sweet_rain
sweet_rain
Local time: 21:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 26, 2007

Hi there!

i'm new here and i'm new to the world of translation too to be honest! ^_^

i need to align different text from a same language but I tried with Trados and it wouldnt let me do it.

Can you suggest me any other CAT program?

There are 5 different edition of a same text, one for each year that the text has been published. They want me to align them all and see if there are any differences.

thanks!

Eli

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
A suggestion Nov 26, 2007

I've never heard of aligning texts in the same language in Trados. Why not compare each of the documents to the final version. There is an option for showing changes on screen and printing changes in Word.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Use the Compare documents feature in Word Nov 26, 2007

If you have the documents as Word files or can cut and paste them into Word, the easiest (if not the only) way is to use the Compare documents function in Word.

AFAIK, you can't use CAT tools for that.

Jørgen

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Try this website Nov 26, 2007

www.writeboard.com

It's useful for comparing documents and highlights anything that is different from version to version

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Cafetran alignment Nov 26, 2007

Cafetran lets you align any two text easily. Just open the two documents, join (synchronize) their views, and go ahead with the workflow as described in the help.

sweet_rain
sweet_rain
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 26, 2007

thanks alot!

E

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You need a diff tool Nov 26, 2007

sweet_rain wrote:
There are 5 different edition of a same text, one for each year that the text has been published. They want me to align them all and see if there are any differences.

This is not called "alignment" but "diffing". Download WinMerge (freeware) and use it (only works on plaintext files, and I think you can only compare two files at once).

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Which file format? Nov 26, 2007

sweet_rain wrote:

Hi there!

i'm new here and i'm new to the world of translation too to be honest! ^_^

i need to align different text from a same language but I tried with Trados and it wouldnt let me do it.

Can you suggest me any other CAT program?

thanks!

Eli

Hi Eli,

You didn't state which file format you're working in.

If you happen to have PDFs, there is now a very clever feature in Acrobat that does the same kind of "File Compare" like you have in Word. This is a little know gem in the later versions of Acrobat!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment of different text HELP please

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »