Thread poster: Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
English to German
+ ...
Dec 12, 2004

Hello together!

Yesterday I have downloaded Java Runtime Environment (JRE)from the wqebsite of Sun Microsystems and installed. I first doenloaded the setup file to my computer and then installed it ioffline. It worked properly after rebooting the computer according to the instructions.

When opening my computer today, I was told that "Java is not installed on your computer" and "Javad cannot be installed due to the proxy settings on your computer".

I am real
... See more
Hello together!

Yesterday I have downloaded Java Runtime Environment (JRE)from the wqebsite of Sun Microsystems and installed. I first doenloaded the setup file to my computer and then installed it ioffline. It worked properly after rebooting the computer according to the instructions.

When opening my computer today, I was told that "Java is not installed on your computer" and "Javad cannot be installed due to the proxy settings on your computer".

I am really confused and don't know what exactly proxy settings I should change.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Steffen
Collapse

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Java problems Dec 12, 2004

Steffen, I don't know why Java is behaving this way but try this;

1.On your Internet Explorer menubar, choose: Tools/Internet Options/Connections/... This is where proxy settings are configured. Make sure nothing is selected in the proxy settings box. Look also under the LAN settings button, nothing should be selected here either, unless you are using a proxy server. (I am assuming you are working from home).

2. When you downloaded Java you may just have downloaded a sm
... See more
Steffen, I don't know why Java is behaving this way but try this;

1.On your Internet Explorer menubar, choose: Tools/Internet Options/Connections/... This is where proxy settings are configured. Make sure nothing is selected in the proxy settings box. Look also under the LAN settings button, nothing should be selected here either, unless you are using a proxy server. (I am assuming you are working from home).

2. When you downloaded Java you may just have downloaded a small 'stub' which points your PC in the direction of Sun Microsystems when you install the program, where it picks up the rest of the software.

So when you used your PC yesterday it happily 'talked' to Sun and you could use Java. You have now disconnected that little chat with Sun, or maybe Java thinks it needs to use a Proxy server to hook up with Sun again, and your PC can't run the software any longer.

So I think you need to do your download again and install while conected to the internet, or try downloading the "offline installation" which is a lot bigger than the "on-line installation".

Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language (jre-1_5_0-windows-i586.exe, 14.29 MB)

Windows Online Installation, Multi-language (jre-1_5_0-windows-i586-iftw.exe, 221.23 KB)

I hope this will help you.
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dec 12, 2004

now it works.

It seems to have been due to that in the LAN settings something had been marked.

I did not even have to download again or to reinstall.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot install Java

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »