Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:48
English to German
+ ...
Jun 8, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am dealing with Trados 6.5.2.417 under Win XP.

My word document contains several references to other document sections. After cleaning the document (under Workbench at Tools, Cleaning), the path to these section headings is shown in full detail instead of the referring number.

To illustrate:
NORMAL: "see Chapter 1.2.3"
AFTER CLEANING: "see Overall structure of Polyethylenes" [and: the corresponding style information like bo
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am dealing with Trados 6.5.2.417 under Win XP.

My word document contains several references to other document sections. After cleaning the document (under Workbench at Tools, Cleaning), the path to these section headings is shown in full detail instead of the referring number.

To illustrate:
NORMAL: "see Chapter 1.2.3"
AFTER CLEANING: "see Overall structure of Polyethylenes" [and: the corresponding style information like bold, bigger font etc.]

The entire word document is despoiled. Am I doing something wrong when translating the doc and taking a blind eye to the references? I am simply leaving them the way they are. Every new segment is copied into the target segment. This way the whole definition for the reference is preserved.

Carsten
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not clean in Workbench Jun 8, 2004

use the Word macro tw4winClean.Main (ALT + F8, select and click "Ausführen"). This will not damage the structure of the document.
Be aware, that all changes, made in translated segments without opening them (that means modifiying of your document without Trados) will NOT be saved in your TM, as it is NOT updated by this method. Bear in mind too, that you have to clean footers and headers manually for each section in the same way.
Nevertheless, this method is much faster and does not
... See more
use the Word macro tw4winClean.Main (ALT + F8, select and click "Ausführen"). This will not damage the structure of the document.
Be aware, that all changes, made in translated segments without opening them (that means modifiying of your document without Trados) will NOT be saved in your TM, as it is NOT updated by this method. Bear in mind too, that you have to clean footers and headers manually for each section in the same way.
Nevertheless, this method is much faster and does not spoil anything (almost) in your document.

The reason for what happens ist the conversion from doc to rtf, which is very sensitive for linked objects.

HTH
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bookmark Handler macro? Jun 8, 2004

Hi Carsten,
Cross-references in Word may create problems as Word uses 'hidden bookmarks', which cannot be handled like tags, for example. Trados provides a BookmarkHandler macro that turns cross-references into tags. You should find the macro in your Trados Templates folder.

The macro creates a new file starting with "prep..." where hidden bookmarks are changed into tags. Translate as usual, then use BookmarkHandler after cleanup.

HTH, Ralf

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comment on both solutions Jun 8, 2004

You should find the macro in your Trados Templates folder.

Aha, Ralf! Where exactly is this folder?

use the Word macro tw4winClean.Main (ALT + F8, select and click \"Ausführen\"). This will not damage the structure of the document.

I see, Jerzy. I do know this feature for emergency cleanup, if the tool in workbench is not accessible.

I will give it a try and keep you updated on the results.

Thanks, Carsten

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TRADOS program directory tree Jun 8, 2004

Hi again,
[quote]Carsten Behrend wrote:

You should find the macro in your Trados Templates folder.

Aha, Ralf! Where exactly is this folder?

[quote]
That depends where you installed Trados, and which version you're using (Freelance or LSP). Assuming you use the Freelance version on a German Windows system, the default path would be
c: Programme TRADOS T65FL TT Templates (can't show the backslashes here...).

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-08 08:47]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Folder / solution Jun 8, 2004

The folder in question is
c:\\programme\trados\\t65_fl\\tt\templates

And regarding the cleanup solution: this is NOT an emergency solution. Give it a try, you will see, that it works better and helps to keep the Word formatting as it is. As many people format Word as they like, ie definde hundreds of styles in order to format the text manually. So you will often see text paragraphs formated as header or footer or something else. Check the style and compare it with the text - v
... See more
The folder in question is
c:\\programme\trados\\t65_fl\\tt\templates

And regarding the cleanup solution: this is NOT an emergency solution. Give it a try, you will see, that it works better and helps to keep the Word formatting as it is. As many people format Word as they like, ie definde hundreds of styles in order to format the text manually. So you will often see text paragraphs formated as header or footer or something else. Check the style and compare it with the text - very often they mismatch. And when cleaning in Workbench Trados tries to restore the formating according to the template...

Regards
Jerezy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Give it a try, Ralf Jun 8, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
That depends where you installed Trados, and which version you're using (Freelance or LSP). Assuming you use the Freelance version on a German Windows system, the default path would be
c: Programme TRADOS T65FL TT Templates (can't show the backslashes here...).

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-08 08:47]

Well, if you put only one backslash at place, this will not be displayed, but if you make it double: \\ voila...

Cheers
Jerzy

Carsten Behrend
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macro solution out of the race Jun 8, 2004

Dear Jerzy and Ralf,

I discovered the path in my computer but didn\'t yet try the template solution.

However, I cleaned my doc with the clean.main macro - to no avail. Some cross-references were left the way they were, others were disabled and garbled the way described above.

This will leave me with the template solution. I will keep you posted.

Carsten

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with References when uncleaning

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »