Auto-splitting & naming of audio files
Thread poster: ICONLangServ
ICONLangServ
ICONLangServ
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Nov 19, 2013

Hi,

If a voice artist submits a recording of (for example) 100 sentences, and we need to split them into 100 files (one per sentence), is there an easy (and automated) way to do this? For example, if we asked the VA to leave a 3 second pause between each sentence, is there a program that would detect the pause and make a new file?

In addition, we often have to name these 100 files in a non-intuitive way. It's not as simple as "clip1", "clip2", etc - more like "Kevin", "
... See more
Hi,

If a voice artist submits a recording of (for example) 100 sentences, and we need to split them into 100 files (one per sentence), is there an easy (and automated) way to do this? For example, if we asked the VA to leave a 3 second pause between each sentence, is there a program that would detect the pause and make a new file?

In addition, we often have to name these 100 files in a non-intuitive way. It's not as simple as "clip1", "clip2", etc - more like "Kevin", "Bob", "Jane", etc We have a spreadsheet that contains the names in one column and the written text in another. Is there any way of automatically renaming the files? If this could be combined with the automatic clipping, that would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Mark
Mark
Local time: 22:51
Italian to English
Not fully automatic Nov 19, 2013

You might be able to get off to a good start with this Audacity (free, open source) tutorial. After generating the labels, you can use one of the options in the file menu (Export multiple?) to save the sentences as separate files. If you name the labels, there's an option to export using the label n... See more
You might be able to get off to a good start with this Audacity (free, open source) tutorial. After generating the labels, you can use one of the options in the file menu (Export multiple?) to save the sentences as separate files. If you name the labels, there's an option to export using the label name as the file name.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Silence_Finder_-_Setting_Parameters

[Edited at 2013-11-19 15:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-19 15:43 GMT]
Collapse

ICONLangServ
ICONLangServ
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 19, 2013

Mark Dobson wrote:

You might be able to get off to a good start with this Audacity (free, open source) tutorial. After generating the labels, you can use one of the options in the file menu (Export multiple?) to save the sentences as separate files. If you name the labels, there's an option to export using the label name as the file name.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Silence_Finder_-_Setting_Parameters

[Edited at 2013-11-19 15:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-19 15:43 GMT]

Thanks Mark. That looks like it will do the job of splitting the files. Presumably one would have to type in each label? Ideally we'd like to be able to import the spreadsheet to avoid any error-prone manual entry, but I realize such a feature may not exist!

Mark
Mark
Local time: 22:51
Italian to English
Well... Nov 19, 2013

I was looking at how labels work just now, and saw that you can export and import labels in a "label track" as a .txt file. If you were sure that the labels were marked correctly, I guess you could fiddle it.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Importing_and_Exporting_Labels

Perhaps if you exported the labels from Audacity, opened the label track
... See more
I was looking at how labels work just now, and saw that you can export and import labels in a "label track" as a .txt file. If you were sure that the labels were marked correctly, I guess you could fiddle it.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Importing_and_Exporting_Labels

Perhaps if you exported the labels from Audacity, opened the label track .txt in Excel and updated it from your own spreadsheet? I'm not that familiar with getting Excel to export tab-delimited text files, but I imagine that it can be done. Then you could import that back into Audacity with a bit of luck.

Edit: By the way, if you want .mp3 files, you need to go through a brief (I say that sincerely) configuration process with Audacity (no such thing as a free lunch!).

[Edited at 2013-11-19 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-splitting & naming of audio files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »