translating EPS files
Thread poster: inemeth
inemeth
inemeth
Local time: 00:29
English to German
+ ...
Aug 15, 2003

For our projects, we have a lot of EPS illustrations to be translated in up to 19 languages. Is there any CAT tool that can handle them (maybe after conversion, as long as we can deliver translated EPS-files back.

Thank you

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't think it is possible - EPS files should be converted first Aug 15, 2003

Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) is a standard file format for importing and exporting PostScript files. It is usually a single page PostScript program that describes an illustration or entire page. The purpose of an EPS file is to be included in other pages, therefore I don't think you will find any CAT tool able of handling EPS files directly.

What you should do, is converting your EPS files into more appropriate format using, for example, Acrobat Distiller or Adobe Photoshop (the ch
... See more
Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) is a standard file format for importing and exporting PostScript files. It is usually a single page PostScript program that describes an illustration or entire page. The purpose of an EPS file is to be included in other pages, therefore I don't think you will find any CAT tool able of handling EPS files directly.

What you should do, is converting your EPS files into more appropriate format using, for example, Acrobat Distiller or Adobe Photoshop (the choice depends on the content of the files, i.e. if they contain text or graphics, or both).

The translated files should be converted back into EPS format.

[Edited at 2003-08-15 13:24]
Collapse

Camila Oliveira
Camila Oliveira
United States
Local time: 17:29
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Huge EPS Batch for Translation Mar 9, 2010

Hi All,

We have a tough mission here.

A client has requested a translation for a 500-page technical manual in Framemaker linked to EPS files.

Trados would help us handle the framemaker files very easily. However, we have not found a way to translate EPS files without the headache of handling them one by one.

Is there any kind of filter or even software to make this task easier?

Thank you!

Luciano

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Luciano Mar 9, 2010

Please better request any other file format from the client (PDF, DOC, or whatever), otherwise you will spend lots of time at converting them. You can either convert to PDFs using the Distiller, or use any other application (like ABC Amber EPS Converter http://www.processtext.com/abceps.html ) to convert into any graphic format; in both cases you will need to use OCR. As the manual is quite large, ... See more
Please better request any other file format from the client (PDF, DOC, or whatever), otherwise you will spend lots of time at converting them. You can either convert to PDFs using the Distiller, or use any other application (like ABC Amber EPS Converter http://www.processtext.com/abceps.html ) to convert into any graphic format; in both cases you will need to use OCR. As the manual is quite large, I would advise to charge the client for the time spent at conversion.

Natalia

[Edited at 2010-03-09 22:37 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SYSFILTER Jan 16, 2013

Natalie wrote:

Please better request any other file format from the client (PDF, DOC, or whatever), otherwise you will spend lots of time at converting them. You can either convert to PDFs using the Distiller, or use any other application (like ABC Amber EPS Converter http://www.processtext.com/abceps.html ) to convert into any graphic format; in both cases you will need to use OCR. As the manual is quite large, I would advise to charge the client for the time spent at conversion.

Natalia

[Edited at 2010-03-09 22:37 GMT]

I know this is an old thread, but one of my clients uses a SYSFILTER converter to convert EPS to XML, and then they take it from there using Trados Studio (previously Trados Workbench + Word).

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating EPS files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »