Thread poster: Anne Spitzmueller
Anne Spitzmueller
Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:52
English to German
Oct 8, 2009

Hello,

I recently purchased DNS 10 Preferred and I don't think it's working the way it should. I completed all the necessary steps required for setting up the programme (voice and microphone test and initial training + some additional training). Even though the microphone (I use a headset from Speed Link which was quite cheap and which plugs into the microphone jack) does not seem to be the most suitable one it passed the test during setup (there was a message that it's too loud).... See more
Hello,

I recently purchased DNS 10 Preferred and I don't think it's working the way it should. I completed all the necessary steps required for setting up the programme (voice and microphone test and initial training + some additional training). Even though the microphone (I use a headset from Speed Link which was quite cheap and which plugs into the microphone jack) does not seem to be the most suitable one it passed the test during setup (there was a message that it's too loud).

The processor of my laptop is fast enough (Dual Core, 2.10GHz) and it comes with enough RAM (2 GB). I have also checked my audio settings. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine (volume of the speakers is on high, recording over the microphone is no problem either). I also have installed the latest version of DirectX and Microsoft Windows Script 5.7 (the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Troubleshooting website http://www.voiceperfect.com/support/troubleshooting/dns recommends to do the latter).

I have played around a little bit with DNS during the last two weeks and it seems to work quite well when dictating in Word. It works in Deja Vu X too, but I get the impression I have to make more corrections there. However, when I want to use DNS in a browser (I have tried Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 8) it only carries out some commands. Now I have not tried out all possible commands but I noticed that for example DNS does not obey the command "write new e-mail" or "open this e-mail".

Also, it happened that the microphone did not go into or wake up from sleep mode when I told it to do so. Most of the time, this command is being carried out properly, though.

Now I am wondering what the reason for this erratic behaviour of Dragon is? Maybe something went wrong with the installation? Or is the microphone not good enough? Or perhaps there is a problem with the sound/soundcard of my laptop?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anne
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 14:52
English
A few things to try Oct 10, 2009

Rerun the audio setup wizard but hit play instead of finish in the final step. Listen for anything that sounds out of place such as a buzz, static etc. This will tell you if there is a problem with your microphone.

As far as the sound card on your laptop, Integrated soundcards can be a problem and we usually recommend against them. The best solution for this is a USB soundcard. USB sound pod's tend to be: (1) more reliable, (2) produce stable and high quality digital output, (3) ma
... See more
Rerun the audio setup wizard but hit play instead of finish in the final step. Listen for anything that sounds out of place such as a buzz, static etc. This will tell you if there is a problem with your microphone.

As far as the sound card on your laptop, Integrated soundcards can be a problem and we usually recommend against them. The best solution for this is a USB soundcard. USB sound pod's tend to be: (1) more reliable, (2) produce stable and high quality digital output, (3) make microphones used for speech recognition basically plug-and-play, (4) turn standard microphones into USB microphone and make them transportable from system to system, and (5) have the added advantage of being able to be used with the same user profile on different systems (i.e., roaming users or users that are updated and transported via USB thumb drives). All of this makes USB sound pod's more utilitarian and practical vs. internal sound cards. Also, some built-in internal sound cards can suffer from EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) from power supplies and/or by virtue of being embedded in motherboards in such a manner as to be affected by the overall magnetic field produced in such. USB sound pod are not generally subject to EMI unless the user is foolish enough to place the sound pod in the general vicinity of anything that gives off a strong magnetic field. Obviously, avoiding this is a simple process of keeping the USB sound pod away from any such source of Electromagnetic Interference.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
ALWAYS Ask If Your Speech Recognition Vendor Is Nuance Certified
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 22:52
German to English
Power Scheme Oct 10, 2009

Check that the power scheme on your laptop is set to High Performance. Most people run their laptops on other power schemes and this seems to throttle the CPU performance, impacting negatively on software such as DNS. According to Nuance you should get an error message of some kind relating to this, but it's worth trying even if you don't get an error message.

Nuance knowledge base:
CPU's used in laptops, tablets and other mobile systems may contain power saving technologies
... See more
Check that the power scheme on your laptop is set to High Performance. Most people run their laptops on other power schemes and this seems to throttle the CPU performance, impacting negatively on software such as DNS. According to Nuance you should get an error message of some kind relating to this, but it's worth trying even if you don't get an error message.

Nuance knowledge base:
CPU's used in laptops, tablets and other mobile systems may contain power saving technologies which reduce the processing speed of the CPU to conserve battery life. This means that even though the system's CPU may meet the minimum system requirements for installation it may actually be running at less than the requirement at the time of installation.

We have seen this occur in systems using the following CPU's:

* Intel Centrino Pentium M
* Mobile AMD Sempron

In Microsoft Vista:

1. Make sure that the system is plugged in and not running on battery power alone.
2. Click on the Windows "Start" button.
3. Type "Power Options" in the "Start Search" field and press the "Enter" key on the keyboard. Power Options can also be found in the Control Panel.
4. From the "Select a power plan" options choose "High Performance".
5. Close the Power Options dialog.
6. Restart the Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 Preferred for German not working properly

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »