Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2004

Working between jobs, I forgot to close the TMX for one job and open the TMX for the second job, so now I have one incomplete memory and one mixed up one.

How can I separate them? Remove the wrong data from the first TMX, then add it to the second TMX (maybe I can simply use the BAK copy to update the second one?).

Which files (of the many that Trados produces) should I use?

And while on the subject, which of teh Trados files can be eliminated as not neces
... See more
Working between jobs, I forgot to close the TMX for one job and open the TMX for the second job, so now I have one incomplete memory and one mixed up one.

How can I separate them? Remove the wrong data from the first TMX, then add it to the second TMX (maybe I can simply use the BAK copy to update the second one?).

And while on the subject, which of teh Trados files can be eliminated as not necessary?

TIA:-)
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TMX? Mar 1, 2004

Sorry, Ailish, you're confusing me here: are you talking about translation memories (TM), or about export files in TMX format?

Best regards, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM, sorry! Mar 1, 2004

Sorry, Ralf, it's translation memories:-)

Thanks,
Ailish

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ignore the first, cleanup for the second Mar 1, 2004

Hi again - thanks for clarifying!

How can I separate them? Remove the wrong data from the first TMX,

Unless this represents a real problem, I would just leave it in.

... then add it to the second TMX (maybe I can simply use the BAK copy to update the second one?).

Exactly: just create a copy of the .bak file, change it back to .doc (as otherwise it won't be recognised in the cleanup dialogue), and run a cleanup, updating your TM.

Er... how many files does Trados produce, other than the .bak file?

And while on the subject, which of teh Trados files can be eliminated as not necessary?

Don't get your point here - each TM consists of five files: eliminate one of them and run the risk of killing your TM...

You may want to keep TMs in a separate folder from translation projects.

Or are you using Workspace? If yes, simple solution: forget Workspace...

HTH, Ralf

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 1, 2004

...again, Ralf, you are a life saver:-) You do a really great job here!

The files I am referring to are with extensions (yes, 5 for each memoory), .iif, .mwf, etc.

With Wordfast I know it was possible to get rid of these little files, so I was wondering....

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Index files Mar 2, 2004

Glad I could help.

The files I am referring to are with extensions (yes, 5 for each memoory), .iif, .mwf, etc.

With Wordfast I know it was possible to get rid of these little files, so I was wondering....

Don't touch'em - these files contain the index information required for the TM to work properly (or, depending on which one you were to delete, to work at all).

As I said, it's a good idea to store them in a separate folder.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixed up TMX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »