Is there a way to convert a Visio file to XML without Visio?
Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
French to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

Posting this to General Technical, as it only indirectly relates to Trados Studio 2009...

This isn't an urgent issue, but I'd be interested to hear possible solutions for the future. I've been sent a small Visio diagram as part of a larger translation project. The solution I've used is to translate the text (there isn't much) in a Word document, and the client is going to put the English text into the Visio diagram himself.

The Trados Studio 2009 help file states that i
... See more
Posting this to General Technical, as it only indirectly relates to Trados Studio 2009...

This isn't an urgent issue, but I'd be interested to hear possible solutions for the future. I've been sent a small Visio diagram as part of a larger translation project. The solution I've used is to translate the text (there isn't much) in a Word document, and the client is going to put the English text into the Visio diagram himself.

The Trados Studio 2009 help file states that in order to translate a Visio file, I need to open the .vsd file in Visio and save it as an XML file. I don't have Visio. I found a conversion service here:
http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/visio/

but this saves the file as a VDX file (is this Visio's proprietary XML format?), which I can't open in Studio, and changing the file extension to XML doesn't help.

Is there any way to do this conversion when I don't have Visio?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do not know about Trados, but to open it in Word... Oct 12, 2010

Maybe you can adapt this somehow:
http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/38737-translating_organizational_chart_in_word.html

"Written by Jeff Whittaker - Nov 7, 2005

To edit Pictures and Graphs in Word (created with VISIO TOOLS, for example):

a) Go to the graphic image in Word and
... See more
Maybe you can adapt this somehow:
http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/38737-translating_organizational_chart_in_word.html

"Written by Jeff Whittaker - Nov 7, 2005

To edit Pictures and Graphs in Word (created with VISIO TOOLS, for example):

a) Go to the graphic image in Word and click on it. A black box should appear around the image.

b) Press Shift-Ctrl-F9 simultaneously.

c) A Box with the word PICTURE should appear.

d) Click the RIGHT mouse button anywhere inside the graphic image.

e) A menu should appear. Select the EDIT PICTURE option.

f) You can now click on the text in the picture and edit it. You do not have to repeat this procedure the next time you open the file.
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2010

Thanks Jeff - this doesn't seem to work in Word 2007, as far as I can tell. I followed the instructions, to no avail. The Visio image is embedded into a Word doc (I think it's .doc rather than .docx).

I'd usually double-click on such objects in order to edit them, but doing so in this case produces a message to the effect that I haven't got Visio and therefore can't edit the object.

[Edited at 2010-10-12 15:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-12 15:32 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:34
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Demo Oct 12, 2010

I don't really have any experience with Visio files, but it seems that you can download a fully working demo of Visio from Microsoft. However, VDX files are indeed XML, as you can see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa218409(office.10).aspx.

You could try and define your own settings for Visio files in Studio in Tools - Options - File types - Ne
... See more
I don't really have any experience with Visio files, but it seems that you can download a fully working demo of Visio from Microsoft. However, VDX files are indeed XML, as you can see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa218409(office.10).aspx.

You could try and define your own settings for Visio files in Studio in Tools - Options - File types - New. You might be able to have Studio import tags from your VDX file. Whether that is possible or not, I think most tags should be external, unless there are formatting tags like , etc.

Hope that helps (and works)
Collapse

Walerie
Walerie
Local time: 01:34
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
free VSD to VDX converter Feb 12, 2013

For those who is interested (as I was), you can send your .vsd files to [email protected], so they will convert it for you for free.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to convert a Visio file to XML without Visio?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »