Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
Activating OmniPage 15 Jan 28, 2007

[quote]Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Also, to people who say they had no problems with activation of OmniPage - which version are you using? I doubt it is version 15, as everybody is having trouble activating version 15, but the activation process is fairly new, so if you have version 13 or older, you never had to go through the trouble of activation.

I have OmniPage 15, and I don't recall having any problems with activation.

But this is not to deny that there might be problems, and you are of course quite right and fully entitled to raise such support issues here.

My only aim is to say that once you have crossed that hurdle, the OmniPage software is pretty good, and has enabled me to charge premium prices.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:51
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How did you get it to activate? Jan 28, 2007

Peter, I am really happy for you if your activation worked. There IS a person on the face of the Earth who did succeed in activating OmniPage! This sounds good, because with the number of bad comments very similar to mine on the internet, I started to think that pretty much nobody was able to use this software. Can you please tell me what you did to get it activated? I followed all instructions (several times, needless to say) including the ones sent by technical support. I got a new product key... See more
Peter, I am really happy for you if your activation worked. There IS a person on the face of the Earth who did succeed in activating OmniPage! This sounds good, because with the number of bad comments very similar to mine on the internet, I started to think that pretty much nobody was able to use this software. Can you please tell me what you did to get it activated? I followed all instructions (several times, needless to say) including the ones sent by technical support. I got a new product key. All this to no avail. And customer service keeps showing me attitude, like they couldn't care less.

I would really like to use this since it does seem to be very handy (I tried running OCR on a scanned text, with complicated tables and a variety of fonts, and the results WERE stunning). I want to ask for my money back because I am unable to use the software without activation, and they don't seem to be about to help me with that as it looks. I'd rather get rid of it and get my $100 back rather than keep it so I can never use it. Do you have any suggestions, Peter, on how to deal with Nuance?

Barnaby, I would be very surprised if Nuance contacted me regarding this thread - many other rather popular sites are plastered with this kind of complaint and they don't seem to bother. Judging from the comments I see online, it really looks like nobody is able to activate. The least I would expect from Nuance is to apologize and admit that their activation system is EXTREMELY bad - but they don't care to do even that much, let alone fix the problem. I would also like to be entitled to free tech support, at least for the activation process. I guess that's where their financial soundness comes from. Incidentally, I read somewhere that Nuance was teaming up with a bunch of other companies to find ways to help customers reach a real person as fast as possible to get their problems fixed as fast as possible. That made me laugh SOOO hard! They are about to start selling some kind of a system to do this, yet their own customer service makes you hold for a while on the phone, before telling you they can't (or will not?) help. Talk about cheeky!
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry, can't remember Jan 29, 2007

@ Viktoria
It was probably a year ago, and sorry to say I have no memory of what I did, or any problems.

At the risk of souinding smug, the fact that I had no problems suggests the activation procedure can work. That in turn suggests that there may be a simple but hard to discover blockage somewhere in your system.

Something similar happened to me yesterday, with a totally unrelated software package. I was trying to send in my annual tax return online, but kept
... See more
@ Viktoria
It was probably a year ago, and sorry to say I have no memory of what I did, or any problems.

At the risk of souinding smug, the fact that I had no problems suggests the activation procedure can work. That in turn suggests that there may be a simple but hard to discover blockage somewhere in your system.

Something similar happened to me yesterday, with a totally unrelated software package. I was trying to send in my annual tax return online, but kept getting error messages. The problem turned out to be my new firewall, which by default did not permit network connections from that package. A temporary change solved the problem.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A year ago, they didn't have this activation system Jan 29, 2007

Thanks, Peter, for the clues you offer me.

It looks like you didn'T have to deal with this activation system - back then, they didn't have it yet.

It has nothing to do with my firewall and anti-virus either - those are set up so that I am protected but whenever any connection on any port is required by any program, I am notified and have the choice to allow connections one by one. When OmniPage asks to be connected, I allow it to, and it does get to where it needs to, e
... See more
Thanks, Peter, for the clues you offer me.

It looks like you didn'T have to deal with this activation system - back then, they didn't have it yet.

It has nothing to do with my firewall and anti-virus either - those are set up so that I am protected but whenever any connection on any port is required by any program, I am notified and have the choice to allow connections one by one. When OmniPage asks to be connected, I allow it to, and it does get to where it needs to, except that the website where I have to copy the activation code from keeps giving me activation codes that simply don't work.

As I've been struggling with this for almost a month now, I have tried all kinds of tricks to make it work, including turning off EVERYTHING, even my anti-virus, but none of the tricks I know seem to work. That is why I am suspecting the problem is isolated at the activation number Nuance provides me with. All activation numbers lead to the same error messages.

I am sooooo helpless. I have never been through a situation like this, and yet, I've seen a lot when it coms to computers and I have learned to manage my computer.

What also bugs me a lot is that Nuance has yet to try to help me. I've never seen a customer service desk as lousy as this. They just seem not to care at all. They also sound rather unprofessional on the phone.

I am about to call them - it's the last day I am allowed to be reimbursed. If I don't make a move today, I'll be stuck with this forever, and it will come down to having wasted $100 (plus the $18 exchange rate fee I had to pay).

Thanks for your help anyways!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Je me souviens ... Feb 3, 2007

I have a close friend tell me a similar story of how he bought software via internet and then how he got royally shafted by a crazy licensing procedure, half-a*d web site and totally unresponsive support.

The guy is a software developer and he knows that paying for the software is the way to go. However, after a day or two of this kind of games he just snapped and ...

... visited some alt site to download a cracked version of what he had a darn right to own in the fir
... See more
I have a close friend tell me a similar story of how he bought software via internet and then how he got royally shafted by a crazy licensing procedure, half-a*d web site and totally unresponsive support.

The guy is a software developer and he knows that paying for the software is the way to go. However, after a day or two of this kind of games he just snapped and ...

... visited some alt site to download a cracked version of what he had a darn right to own in the first place.

So ... how's your OmniRage doing, Victoria;)

Regards
Collapse

Flavio Granados F
Flavio Granados F  Identity Verified
Venezuela
English to Spanish
It is my problem now Sep 10, 2007

I used the software without any problem for one year, but I have the same problem now.

Madashell
Madashell
English to French
I have been caught out by scansoft activation too Mar 1, 2008

I downloaded the trial version of PDF converter 4 profesional, then I bought a licence for it but I have been unable to activate my product despite trying several different activation keys provided by their website.

When I rang the technical support they said that I have 4 active products and must buy more licences. I have one computer and bought one licence. This was nearly a month ago I requested a refund and suprise surprise their refund link doesn't work either. I also tried em
... See more
I downloaded the trial version of PDF converter 4 profesional, then I bought a licence for it but I have been unable to activate my product despite trying several different activation keys provided by their website.

When I rang the technical support they said that I have 4 active products and must buy more licences. I have one computer and bought one licence. This was nearly a month ago I requested a refund and suprise surprise their refund link doesn't work either. I also tried email support and low and behold no joy there either all they keep asking for is my receipt which so far I have provided twice. This gets better and better. I think they should rename themselves as scamsoft.

I am at a loss as what to do next as it is becoming very expensive to keep trying to sort this out. I am going to report my problem to my bank and as I paid by debit card and hope they will refund me as scansoft seem to be running a fraudulent site.

My advice to anyone is avoid scansoft and nuance products like the plague.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BEWARE: ScanSoft/Nuance OmniPage

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »