NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:57
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Sep 24, 2008

Hello all,

I finally broke down a few weeks ago and bought the DNS 10 suite.

I'm going to have to buy a new headset already, as this one didn't last long.

Meanwhile, my first question has to do with capitalizing sentences: for example this sentence (which I am dictating into my broken mike) started with a small M and when I tried to correct the software by saying "scratch that" actually inserts the words "scratch that" (this happens intermittently, even whe
... See more
Hello all,

I finally broke down a few weeks ago and bought the DNS 10 suite.

I'm going to have to buy a new headset already, as this one didn't last long.

Meanwhile, my first question has to do with capitalizing sentences: for example this sentence (which I am dictating into my broken mike) started with a small M and when I tried to correct the software by saying "scratch that" actually inserts the words "scratch that" (this happens intermittently, even when I pause before stating the command.) Then, out of the blue, all my text comes in all caps when I've done nothing or changed nothing in my commands (and my all caps key is off.) What am I doing wrong? I realize the software takes time to train [and so does my brain]. Also, how do I get round brackets instead of square brackets when I say Open Bracket?

Likely this information is available, but I've searched here and the Know Brainer site and can't find it.

Nancy
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:57
French to English
+ ...
Using TM software as well? Sep 24, 2008

Hi Nancy,
Are you using TM software as well as Dragon? It should capitalise automatically when you start a sentence unless you're using TM software which is in segments. I use Wordfast and I get round it by using the Wordfast Pandora's Box command to capitalise initial letters of segments. I think there' something in the manual about allowing Dragon to punctuate automatically, but I switched that off as I'd rather decide my own - especially when I'm translating!

For square br
... See more
Hi Nancy,
Are you using TM software as well as Dragon? It should capitalise automatically when you start a sentence unless you're using TM software which is in segments. I use Wordfast and I get round it by using the Wordfast Pandora's Box command to capitalise initial letters of segments. I think there' something in the manual about allowing Dragon to punctuate automatically, but I switched that off as I'd rather decide my own - especially when I'm translating!

For square brackets you just say Open square (or curly) brackets and it should recognise it.

Good luck - keep persevering!

Claire
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
similar issues ... Sep 24, 2008

Nancy Lyn,

I've been meaning to drop you a note about my experience with DNS 10, but I've been super busy (apologies!).

I don't use TM software, and I have had the same experience of telling it to "cap X" and then everything that follows is in all caps. I don't know how to solve that, but if I figure out something, I'll let you know. Claire will agree with me that some of the DNS issues are sporadic, and so these glitches you're experiencing may disappear.

... See more
Nancy Lyn,

I've been meaning to drop you a note about my experience with DNS 10, but I've been super busy (apologies!).

I don't use TM software, and I have had the same experience of telling it to "cap X" and then everything that follows is in all caps. I don't know how to solve that, but if I figure out something, I'll let you know. Claire will agree with me that some of the DNS issues are sporadic, and so these glitches you're experiencing may disappear.

As far as the problem of failing to capitalize the first letter of a new sentence, I've experienced this when the previous line was a title or subtitle and didn't have a period. I've become somewhat attuned to this this, and now know to say "cap X" at the beginning of a sentence after a subtitle. You can also say (with X standing for the first word in a sentence) "Go to X ... cap that" and then "Go to end" and it should go back, add the cap, and return to the place where you were.

As Claire notes, say "open curly bracket" for { and "open paren" for ( and that should solve that problem.

Did you get a Blue Tooth? I did, and at first, I wasn't thrilled with it because the instructions were not very detailed, but now I've got things working, and I'm glad I got it--with the other headset, I was always needing to take it off (every time I wanted a sip of water, for example, or if I wanted to get a coffee refill in the kitchen).

I'll just add one more thing for anyone else who happens to see this thread: I'm not so sure that DNS 10 is all that much faster than 9. It seems to wait to put the entire sentence on the page rather than plopping down small segments. Am I explaining that clearly? In other words, I dictate say a ten-word phrase, and I pause, and would like to see it on the screen to make sure nothing is wrong, but DNS just waits until I say "period" before it will transfer the text to the screen (unless I just wait and wait, then it cooperates--but what a waste of time). This may be a glitch of some sort or some box that I didn't check off properly, but I find it really annoying.

Other than that, I'm glad I upgraded.

Best,
Patricia
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Problems with DNS 10. Sep 24, 2008

Hi Nancy Lynn. I have been experiencing the same difficulties with DNS 10.

We have a few terms in medicine, "d2T5", for example, which is a tetanus/diphtheria vaccine, which is always written with a small "d". The small "d" distinguishes it from a stronger vaccine, written with a capital "D". One could program DNS Ver 9 to always write d2T5, even it initiated a sentence, by setting a special property to the word "d2T5".
This ability seems to have been lost in version 10. Now,
... See more
Hi Nancy Lynn. I have been experiencing the same difficulties with DNS 10.

We have a few terms in medicine, "d2T5", for example, which is a tetanus/diphtheria vaccine, which is always written with a small "d". The small "d" distinguishes it from a stronger vaccine, written with a capital "D". One could program DNS Ver 9 to always write d2T5, even it initiated a sentence, by setting a special property to the word "d2T5".
This ability seems to have been lost in version 10. Now, if "d2T5" begins a sentence, the "d" is automatically capitalized. The new properties section doesn't offer a solution, at least not one that I have discovered.

Also, I too am plagued by the "all caps" command coming on, even when I do not issue the command. This causes all the words to be capitalized. It can be reversed by saying "no caps on". I'll be checking with the guru at Knowbrainer.com and will post a solution, if there is one.

Michael

[Edited at 2008-09-24 23:34]
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Nancy Lynn's problem Sep 26, 2008

I checked with the experts.
See Chuck's solution on http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumTopic&topicId=5705

The workaround involves dictating the word as a "Text & Graphics" Command.
They are created in the Command Browser section.

Regards,

M

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Knowbrainer.com Sep 26, 2008

Michael,

I didn't even know of the existence of Knowbrainer. Thank you for sharing!

Patricia

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 07:57
English
Knowbrainer Sep 26, 2008

I've been posting here for awhile but have been absent due to the upgrade season.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 10 questions regarding sentence format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »