Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:42
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2007

I don't know if such thing exists. I'm looking for an application that can do a batch find on a group of pdf files or a folder with pdf files, preferably free or at least cheap.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2003)
German to French
Copernic Desktop Search Oct 7, 2007

Try Copernic Desktop Search or its Google "concurrent".
CDS works very good, even with scanned pdf files. You can define the folder to search in or leave the field blank to search your whole HDD. Very useful.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2007

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wilbur Oct 7, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:
I'm looking for an application that can do a batch find on a group of pdf files or a folder with pdf files, preferably free or at least cheap.

Wilbur is a desktop search tool with indexed searching. It creates TXT files from PDF before indexing.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Adobe Reader has this feature Oct 7, 2007

You don't need anything more.

Regards

Andrzej

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
Search directory Oct 7, 2007

Andrzej Lejman is absolutely right - Reader does it very well.

Click Search, enter the term. You can search in the current PDF file, or browse to a directory.

I keep a directory for just this purpose. Drag PDF files into it, then search. Better still, if you have source and target versions of a document (eg a company annual report) you can then compare them side by side.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adobe Reader Oct 7, 2007

Thanks, I didn't know Adobe Reader had implemented this feature. I mostly use Fox Reader so I didn't even have it installed. I much prefer an application as oppose to using a Desktop tracker, I don't even use Google Desktop, I slowed down my system.

Claudia

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:42
English to French
+ ...
Exalead Desktop Oct 8, 2007

It's free, can search AND display content in everything that's on your computer. It gives you the option to display the original document, with e-mail messages you get to take a look at the content of each attachment (you can switch back and forth between the message and the attachments) and you can even bookmark things you've found for looking at it later.

If you specify it, it will highlight the search term in the document and you can cycle through each occurrence of the term. Oh,
... See more
It's free, can search AND display content in everything that's on your computer. It gives you the option to display the original document, with e-mail messages you get to take a look at the content of each attachment (you can switch back and forth between the message and the attachments) and you can even bookmark things you've found for looking at it later.

If you specify it, it will highlight the search term in the document and you can cycle through each occurrence of the term. Oh, it also searches the internet.

It's free and can be found at www.exalead.com.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you will need to click on "Solutions entreprise" at the bottom of the page to find the downloadable file.

[Edited at 2007-10-08 02:14]
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
shortcut in adobe reader Oct 8, 2007

... and also in acrobat is ctrl + shift + f.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ISO software to find a text in several PDF files at once

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »