Jeff Clingenpeel
Jeff Clingenpeel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
Member (2009)
German to English
Sep 5, 2006

Hi everyone,

I've been offered an interpreting assignment that I'm beginning to suspect may be a scam. The 'client' has offered only his name (suspiciously "john nash") and no details of his business (no address, phone number etc.) and no details regarding his client (even when I requested specifics). There were enough other details, however, to lend it a feel of legitimacy (dates, schedule, primary subject matter).

Does anyone know of a scam involving someone going by
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've been offered an interpreting assignment that I'm beginning to suspect may be a scam. The 'client' has offered only his name (suspiciously "john nash") and no details of his business (no address, phone number etc.) and no details regarding his client (even when I requested specifics). There were enough other details, however, to lend it a feel of legitimacy (dates, schedule, primary subject matter).

Does anyone know of a scam involving someone going by the name of "John Nash"?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have,
Jeff
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:40
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
wait to see how he will pay you Sep 5, 2006

If he says that he will send the payment in advance and sends you a check, it may be a scam - since that's a known method, i.e. sending a fraudulent check and then requesting partial refund of the money for this reason or the other.

There's mention of a scam in which the name "John Nash
... See more
If he says that he will send the payment in advance and sends you a check, it may be a scam - since that's a known method, i.e. sending a fraudulent check and then requesting partial refund of the money for this reason or the other.

There's mention of a scam in which the name "John Nash" is used in the following link:

http://www.419legal.org/viewtopic.php?p=484&sid=34b5ad93c6febc7a33f84e1abcda6105

But they can use any name. Just as spammers can use any e-mail address (to send from). For the last two days I have been receiving spam from my own e-mail address!

By the way, the website www.419legal.org is interesting as a whole.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-09-05 22:02]
Collapse

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
I actually got a check Sep 7, 2006

for some interpreting work that was promised to me.

I called the bank that had "issued" the check, but they seemed to be bored and not very interested in receiving yet another report of their accounts being hyjacked.

Anyway, just before the interpreting was to have taken place, I received a note that, horors, the people who needed interpreting had died in a horrible car crash. Somewhere, I don't remember exactly where, and no, I didn't check whether there actually had b
... See more
for some interpreting work that was promised to me.

I called the bank that had "issued" the check, but they seemed to be bored and not very interested in receiving yet another report of their accounts being hyjacked.

Anyway, just before the interpreting was to have taken place, I received a note that, horors, the people who needed interpreting had died in a horrible car crash. Somewhere, I don't remember exactly where, and no, I didn't check whether there actually had been a car wreck.

I was instructed to send the money back, minus 10 percent ("for my trouble"), using not a check, but Western Union, so they would be sure to receive their money.

I wrote back that luckily I hadn't deposited the check and would they want it back? No reply yet, and it's been a month or so.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

potential scam (john nash)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »