Автор темы: Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 02:44
испанский => английский
+ ...
Sep 7, 2004

I recently purchased the freelance version 6.5. SInce I never used any CAT before, I have spent quite a great deal of time just reading and studying it. When I go to the tutorial on "workbench", I see a triple box at the top and at the bottom I see the word program.
When I open my translators workbench, I see the triple box at the top, but not the one with the word program at the bottom. All the boxes seem to be inactive, and I cannot write anything on any of them.
I have not been
... See more
I recently purchased the freelance version 6.5. SInce I never used any CAT before, I have spent quite a great deal of time just reading and studying it. When I go to the tutorial on "workbench", I see a triple box at the top and at the bottom I see the word program.
When I open my translators workbench, I see the triple box at the top, but not the one with the word program at the bottom. All the boxes seem to be inactive, and I cannot write anything on any of them.
I have not been able to write anything at all since I purchased this product. Also the flags depicting the languages are not there. Please help!
I would really appreciate any type of help
Sonia in California
Collapse

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Германия
Local time: 08:44
немецкий => английский
+ ...
Tutorials Sep 7, 2004

Hello,

there are some tutrials and demos on www.translationzone.com under Downloads.

If you want to work with Trados, you must know, that you will work with 3 main applications:

1. Trados Workbench, which is the database engine from your CAT system.
2. An editor for overwrite the source files. One possible Editor is Word for Windows. The communication with the W
... See more
Hello,

If you want to work with Trados, you must know, that you will work with 3 main applications:

2. An editor for overwrite the source files. One possible Editor is Word for Windows. The communication with the Workbench application works with macros in WinWord. Another editor is the tAGEditor, which comes with you Trados version. Another editors are the T-Window apllications.

3. You can additional use an terminology database. Trados can work with Multiterm 95 (you can find a setup on your cd) and with the newer client Multiterm iX.

Hope it helps

Hans

[Edited at 2004-09-07 18:14]
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thank you Hanks! Sep 7, 2004

DSC wrote:

Hello,

2. An editor for overwrite the source files. One possible Editor is Word for Windows. The communication with the Workbench application works with macros in WinWord. Another editor is the tAGEditor, which comes with you Trados version. Another editors are the T-Window apllications.

3. You can additional use an terminology database. Trados can work with Multiterm 95 (you can find a setup on your cd) and with the newer client Multiterm iX.

Hope it helps

Hans

[Edited at 2004-09-07 18:14]

Sonia Maldonado
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
for Trados workbench 6.5 Sep 7, 2004

Hanks, thank you very much, it helps to know that. I will try to follow your advice tonight. The tutorials I have dowloaded them all and I have a pretty good idea of how they should work, but what I have no idea is where to write my text, since the boxes in workbench seen to be inactive, which means to me that they don't respond when I try to enter any information.
I have windows XP and the word program I have is wordperfect 9. I am a full time interpreter English/Spanish and work for
... See more
Hanks, thank you very much, it helps to know that. I will try to follow your advice tonight. The tutorials I have dowloaded them all and I have a pretty good idea of how they should work, but what I have no idea is where to write my text, since the boxes in workbench seen to be inactive, which means to me that they don't respond when I try to enter any information.
I have windows XP and the word program I have is wordperfect 9. I am a full time interpreter English/Spanish and work for a multinational, but I wanted to go independent and do translations that is why I purchased Trados Freelance 6.5 two months ago and I have nothing but agravation trying to learn it at night (after work), and not being able to do anything yet. I do have the tutorials and do understand how the program should work. I am fully computer literate, but this trados seem unfriendly to me and even more when the tech support is only open limited hours and it is expensive, as opposed to what I am used to here in the USA where any software includes free tech support.
I really appreciate your help. I have seen your postings and know you are very knowleageable about trados. Thank you
Sonia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
польский => немецкий
+ ...
You need Microsoft Word, not Wordperfect Sep 7, 2004

Trados will not work with Wordperfect.
Look in Trados help for supported formats.
You need the Workbench allways started and running, but you will not make any entries there. The translation units (text segments) are opened in Word or TAG Editor or in T-Windows.

Regards
Jerzy

Sonia Maldonado
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
I understand workbench work with tag editor Sep 7, 2004

Is tag editor accessed through the workbench?
Thanks
Sonia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
польский => немецкий
+ ...
Sorry, but you are mixing things up Sep 7, 2004

Working with Trados means working with more then one application at one time (at least two), to get the text translated.

Trados Workbench is the tool, which manages the translation memory. Within it you can create a translation memory, which would be the first step for you. You can also analyse textes there and perform some other functions, which are not essential at the beginning.

The text to be translated is NEVER opened with Workbench. For this purpose you can use Wo
... See more
Working with Trados means working with more then one application at one time (at least two), to get the text translated.

Trados Workbench is the tool, which manages the translation memory. Within it you can create a translation memory, which would be the first step for you. You can also analyse textes there and perform some other functions, which are not essential at the beginning.

The text to be translated is NEVER opened with Workbench. For this purpose you can use Word (to open DOC and RTF files), TAG Editor (to open a wide variety of file formats) or T-Windows, according to the file type you have to translate.

Let´s assume, you have a DOC (MS Word) file, which is to be translated.

The steps (very briefly) were then:

- Start Workbench
- From the file menu select new and create a new translation memory. Select source and target language, save TM with a convenient name. If you allready have a TM, simply open it with the file menu.
- Start Word
- Open the file to be translated (with Word)
- Set the language of this file to your target language.
- Press ALT+Home to start translating. The first segment will be opened. Translate it. Press ALT+NUM(+) to close the translated segment and open the next one.

For more information refer to the tutorials and Trados help.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Германия
немецкий => английский
+ ...
Installing Word after installing Trados Sep 8, 2004

Hello,

if you install Word after you have installed Trados you will have to move the Trdos dot file into the Makro Autostart directory of Word.
Another possibility is to install Trados again.

After this you will see an additional symbol bar and an additioanl menu in Word which includes the functions to open a segment for translation with Trados

Maybe it will be a good idea to make an tutorial with Trados.

Hans

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
Великобритания
Local time: 07:44
английский => португальский
+ ...
Look for someone willing to brief you Sep 9, 2004

Hi,

If you have never worked with Trados and have never seen anyone working with it, my advice is to get someone near you who is willing to give you a brief on that. I am sure you will find out someone even trough PROZ.

Otherwise it will be very difficult. This assuming you have never seen Trados before and don't know anything about Trados formats nor Trados terminology.

All the best
M�
... See more
Hi,

If you have never worked with Trados and have never seen anyone working with it, my advice is to get someone near you who is willing to give you a brief on that. I am sure you will find out someone even trough PROZ.

Otherwise it will be very difficult. This assuming you have never seen Trados before and don't know anything about Trados formats nor Trados terminology.

All the best
Mónica
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thank you all for your help Sep 10, 2004

No, I never worked with Trados or any other CAT tool. It has been extremely difficult to try and understand all the concept, but I am halfway there. With some of your advice, I was able to open workbench and also the winaling, which I had not even looked at,but it was in my computer already downloaded.
Since I am a full time Interpreter, I get limited time to study, but I am going to be here this Saturday and Sunday trying to go forward. Monica suggested that I meet someome with Trados
... See more
No, I never worked with Trados or any other CAT tool. It has been extremely difficult to try and understand all the concept, but I am halfway there. With some of your advice, I was able to open workbench and also the winaling, which I had not even looked at,but it was in my computer already downloaded.
Since I am a full time Interpreter, I get limited time to study, but I am going to be here this Saturday and Sunday trying to go forward. Monica suggested that I meet someome with Trados to help me out, maybe i will post a job for that, because in the USA there are very few people who had ever used it and is not popular here yet. I really know no one at all , except you guys.
I will continue to try, and will continue to ask silly questions (I believe that no question is too stupid, when you don't know the answer) and I know that I will get to master it. The same way I master the English language as an adult. I don't give up and I am still a year away from going solo with this translation business, so I will study every weekend if necessary. I have several tutorials, but some are hard to understand at first, but I will try them as many times as I can until I am able to understand them well.
Thank you guys for all your help.
Sonia
Collapse

Philip Swann
Philip Swann  Identity Verified
Франция
французский => английский
+ ...
I nearly threw my (paid) Trados 6.5 into the trash !!! Jun 4, 2005

Dear Sonia,

Meeting Trados (a German Product) for the first time is a horrible experience. The documentation is painful and out of date. The contrast with the main competitor (WordFast) is huge: clarity, efficiency and excellent user interface. Underneath TRADOS there is a large base of information and functionality, which can be leveraged. TRADOS is a server-based system aimed mostly at mid-sized translation agencies. TRADOS is also available to freelance translators working with a
... See more
Dear Sonia,

Meeting Trados (a German Product) for the first time is a horrible experience. The documentation is painful and out of date. The contrast with the main competitor (WordFast) is huge: clarity, efficiency and excellent user interface. Underneath TRADOS there is a large base of information and functionality, which can be leveraged. TRADOS is a server-based system aimed mostly at mid-sized translation agencies. TRADOS is also available to freelance translators working with agencies that support TRADOS....!!

Best Regards,

Philip Swann

hedsonia wrote:

Since I am a full time Interpreter, I get limited time to study, but I am going to be here this Saturday and Sunday trying to go forward. Monica suggested that I meet someome with Trados to help me out, maybe i will post a job for that, because in the USA there are very few people who had ever used it and is not popular here yet. I really know no one at all , except you guys.
I will continue to try, and will continue to ask silly questions (I believe that no question is too stupid, when you don't know the answer) and I know that I will get to master it. The same way I master the English language as an adult. I don't give up and I am still a year away from going solo with this translation business, so I will study every weekend if necessary. I have several tutorials, but some are hard to understand at first, but I will try them as many times as I can until I am able to understand them well.
Thank you guys for all your help.
Sonia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados freelance 6.5 - Workbench

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »