Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Cheap phone calls from the UK to the USA?
Thread poster: Trans-Marie
Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 12:24
English to French
Not Skype Apr 27, 2007

Although I love Skype, I use it everyday to talk to family and I have a cordless phone connected to the computer solely for Skype - I don't think it is the correct option for you.

For one thing, you will need to make a minimum purchase of about $10 US - you can't just buy $1.

Secondly, quality is not always the best depending on your computer, time of day, etc. and I wouldn't recommend it for a first time
... See more
Although I love Skype, I use it everyday to talk to family and I have a cordless phone connected to the computer solely for Skype - I don't think it is the correct option for you.

For one thing, you will need to make a minimum purchase of about $10 US - you can't just buy $1.

Secondly, quality is not always the best depending on your computer, time of day, etc. and I wouldn't recommend it for a first time business call.

However, it is simple to use and I recommend you acquaint yourself with it. You can even use it to make paypal payments now.

Cheers.
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:24
English to Swedish
+ ...
Buy a virtual phone card Apr 27, 2007

Hi MV and all,

In Sweden, we have a brilliant site that consolidate all the phone cards that they sell in the "immigrant corner shops" in the suburbs.

http://www.phonecards.se/en/

Basically, I buy a virtual phone card online, and for 10 GBP i can call 2200 minutes to the US.

Maybe not what you want or need, but there should be a similar "consolidator websit
... See more
Hi MV and all,

In Sweden, we have a brilliant site that consolidate all the phone cards that they sell in the "immigrant corner shops" in the suburbs.

http://www.phonecards.se/en/

Basically, I buy a virtual phone card online, and for 10 GBP i can call 2200 minutes to the US.

Maybe not what you want or need, but there should be a similar "consolidator website" for phonecards in the UK?!
Perhaps someone else can follow up with leads?

Best,

Jan
Collapse

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:24
Italian to English
+ ...
I-Phone Apr 27, 2007

I think that's what it was called - I used to use an i-phone card (5 pounds for some ridiculously huge number of minutes - I think it was 500-600 but can't quite remember). They can be purchased almost anywhere too.

Ruth Martínez
Ruth Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Telediscount and Yourcall from mobile phones Apr 27, 2007

I also use Telediscount and Yourcall.

The great advantage of these is that - depending on your network - if you are calling from a mobile phone these calls can be included in your free cross-network minutes so you end up paying nothing for international calls.

Check their websites for acces numbers, availability and instructions.

I have never used these from a landline, but I guess it is the same as getting an international card from your corner shop.
... See more
I also use Telediscount and Yourcall.

The great advantage of these is that - depending on your network - if you are calling from a mobile phone these calls can be included in your free cross-network minutes so you end up paying nothing for international calls.

Check their websites for acces numbers, availability and instructions.

I have never used these from a landline, but I guess it is the same as getting an international card from your corner shop.

Ruth
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheap phone calls from the UK to the USA?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »