Could you please help me with a problem on exporting layout as PDF in Quark?
Thread poster: Han Li
Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2007

Hello colleagues,
I have a Quark files, the layout seems good, and all the text is fine in their text boxes. But when I exported the file as PDF, some of texts are overlapped; some of text even exceeded the page margin.
Could anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Is it a normal problem in Quark?
I use Quarkxpress passport 7.3, Windows xp sp2.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2007-11-10 14:13]

Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Ukraine
Local time: 19:10
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try printing to Postscript file... Nov 10, 2007

Try printing to a Postscript file, and then processing that file with Acrobat Distiller. It may help. And check if the fonts are embedded, in some case embedding the fonts helps much...

Vladimir Shelukhin
Vladimir Shelukhin  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Russian
+ ...
In memoriam
Never export PDF from QXP Nov 10, 2007

Han Li wrote:
But when I exported the file as PDF,…
I hate QXP starting from my fist experience with that page layout program, so I can't solve your problem professionally. I rather suggest a good workaround.
1. To be on a safe side, never try to export PDF from this DTP application.
2. When you need to get a PDF file version of your layout, only print to a PDF printer. That's the most safe and versatile way with any non-Adobe application that support the print function.
3. If you aren't an owner of the full Adobe Acrobat, you may try still another trick (never tried that personally) and use one of non-Adobe PDF printers, or the Adobe online PDF print service:
http://www.pdf24.org/en/pdf24-creator.htm
http://www.neevia.com/products/dplt/
http://www.pdfonline.com/easypdf/
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/08/install-adobe-pdf-online-service-as.html
You may also perform more search for the inexpensive alternative local, i. e. desktop PDF printing apps, for there is plenty of them elswhere.
Could anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Is it a normal problem in Quark?
As for the problem itself, well, as far as I can remember, Quark Corporation used to write its own PDF export DLL instead of licencing the technology from Adobe, it's competitor and the killer apps provider. My own experience with QXP 5, though reluctant and rather short, proved those DLL was too far from perfect even when used in CP 1251 region. And you live in a CJKV country, which is the additional challenge for QXP.

[Редактировалось 2007-11-10 17:00]

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you Adobe Acrobat Prof?? Nov 11, 2007

Do not export, go to print, select Adobe - if the Distiller printer is installed in the system - then print in pdf.
PAY ATTENTION to the size of the pages when printing !!!!
If what you see in QXP is ok you shouldn't have any problem.

Regards
El Étor

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 18:10
English to German
+ ...
one possible work around.... Nov 11, 2007

Hi there if the file is not too large, take pages as individual screen shots using snagit, save them as pictures, implement abby fine reader and do the OCR if necessary post copy edit and translate, convert the target to .pdf, send to the client for annotative corrections etc., Ultimately what counts is the translation and not the format. All other pre-processing sequences are to be charged and explaint to the client also why and ask him to send you an editable text. BTW there is a facility in T... See more
Hi there if the file is not too large, take pages as individual screen shots using snagit, save them as pictures, implement abby fine reader and do the OCR if necessary post copy edit and translate, convert the target to .pdf, send to the client for annotative corrections etc., Ultimately what counts is the translation and not the format. All other pre-processing sequences are to be charged and explaint to the client also why and ask him to send you an editable text. BTW there is a facility in Trados using which one could extract the text content from Quark as well. Best regards, Brandis

p. s alternatively after the above process one could still take page markings distribution values etc., and do DTP reverse engineering back to Quark, forgot to mention earlier.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 07:48]
Collapse

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks…… Nov 11, 2007

Thanks, Brandis, Hector, Trans-Hut and Vladimir. I think I have found what's wrong with it. It's the missing font. I have ignored the missing font when I opened the file in my pc. I have just looked through the file and found the problem texts is no correspond font with it. After I found some of the fonts in my Adobe font folio, the corresponding texts are fine in PDF. And I change other missing font with the font in my system, the texts are also fine.

@Hector: Yes, I use Adobe Ac
... See more
Thanks, Brandis, Hector, Trans-Hut and Vladimir. I think I have found what's wrong with it. It's the missing font. I have ignored the missing font when I opened the file in my pc. I have just looked through the file and found the problem texts is no correspond font with it. After I found some of the fonts in my Adobe font folio, the corresponding texts are fine in PDF. And I change other missing font with the font in my system, the texts are also fine.

@Hector: Yes, I use Adobe Acrobat professional. I have tested that print in pdf and postscript file can't solve the problem.

@Vladimir: Thank you for your good advice. I would also down an alternative PDF printer to try again.

Thanks again ……
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you please help me with a problem on exporting layout as PDF in Quark?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »