ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:41
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2022

The following Wall Street Journal article says that Apple is trying to get rid of passwords entirely, and replacing them with unique passkeys that will prompt either Face ID or Touch ID.

... See more
The following Wall Street Journal article says that Apple is trying to get rid of passwords entirely, and replacing them with unique passkeys that will prompt either Face ID or Touch ID.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-wants-to-end-passwords-for-everything-heres-how-it-would-work-11654984942?st=vb03m659uul9jqc&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not on desktop Jun 13, 2022

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-wants-to-end-passwords-for-everything-heres-how-it-would-work-11654984942?st=vb03m659uul9jqc&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

That wouldn't work on desktop computers, especially if you don't have an iPhone. Another stupid and unnecessary decision from Apple. How am I going to set my desktop Mac to start up automatically each morning, and log me in automatically? How am I going to let someone else log in (as I occasionally do) when I'm not there - someone who doesn't have a smartphone and who really, really, needs to access my computer, urgently? How am I going to log in when I'm on a plane on a long flight? Is there anyone left at Apple who has a brain?

[Edited at 2022-06-13 06:57 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hooray! Jun 13, 2022

Finally!

I imagine Tom's issues would be solved by entering a passcode as you do on an iphone today when your face or thumb is unavailable.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:41
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Annoying. Jun 13, 2022

They are annoying with their endless passwords requests and have cumbersome processes in case you forgot your pass ID. I would like for that to happen.

Wolfgang Schoene
Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:41
French to English
. Jun 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

How am I going to let someone else log in (as I occasionally do) when I'm not there - someone who doesn't have a smartphone and who really, really, needs to access my computer, urgently?

I don't know about Apple products, but on my laptop I have two sessions: a password-protected one for me, with my work and all my admin documents and whatever, and a "guest" session for anyone else, that they can use without a password.
I don't think anyone has ever needed access to my session. I suppose the day I die someone might need to.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Will Jun 13, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

I suppose the day I die someone might need to.

Time to think about making a will...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I'm surprised... Jun 13, 2022

nobody has mentioned Big Brother (not the TV show ) yet...

Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Flying Jun 13, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Finally!

I imagine Tom's issues would be solved by entering a passcode as you do on an iphone today when your face or thumb is unavailable.

A passcode that you have to be able to receive on a long-distance flight? I don't think so.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 11:55 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Without wings Jun 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Finally!

A passcode that you have to be able to receive on a long-distance flight? I don't think so.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 11:55 GMT]

The same four-digit passcode I enter every time I open my phone with cold hands, like a PIN. Not an irritating one-off texted job like from the Revenue.

I really don't think Apple are that stupid anyway. I love fingerprint technology - ApplePay etc.

It'll also make it easier to start up our DeepL accounts so we won't need to work anyway. If indeed we have any in the future.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 15:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apple Wants to End Passwords for Everything

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »