

I received a tale-of-woe scam in a message via my Proz mail a couple of days ago. Just ignore and delete, because there is no stopping them it seems.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Right there Jul 16, 2009

writeaway wrote:

I received a tale-of-woe scam in a message via my Proz mail a couple of days ago. Just ignore and delete, because there is no stopping them it seems.

At some point, it seems that the more spams you delete, the more you still receive. And no, I don't open any of the suspect e-mails I receive. The only thing I feel forced to do is to forward false PayPal e-mails to PayPal.

The best spam I received as per now displayed a non-sensical title and sender (mixed letters without meaning). I happily deleted it.

[Edited at 2009-07-16 07:26 GMT]

Carla Guerreiro
Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Does this still surprise you? Jul 16, 2009

When I receive this kind of mail, its destination is simply the waste bin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »