Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:50
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2009

Automatic updates can sometimes cause problems (e.g. automatic Java update issue with MultiTerm), which is why some translators prefer to have this option switched off in the "Windows Security Center". But does this leave your computer open to other threats, e.g. viruses? Or would your anti-virus software deal with them?
I'm using Windows XP, and Norton Internet Security.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OFF Dec 11, 2009

Completely and totally off. Automatic updates are probably Microsoft's worst invention.

If your antivirus is good (I am not saying Norton is not good, but there are better products out there) and you are careful opening emails and files (i.e. have your email scanning enabled, do not visit suspicious websites, open attachments only from trusted sources), you will be safe enough.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Automatic updates: on or off? ALWAYS OFF Dec 11, 2009

Sp and Fr to En wrote:

Automatic updates can sometimes cause problems (e.g. automatic Java update issue with MultiTerm), which is why some translators prefer to have this option switched off in the "Windows Security Center". But does this leave your computer open to other threats, e.g. viruses? Or would your anti-virus software deal with them?
I'm using Windows XP, and Norton Internet Security.

I have MS-Updates always blocked. My experience is that when MS solves a problem, it creates other for or five. I only allow the installation of those updates I am interested in. Of course, I have a safety scheme formed by an AV (Avast Home Edition), a fire-wall (Seagate firewall), an antispamer (Spamfighter), a backup sytem (Cobian backup) and a computer maintenance system (IObit Advanced System Care). Most of these applications are free for personal use.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
automatic updates: on or off? Dec 11, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Completely and totally off. Automatic updates are probably Microsoft's worst invention.

I completely agree!

[Editado a las 2009-12-11 10:09 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
manually Dec 11, 2009

and only specific and required patches.

IMO the auto-update idea initially might have been for users benefit, but later was heavily exploited by zillions of malware pieces. For example, the infamous 'almost harmless' BITS service (a component of autoupdate) was KB-patched several times in vain for it still can be misused. Also such vague and inadequate explanations from MS can fool even clever minds...

So most admins and power users have it disabled and prefer using use
... See more
and only specific and required patches.

IMO the auto-update idea initially might have been for users benefit, but later was heavily exploited by zillions of malware pieces. For example, the infamous 'almost harmless' BITS service (a component of autoupdate) was KB-patched several times in vain for it still can be misused. Also such vague and inadequate explanations from MS can fool even clever minds...

So most admins and power users have it disabled and prefer using user-limited account (or SandBoxIE/ DropMyRights-like applications) for everyday use and run as admin only for corresponding tasks. AFAIK our admin downloads only required (to his judge) patches and installs them off-line...

As a trade-off, especially if you really want to have all updates installed automatically without messing with any IT-specifications then have autoupdate services *disabled* but temporary enable them after day 20 every month (or when issued).

Cheers
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ON Dec 11, 2009

DZiW wrote:

So most admins and power users have it disabled

I'd really love to see you back that up with anything apart from "I know one person who..."
Yes, sandboxes are all fine, but they are nowhere near enough. You don't really need to be logged in as admin to ruin a system with a virus. I honestly don't think there are many sane admins or power useres that switch off autoupdates. Trust me, MS doesn't send out those patches out of boredom or to take up space on your hard drive.

I have autoupdates set to dl automatically and install them manually.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Download but not install Dec 11, 2009

Sp and Fr to En wrote:
Automatic updates can sometimes cause problems (e.g. automatic Java update issue with MultiTerm), which is why some translators prefer to have this option switched off in the "Windows Security Center".

For Windows itself, I have updates set to download automatically but not install automatically. This way, I can review a list of downloaded updates to see which ones look fishy. I can then also do the updates in several rounds, even if a whole bunch of updates were downloaded together. This allows me to roll back incrementally if something doesn't work out.

For updates that look like large updates, I check out what is being said about it on web sites. For example, anything that looks like a service pack is treated with suspicion until I have researched it thoroughly.

As for the Java update, on my computer Java is not updated by the Windows update service, but by Java's own update service. Similarly, many other programs have their own update systems. If there is the option to notify me of an update, I select it, but I prefer not to have things update themselves without telling me.

A good firewall can come in handy to detect programs trying to update themselves without telling you. One can also use CCleaner or similar programs like Startup Lite (from the Malwarebytes people) to edit, disable or remove updater services that autorun when you start your computer.

The only program I allow to update itself without asking me, is my antivirus.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Antivirus Dec 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

The only program I allow to update itself without asking me, is my antivirus.

And that is it.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Mac always asks you... Dec 11, 2009

the better way to go, IMHO.

As for my PC, I will allow automatic MS updates.

[Edited at 2009-12-11 17:37 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
http://support.microsoft.com/search/ Dec 11, 2009

I'd really love to see you back that up with anything apart from "I know one person who..."

Don't worry FarkasAndras - I feel the same about your statement) How about one who has been using XP PRO since Nov 2003 (according to systeminfo) without re-installing and a couple dozens of friendly admins (mostly MCP, MCSA & MCSE) from different companies and ISPs?

but they are nowhere near enough

Funny, you say it as a pro admin or as a reluctant user?)

Trust me, MS doesn't send out those patches out of boredom or to take up space on your hard drive.

Are you sure that tons of garbage and left-overs, update backups, hidden registry and services manipulations, lots of 'almost' needed KBs that somehow 'change' the system etc will surely increase both security and stability?)) Why, I do appreciate your concern yet I've got my own private opinion backed-up by exp. I'm not against updating, but at the office (and at home) I have only the patches approved by *our* admin installed at his responsibility.
Neither faults, nor BSODs.

0) brain.exe, hands.dll, system configuration & administration
1) the more extra/unneeded services/apps running, the more vulnerable the system is and the less stable it tends to be.

2) preventive measures are *much* preferable and *much* cheaper than cure

3) Backup - backup - backup

[Edited at 2009-12-11 18:06 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I do miss Macintosh a lot Dec 11, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

the better way to go, IMHO.

As for my PC, I will allow automatic MS updates.

[Edited at 2009-12-11 17:37 GMT]

What I don't like with MS updates: Everything goes automatically, I am away from my PC for lunch/shower/nap and it will restart itself and I have lost precious links that I need for research.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Always auto-restarts at the worst time Dec 11, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

What I don't like with MS updates: Everything goes automatically, I am away from my PC for lunch/shower/nap and it will restart itself and I have lost precious links that I need for research.

Agree - Auto-restart is a definitely major annoyance with auto-updates! I could almost swear that Windows is programmed to find the most inconvenient possible time to do perform these.

[Edited at 2009-12-11 22:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

automatic updates: on or off?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »