John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:16
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I've been using a Mac since around 2018, and I have never been happier.

I also have a year subscription of Microsoft Office 365 and one of the features is Microsoft Defender at no extra cost.

The question is for my colleagues who use Mac. Would it hurt to use Microsoft Defender on my Mac or is it just a waste of space.

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I also have a year subscription of Microsoft Office 365 and one of the features is Microsoft Defender at no extra cost.

The question is for my colleagues who use Mac. Would it hurt to use Microsoft Defender on my Mac or is it just a waste of space.

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am still undecided.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2022/07/02/microsoft-defender-for-mac-is-this-some-kind-of-joke/?sh=4ba8c3bc1b5f
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Defender Feb 27, 2023

John Colangelo wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am still undecided.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2022/07/02/microsoft-defender-for-mac-is-this-some-kind-of-joke/?sh=4ba8c3bc1b5f

Working on a Mac, too, since 1984
My system: iMac 27" 2019, Monterey, Parallels, Windows 11, and, yes, I uninstalled Kaspersky IS and installed Microsoft Defender for Windows, and on the Mac side I use Avira. Everything works fine, so far.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:16
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Feb 27, 2023

The Mac operating system is like a fortress. Nothing can get in that doesn't pass a series of checks that are built into the system (which is constantly checked and is periodically updated).

I have been using Macs since 1995 and I have never had a virus. You don't need Microsoft to "defend" you. Microsoft Defender will just slow down the way your computer works. It may even be harmful.

Of course, ultimately it depends on you and whoever else has access to your Mac. Nob
... See more
The Mac operating system is like a fortress. Nothing can get in that doesn't pass a series of checks that are built into the system (which is constantly checked and is periodically updated).

I have been using Macs since 1995 and I have never had a virus. You don't need Microsoft to "defend" you. Microsoft Defender will just slow down the way your computer works. It may even be harmful.

Of course, ultimately it depends on you and whoever else has access to your Mac. Nobody can defend you from *yourself*

Here are a few quotes from Reddit:

Screenshot

[Edited at 2023-02-27 08:27 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
In times of war ... Feb 27, 2023

... it is good to be armed.

For what it's worth, I use this one:

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 09.49.19

Nothing is bulletproof. Prudence and reason are required.

Wolfgang Schoene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Mac Need Microsoft Defender?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »